• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Armalite vs aero precision reciever sets for AR-10 build

BlackPawn

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2020
Alaska
Hey all, I'm looking to build a durable long lasting DMR. I am building it around a krieger 20" heavy fluted 1:11.25 twist barrel. I am interested in aero precision but then I started looking into armalite. Their supersass A10A series caught my eye as it was almost what I am trying to build but I am set on my barrel choice. My question is about the receiver sets. both companies make good recievers but what are the pros and cons of each compared to eachother? Looking for some experience to help me decide which direction to go.

I know that
Currently building a .308 AR. I chose the DPMS pattern, seemed to have a greater selection of compatible parts. I'd recommend carefully selecting your parts. AERO M5 receivers are DPMS pattern, but some lower parts are still proprietary, such as the pivot and takedown pins.
I know that Armalite AR-10A series is DPMS compatible and that upper receivers are interchangeable between certain platforms such as KAC and some other higher brands. I am looking at DPMS but I was more curious about the quality between the two companies as I have heard people say if you could choose between the two to choose armalite. however I have been told that either will work just fine with no difference in performance or durability so I wanted to get some opinions before I chose my base platform. Thank you for your input!

Reactions: Puncho
I built up an Aero M5 a couple months ago. Couldn’t be happier with it, but I used all Aero parts to finish it. Threw a cheapo scope on it for now, but it’s been flawless once I dialed in the gas block. Aero has a good bit of M5 stuff in stock. AR15, not so much.

image.jpg

I built up an Aero M5 a couple months ago. Couldn’t be happier with it, but I used all Aero parts to finish it. Threw a cheapo scope on it for now, but it’s been flawless once I dialed in the gas block. Aero has a good bit of M5 stuff in stock. AR15, not so much.

View attachment 7479568
Sweet that's the M5E1 upper how do you like it compared to the M5? I was thinking going that route as well.

Reactions: darkfader
Yea it’s the enhanced upper. It made barrel installation a complete breeze. Just torque the nut and the gas tube slides through slots built into the upper. Then the handguard bolts right up to the upper. No need to line anything up at all. I haven’t sent too many rounds through it but once I got the gas adjusted for locking back on an empty mag, it’s been flawless. I’ve got a few other Aeros. 300blk and a 5.56. I’ve been pleased with their stuff.

Reactions: BlackPawn
I personally like the non enhanced upper so I can install the super thin Atlas S-One handguard. But I do have one of each and they both work just as good as the other.

Yea I did the non enhanced with the atlas on my 5.56 pistol. It’s noticeably thinner. Totally different feel for sure.

I know that Armalite AR-10A series is DPMS compatible and that upper receivers are interchangeable between certain platforms such as KAC and some other higher brands. I am looking at DPMS but I was more curious about the quality between the two companies as I have heard people say if you could choose between the two to choose armalite. however I have been told that either will work just fine with no difference in performance or durability so I wanted to get some opinions before I chose my base platform. Thank you for your input!

Take it from someone who has a Super SASS... the quality of Aero is 2nd to none, and some of their extras (screw in - bolt catch pin & forward assist)... I'll take the Aero over the Armalite.

another vote for AP, built several with their receivers and parts and everything worked like a champ

I just received a Centurion MK11 receiver set, and trying to decide a caliber

Nice Troy battle rail for $100
Not sure if it would work with M5E.

just posted in another thread thinking I was here but just bought an aero set and everything I need sans the barrel but thinking 14.5" 308 since I have a ton of ammo for it.

...something to be mindful of regarding "DPMS" compatibility...the 'compatibilty' claims can still have variations... these pics are from when I did my AR10 build a few years back. Since that time I always recommend folks doing builds on AP receivers to just use AP LPK's ...the bolt catch shown on right was a spare I picked up from Brownell's, which was listed as a DPMS "compatible" part..

Attachments

• Compare-C.png
    Compare-C.png
    703.6 KB · Views: 148
  • Compare-B.png
    Compare-B.png
    560.1 KB · Views: 126
  • Compare-D.png
    Compare-D.png
    513.3 KB · Views: 130
Reactions: RUTGERS95
...something to be mindful of regarding "DPMS" compatibility...the 'compatibilty' claims can still have variations... these pics are from when I did my AR10 build a few years back. Since that time I always recommend folks doing builds on AP receivers to just use AP LPK's ...the bolt catch shown on right was a spare I picked up from Brownell's, which was listed as a DPMS "compatible" part..
agree 100% and ran into this very issue with a build using the same Brownells bolt catch

No issues with my 6.5CM Aero build. Good fit between upper/lower, and no finish issues anywhere. Downside of the enhanced upper is you'll be limited to Aero Enhanced rails only. I went with a regular M5 upper and barrel nut for the enhanced handguard

No issues with my 6.5CM Aero build. Good fit between upper/lower, and no finish issues anywhere. Downside of the enhanced upper is you'll be limited to Aero Enhanced rails only. I went with a regular M5 upper and barrel nut for the enhanced handguard
you can use the enhanced handguard on the standard e5 upper?

you can use the enhanced handguard on the standard e5 upper?
Yep, Aero makes a barrel nut that the enhanced handguard attaches to. Works nice because the enhanced handguards have screws connecting them to the barrel nut instead of just clamping on

Standard M5 upper with Enhanced handguard. And yes, I know my handguard is too short. Was a carbine build originally. Longer one is on the way.
PXL_20201204_025720158.jpg