• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Armalite barrel w/ DPMS upper?

SierraCharlie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2009
NY
Has anyone ever employed this combination? I've read of people that have but I'd like to hear from someone who has tangible experience.

SC

Re: Armalite barrel w/ DPMS upper?

DPMS says on their website that their stuff is not interchangable. May be marketing hype, may be true.
Guess worth a call to DPMS.

I have heard the guys at 762SASS have sold a lot of Armalite barrels to guys with DPMS recievers. I was thinking of doing the exact same thing as I feel Armalite makes better quality 308 components and seem to be more available. If you do you should use the same make(Armalite) of barrel, gas tube, bolt and bolt carrier group. DPMS threaded handguards are needed to match the upper reciever threading though. At this point I see no reason it shouldn't work.Look up 762sass online and see if you can get references. Hope this helps.

The barrels are interchangeable.
The gas tube length is different (Armalite is longer, gas block is closer to muzzle)
The barrel nut is not interchangeable (different threads).
The upper to lower is not interchangeable.

DPMS's statement in the FAQ does not apply to barrels specifically.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scarlett_Red</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have heard the guys at 762SASS have sold a lot of Armalite barrels to guys with DPMS recievers. I was thinking of doing the exact same thing as I feel Armalite makes better quality 308 components and seem to be more available. If you do you should use the same make(Armalite) of barrel, gas tube, bolt and bolt carrier group. DPMS threaded handguards are needed to match the upper reciever threading though. At this point I see no reason it shouldn't work.</div></div>

Yep, I've <span style="font-style: italic">heard</span> this too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomholzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The barrels are interchangeable.
The gas tube length is different (Armalite is longer, gas block is closer to muzzle)
The barrel nut is not interchangeable (different threads).
The upper to lower is not interchangeable.

DPMS's statement in the FAQ does not apply to barrels specifically.

</div></div>

Boomholzer, do you have specific experience with this? I ask because I spoke to Noveske about this issue yesterday and was told that interior dimensions of the uppers were different and there was a possibility of the bolt not stripping rounds.

SC

Specifically, what where the dimension differences? Were the reciever bores different sizes compared to the diameter of the barrel extension or did the barrel extension not allow the barrel to seat far enough back into the reciever? Those are the only issues that come to mind that may have an effect. More likely the latter. You could machine it to seat it deeper if needed. I have wondered myself if there could be a problem with that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scarlett_Red</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Specifically, what where the dimension differences? Were the reciever bores different sizes compared to the diameter of the barrel extension or did the barrel extension not allow the barrel to seat far enough back into the reciever? Those are the only issues that come to mind that may have an effect. More likely the latter. You could machine it to seat it deeper if needed. I have wondered myself if there could be a problem with that.</div></div>

He didn't go into detail but he did allude to the possibility of the extension not being long enough. I'm experiencing some dissonance because the people at Krieger said it is not a problem.

SC

While I was searching for barrels, I read several times that a DPMS barrel could be used on an Armalite as long as the DPMS bolt was used. I would guess the inverse is true.

I do not have any firsthand knowledge though.

When my Noveske AR10 barrel gets here, I would be happy to measure the OD and length of the barrel extension for you if you would like.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While I was searching for barrels, I read several times that a DPMS barrel could be used on an Armalite as long as the DPMS bolt was used. I would guess the inverse is true.

I do not have any firsthand knowledge though.

When my Noveske AR10 barrel gets here, I would be happy to measure the OD and length of the barrel extension for you if you would like.</div></div>

I was actually just about to contact you. I've been following your search for a barrel (Noveske is my 1ST choice if I can make it work)and figured you might have the information I need. So yes, if you could shoot me those measurements when you get your barrel, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
SC

I just talked to my gunsmith today about the possibility, and he confirmed what Noveske said to you. He was a little vague, but said something about the barrel extension being different in length and didn't think it was something that could be fixed easily. Some guys may be doing it out there, but I would get information from a competent gunsmith first. Dang, now my DPMS recievers will have to wait for a barrel.

