• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Armalite AR-10 Super SASS

HK_guy31

Private
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2008
Lake Stevens,WA USA
I have been doing some research on my new Armalite AR-10 Super SASS rifle, and I cannot find any information on the who manufactures the barrel. Armalite customer service will not disclose this information so I turn to my fellow members, do any of you know who the manufacturer is?

Also my rifle in a solid rest will consistently shoot 1 MOA with Black Hills 168 match BTHP, what can I do to improve this to .50 or sub MOA?

Love the forum, looking forward to sharing in the knowledge this membership has.

Re: Armalite AR-10 Super SASS

I am not a big help on who made your barrel, sorry. For the AR50 there are 6 or 7 makers ans Armalite does not keep track of this information from what I gather.

If you do not already reload, now will be a goos time to start/learn. This is how you'll be able to decrease your groups by 50%. Maybe others will disagree but I don't know how you'll be able to do much better without handloading.

Armalite told me they do not disclose this information due to competition in the market, It is my opinion that this is B.S. and I do not see a logical reason to deny this to a paying customer. I's an irritant to say the least.

That would be frustrating. That keeps customers in the dark about what they actually have, but more importantly if the gear justifies the price tag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redneck_Riot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been doing some research on my new Armalite AR-10 Super SASS rifle, and I cannot find any information on the who manufactures the barrel. Armalite customer service will not disclose this information so I turn to my fellow members, do any of you know who the manufacturer is?

Also my rifle in a solid rest will consistently shoot 1 MOA with Black Hills 168 match BTHP, what can I do to improve this to .50 or sub MOA?

Love the forum, looking forward to sharing in the knowledge this membership has. </div></div>

I had heard before that Lothar Walther made the barrel blanks for the Armalite AR10 rifles.

I have ask the same question too, could not get an answer, for the price i'm getting a Noveske 21" barrel, I think I will be better off in the long run.

In all honesty if they told you that it was LW or made in China, would that matter much if it shot?

It would to me. Don't want any Chinese crap on anything I might bet my life on. (hoping my LMT is all American made of American materials....
eek.gif
)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rommel500</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redneck_Riot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been doing some research on my new Armalite AR-10 Super SASS rifle, and I cannot find any information on the who manufactures the barrel. Armalite customer service will not disclose this information so I turn to my fellow members, do any of you know who the manufacturer is?

Love the forum, looking forward to sharing in the knowledge this membership has. </div></div>

I had heard before that Lothar Walther made the barrel blanks for the Armalite AR10 rifles. </div></div>

LW among others. The AR10T's that had LW barrels were marked as such with a "LW" prefix in the model number. Armalite stopped doing this a few years ago if I'm not mistaken.

Armalite contracts certain barrel makers or maker that turns the barrels to Armalites specifications. I would take a good guess that they use either Wilson, Douglas, (as BCP has stated) and or Lothar Walther.

If the OP wants sub MOA try using different match ammo (fgmm 168's for example) or hand loading. I'm sure the gun is good for it.

I sent an email to the great Charles Cutshaw and asked him the same question on barrel maker for the SASS, his reply is that to his knowledge Armalite used Mike Rock but he could not verify this. thought I would share -now I will call/email Rock Creek to research this further, will post my findings.

Thanks for all the insights, I have obtained a load recipe from a fellow member he uses for sub moa will post those results shortly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jolly roger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would to me. Don't want any Chinese crap on anything I might bet my life on. (hoping my LMT is all American made of American materials....
eek.gif
) </div></div>

so you are staking your life on this gun?

Their premium services rifles are built with Broughton barrels, I'm not sure about the SuperSASS though. Not sure why they would disclose their service builds barrel makers and not their SASS.

When ARmalite first started making the AR-10T it used a Rock barrel, it was blackened and a different profile than the current T. A friend of mine who passed away last year had one and I remember the proflie being a tad thinnner that what mine is. Mine is A LW and is marked near the chamber " NPR " or something like that, I have not had the handguard off for a long time. Mine is about 8 years lod. I know that at some point they stopped using Rock, LW and the went to Wilson and Douglas as of a couple of years ago. I would bet the newer models are still using the latter two.

Have you learned anything new as of yet?

Did you try another members load and get similar results in your SASS?