• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

armalite ar-30

prodigalson

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2012
Butler, PA
Hey all. I haven't heard anything about this rifle and was wondering if anybody here has any trigger time behind one. (300 win mag in particular) I am very curious about the trigger (weight, and break). Also about the accuracy of the rifle and the effectiveness of the muzzle brake that comes on it. Any help would be appreciated greatly. Thank you.

Re: armalite ar-30

I have shot the AR-50 a bit. This was almost my first long range rifle. I ended up going with a rem 700 police. If i had it to do again knowing then what I know now I might very well have went with this rifle. Quick pro and con

Pro's
Any rem 700 trigger will fit it.
Very effective brake included with rifle
Lapped barrel from factory
Already equipped with "bottom metal"

Cons
Stock and cheek piece not super comfortable.
Not much aftermarket accessories available. you
kind of got what you got with this rifle from my understanding, no tmuch available as far as customization.
Fairly hefty rifle.

That is about all I can give you on this rifle from my limited access to it. Hope that helps you out a bit

I started out with the AR-30 in .338lm before moving on to a DTA. It was a great rifle to get into the cartridge. Great accuracy from a factory rifle. It would hold1/2-3/4 moa with reloads and the Brake made it feel like I was shooting a .223. Very effective. They are extremely long and heavy so using it as a bench gun only is recommended.

Thank you for being helpful guys. Skeeter, the weight of the rifle was something I was moderately concerned about because my partner and I, a lot of times have to do some hiking to get to our FFP. Also, as far as the stock trigger goes, how would you rate it. Any concerns with it being sloppy or anything?

As long as your in decent shape you should be fine with a bit of hiking. And if your hunting, pick a nice spot in a high place and bring a lunch. No stalking with this thing. Obviously it can be done, but trying to image crawling through some fence wires with the length of it would be a pain. Just get a nice padded sling for it. Imo, the trigger was pretty nice being on the stiff side. It's been a few years but I want to say it felt around 4.5-5lbs pull. Barely any slop on mine. If I was stuck with the AR-30 again, I would replace the pistol grip to an Ergo soft one instead of the hard plastic one it comes with. And I would replace the trigger. A bipod is an absolute must. Hope this helps.

On a side note. The reason I bought it was to get into the .338LM cartridge. If I was looking at a 300wm I would look into a Rem 700 Sendero and have a smith put a brake on it. You will get more accuracy out of a Sendero and have plenty of upgrades available. The AR-30 can be had for around $1650 and a Sendero with brake installed would run you around $1200. The AR-30 is long and really bulky, kind of overkill for the 300wm and the 308 versions it comes in. But if your set on the looks, go for it. It really does turn some heads as it looks just like it's big brother (.50). The muzzle brake is amazingly effective. Good luck!

Well skeeter, its funny that you mention what my heart is set on. Between caliber selections I want to get into either a 300 Wm or 6.5 round. (Creedmoor or the .260 REM) buuuut what really would like is a wichester m70 action. That's why I'm probably going to buy a fn SPR and convert it to a 6.5. I'm a weirdo I know.

I just finally scoped my AR-30 this past weekend, unfortunately it was raining so I did not get a chance to shoot it. Hopefully this weekend. If so, I will let you know.

Attachments

• IMAG0232.jpg
    IMAG0232.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 33