I passed on buying a complete DPMS cabine, a few years ago, after being told the upper wouldn't fit my 10-T lower. Didn't get the details on the why it wouldn't, just passed on the deal. Is there no such thing as mil-standard in the .308 caliber semi-autos?

The DPMS upper won't fit the Armalite lower because of the contour on the back of the receiver. The DPMS is radiused and the AR10 has the straight slant. I have heard tell that the AR10 upper will fit on a DPMS lower, but there will be a gap. I have not heard of anyone actually firing one that way to check for function.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gnfiter3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there no such thing as mil-standard in the .308 caliber semi-autos? </div></div>

Nope

For anyone that's interested, I just measured my DPMS upper receiver and came up with an inside diameter of 1.1885 and a length of 1.249 from the front of the threads to the ramp.

Does anyone have the Armalite extension measurements?

SC

Diameter is 1.184"

Length from the breech to the step that seats against the receiver is 1.250"

Sounds like the barrel will screw into the upper. It's just a matter if the bolt will lock up in the extension.

Shouldn't be a problem if I use an Armalite BCG?

SC

GAP says it will not work and will require a bunch of work to make it so.

There used to be a poster on another site that did in fact use a Noveske barrel on a DPMS build but he may have taken off the barrel extension and replaced it with a DPMS one, I can't remember as it has been awhile since he posted. This is likely what some of the builders are referring to when they say it can be done but "requires a bunch of work".

Obviously I have far less experience than GAP, but my question would be "Why?"

If the measurements match up, then I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I had both a DPMS LR-308 here and my AR10. On these rifles the bolt carrier groups will interchange and will headspace with the barrels. They aren't perfect, but they would work. One was on the tight end and one was a little loose. Now I don't know about cycling, because the LR-308 is not my rifle and I can't take a chance on damaging someone else's rifle just on a whim.

I have not swapped barrels, but the measurements look like there should be no problem.

Other than the burning desire to put a Noveske barrel on a DPMS pattern rifle I don't know what there is to gain by swapping parts about and building a "mutt" rifle.

George told me via PM when I asked him if it would just need to be headspaced: He said, "not really the barrel extention would have to be changed and retimed. not at all easy."

Anyway, the only reason to want a DPMS upper is to mate with the DPMS lower so you can use the PMAG's right?

Isn't someone, maybe Seekins, working on a Armalite compatible lower that takes DPMS magazines? I thought I read that somewhere here.

Noveske uses the Armalite platform and people like their rigs... what's the deal?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyway, the only reason to want a DPMS upper is to mate with the DPMS lower so you can use the PMAG's right?

Isn't someone, maybe Seekins, working on a Armalite compatible lower that takes DPMS magazines? I thought I read that somewhere here.

Noveske uses the Armalite platform and people like their rigs... what's the deal? </div></div>

I had heard that CMMG was going to do a Armalite style lower with a DPMS mag well but that the project was stopped. That would be the configuration I would prefer.

I believe that some where in this long post, http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=62&t=378850 , it mentions that you need to remove the "mag block shelf" from an Armalite AR10 upper in order to use a KAC/DPMS mag. So apparently,a little machining to the Armalite upper is necessary to use the KAC/DPMS pattern mag. Simply buying a lower with KAC/DPMS magwell and tossing it on, isn't going to work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">George told me via PM when I asked him if it would just need to be headspaced: He said, "not really the barrel extention would have to be changed and retimed. not at all easy." </div></div>

The only reason to retime the barrel extension would be to headspace the barrel. If the barrel headspaces correctly, then there is no need to mess with the extension.

A couple dimensions I would double check, would be, firing pin length and location of the hammer surface on the bolts between the two bolt carriers. There may be some differences in fire control group locations (fore and aft) between the two lowers, due to different magwell sizes, and bolt hold open locations.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DogboneS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A couple dimensions I would double check, would be, firing pin length and location of the hammer surface on the bolts between the two bolt carriers. There may be some differences in fire control group locations (fore and aft) between the two lowers, due to different magwell sizes, and bolt hold open locations. </div></div>

Why would any of that have any bearing if you are using a DPMS bolt carrier group in a DPMS upper with an Armalite barrel?

I believe that is the question the OP was asking.

You cannot fit a DPMS upper on an Armalite lower and vice versa. (well you can fit an Armalite upper on a DPMS lower, but you will have a gap and it will look like crap).

There is a significant difference in the buffers and springs used. The gas port should be different because of this.

I would use the Armalite barrel, BCG, buffer, spring, and buffer tube (if carbine, rifle is the same).

I haven't checked on this post in awhile but here's an update;

As LonewolfUSMC stated the original intent of the post was to find out if an Armalite-extensioned barrel could be used on a DPMS rifle.

The answer appears to be yes. I'm having an 18 Noveske installed on a DPMS upper built by fellows that are pretty renowned for their work. For all intents and purposes the extensions are the same, a conclusion that I reached with the help of LonewolfUSMC.

With this info in hand I contacted this shop and they confirmed that there is no difference between the extensions. The differences are in the length of the BCGs, the length of the gas tubes, and the shape of the upper receiver but that that barrel will mate to either upper receiver and will headspace properly with either bolt.

I'm patiently awaiting the finished product. If there are any hitches in the process I'll let you guys know.

SC

Any updates on this? I just bought an AR10 pencil BBL I want to stick on a DPMS rifle.

Thanks.

PS... I'll soon have both DPMS and Armalite BBL's in hand and will post measurements and check headspace with a new DPMS bolt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any updates on this? I just bought an AR10 pencil BBL I want to stick on a DPMS rifle.

Thanks.

PS... I'll soon have both DPMS and Armalite BBL's in hand and will post measurements and check headspace with a new DPMS bolt. </div></div>

The upper is completed and in hand I'm just waiting on my stock. When it arrives I'll screw it on and take to the range.

BTW thanks for the Atlas fix.

SC

Well, got the Armalite barrel in and did some checking.

The OD is within .002" on both extensions.

The shoulder to face of extension measurement on the Armalite is 1.250", on the DPMS it's 1.240", so when you stick the Arm. bbl in, it sticks in .010" too far into the upper. Enough that you can see and feel it.

A brand new, unfired DPMS bolt will NOT close on a Forster NO-GO headspace guage in the DPMS bbl. Good to go.

It WILL close on the Armalite barrel, snug, but I can do it with my finger pressure only, just holding the bare bolt and barrel in my hands. NOT good to go!

So, in this case, with these barrels, it is NOT SAFE to just swap barrels.

Anyone doing custom work could make it work, and maybe tolerances in two different barrels may be fine, but don't do it without a headspace guage.

This is a bummer, as I was hoping to use all DPMS stuff, but looks like I would have to get an Arm. BCG and buffer as a minimum, I'll probably sell the Arm. barrel and just buy an AP4 bbl and recontour it to get the weight down. I want to build an ultra lite hunting .308.

Anyone need an excellent AR10 pencil barrel?

this is a real hot topic for me , it began when lookin at prices for high caps for my ar 10t. i dont run alot of consecutive rounds through this gun but like many , i like tha idea of haveing 5-6 20 ,25 rd magazines at my disposal."you never know"
they do tha same crap on magazines , i dont know why all of em couldnt just use m1a mags and been done with it. instead they have to stamp a raised mag catch box on one , or make tha rear rib a little higher on tha other.it would be nice if it was standardized . your at tha range "or god forbid somewhere really important" and your outa loaded mags , hey gimmie a mag im out. and its well my mag has too much rib in tha back etc. i think they screwed up with tha lack of interchangeability of parts. some parts i know have to be different to strive to make a better product but something like magazines , c'mon thats rediculous.....ok i feel better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A brand new, unfired DPMS bolt will NOT close on a Forster NO-GO headspace guage in the DPMS bbl. Good to go.

It WILL close on the Armalite barrel, snug, but I can do it with my finger pressure only, just holding the bare bolt and barrel in my hands. NOT good to go! </div></div>

Were you using .308Win or 7.62NATO Guages?

There is another post somewhere on here that I made with the actual Headspace numbers that I got.

LoneWolf...

It was a .308 Forster No-Go, it's all I have, I'll order a 7.62 tomorrow.

Maybe DPMS uses a .308 chamber and Arm. uses a 7.62???

I'd like to see your results if you can find the post.

Thanks!

PS... Did you get to check the length installed in an upper? The Armalite sticks in too far enough (in my IRA upper) there is a pretty good lip. It could be turned off with a carbide bit in a lathe pretty easy. The ramps are also deeper (more M4 like) on the Armalite....maybe because this is on a 16" pencil barrel?????

Edit... Just looked, Armalite only shows one bbl. extension, not a separate M4 style for short bbl's, so the ramps are different, deeper on the Armalite.

Ok, here is what I typed out then:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Now for the Anecdotal info that I just gathered this morning.

I installed a DPMS LR308 bolt carrier group into my AR10 upper with Noveske Barrel. It would lock up on a loaded round of 168gr Federal Gold Metal Match.

It would close on a 1.630 Headspace Gauge (Go Gauge).

It would NOT close on a 1.633 Gauge.

It WOULD lock back on an empty magazine.

I did not see any clearance issues or see any reason that this wouldn't work.

Conversly my AR10 bolt carrier dropped into the LR308 just fine. It cycled and locked back on an empty magazine.
</div></div>

I did not address differences in bolt carrier lengths since that was not the original question that I was asked.

If I was going to do this, I would use the bolt carrier group that is native to the rifle I was installing the barrel in. Otherwise the buffer may need to be lengthened or shortened to prevent damage to the lower receiver.

Thanks LoneWolf.

I'll try and get a pic of the two side by side, I'll also check it with a 7.62 gauge when it gets here.

It's been awhile but here it is:

month3002.jpg

My apologies for the pic but that is a Noveske barrel with an Armalite extension that does sit flush with the upper. I haven't had a chance to fire it yet and at the rate things are going lately ........ check back in a month.

SC

ok, bringing this back from the dead again. I am not sure what is wrong with the "new website" but the search function and the links when searching the web are not connected??????????

Her is My question. I have a dpms LR308 ORC. I just ordered a Lothar walthar barrel with armalite extesion (AR10) and a headspaced bolt (AR10). The machinist at LW said that it is ok to run the DPMS BCG with the headspaced AR10 bolt.

Does this sound correct?

ok, bringing this back from the dead again. I am not sure what is wrong with the "new website" but the search function and the links when searching the web are not connected??????????

Her is My question. I have a dpms LR308 ORC. I just ordered a Lothar walthar barrel with armalite extesion (AR10) and a headspaced bolt (AR10). The machinist at LW said that it is ok to run the DPMS BCG with the headspaced AR10 bolt.

Does this sound correct?

This is NOT what I was told when I bought a new barrel for my Armalite. I put the poor guy through the ringer and here is what he replied:

-DPMS barrel extension, DPMS BCA, Armalite receiver

-DPMS barrel extension, Armalite BCA, Armalite rcvr.

-DPMS barrel ext., Armalite BCA, Armalite rcvr

-Armalite barrel ext, DPMS BCA, DPMS rcvr

Armalite barrel, Armalite BCA, DPMS rcvr

You can not swap the bolts between the two carriers is the only combination that will not work. I’ve tested them all.

There are supposed to be dimensional differences between the two bolts. The tail of the DPMS bolt is longer. I can also tell you that you will have problems with gas blocks and tubes depending what gas system you have. An Armalite mid-length gas system is proprietary, DPMS .308 middy uses AR15 middy gas tube. Rifle length gas systems are the same IIRC. My new barrel which is a middy had the gas port and shoulder set for DPMS, therefore using the Armalite carbine gas block and tube wouldn't work. The tube is too long and hits the key well before the block hits the shoulder on the barrel. And my Armalite FF tube is slightly longer so I had to open it up to use the adjustable gas block I ended buying.

I think I would look for an Armalite carrier.