• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Night Vision Armasight Apollo

Delta4-3

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
May 21, 2013
Arkansas
I've gotten quite a few inquiries about the Apollo that is on sale this month. Being that there was so much information in the sale thread, It got to cluttered to give a good overview of the Apollo.
What is the main reason to go with the Apollo over some of the similar priced thermals out there? Versatility is the glaring answer. It is a clip on that is roughly in the same price range as a lot of the dedicated scopes out there. In addition to being a clip on, it does have a reticle that is adjustable for windage and elevation, so you can use it as a stand alone scope as well, or a hand held observation device. You can also get an optional 3x magnifier with good glass for very reasonable that screws directly into the rear of the Apollo, adding to it's effectiveness as a standalone unit, whether it be weapon's mounted or hand held. The magnifier will also work with Aimpoints, EoTech's, the Armasight MCS (NV compatible micro RDS), and some of the other RDS' out there.

No where else will you get a 640x512 Thermal clip-on of this quality for $7,995 with a free DVR, or a 320 unit with a free DVR for $5,250.

Some of the features that make it stand out are as follows:

+ FLIR Tau 2 core

+ 6 reticles

+ 12 color pallates

+ High end OLED display, as opposed to the cheaper LCD or micro-OLED displays.

+ Solid quick release mount that requires no tools to adjust

+ 4 hours of runtime on two CR123 batteries, which can easily be changed in the field. If you need more runtime, the user can opt to draw power from the included recorder, or use an external battery pack

+ 42mm Germanium Lens

+ Intuitive controls

+ Only 1lbs 11oz. and 8.5" in length

+ Objective lens F stop 1:1

+ 11 degree FOV

+ Focuses from 5' to infinity

+ Waterproof to 33' for up to 30 minutes

+ Rapid startup

+ Comes with SKB hardcase

+ Comes with light shades to compliment various day optics

+Comes with a cable for monitor display

+ Includes a wireless/remote pressure switch that can be mounted anywhere on your weapon

+ Indexable rail that allows mounting of a micro red dot sight for backup and/or rapid target acquisition in close quarters. One of the bonuses of mounting a red dot at the 10-12 o'clock on a thermal unit such as this, is that you can actually acquire a sight picture with helmet mounted NODs. If you don't want said rail there, it is easy to remove.

+ Now, the term "Mil-Spec" grates on me, as the definition of said term can vary wildly, not to mention the degree to which it is over used. However, the Apollo does meet Mil-STD810 requirements, which is not the same thing, but it will give you an idea of the quality, and the abuse it can handle.

+ Warranted for use on calibers up to and including .338 Lapua. .50 BMG rating will be announced at the conclusion of testing.

+Guaranteed less than 1 MOA point of impact shift

And the list goes on....

When Using the Apollo as a clip-on as it was designed, my favorite setup is using it in conjunction with the USO 1.5-6x. In my opinion, they are a perfect team. They are both rugged and have outstanding optics, making a great picture.

vU0bbIq.jpg

I mentioned it can be used as a stand alone weapon sight. You can do this without any magnification and it will work, but it is simply amazing if you use the Armasight 3x magnifier screwed into the back, or even use an EoTech magnifier mounted behind it. It still makes for a pretty compact, lightweight setup with maximum versatility.

ahS5rZa.jpg

Now, it is not ideal by any means, but you can get by using the unit with a red dot sight as well. The display will look tiny, but it will work in a pinch. It works phenomenally though if you throw a G33 behind that EoTech!

VwrmweK.jpg

I would challenge anyone, to put this unit up against any other manufacturer's unit with the same core and see the difference for yourself, then compare the cost and features. You will be pleasantly surprised.

If you have any questions at all, please feel free to ask. I will try to get some "Through the Core" pictures up tonight.

I forgot to add:
All Armasight thermals come with a 3 year warranty on the unit, 10 year warranty on the core.
Thanks

Just got it so I'm still learning to get the most out of it. I'm really impressed with image so far. The Apollo 640x512 is working great in front of my ACOG on my Tavor. The Armasight recorder works well and can also be used as a backup power supply. Next to figure out how to post a video. I'll be trying it out on my LMT MWS308 next.

Attachments

• 10344005_10202836174838208_873770812_o.jpg
    10344005_10202836174838208_873770812_o.jpg
    881.7 KB · Views: 26
Now that Sir, is a wicked setup! I have often wondered how that type of setup would look and feel on a Tavor, appreciate the pic!

I would believe, although I have not looked through one of these, that even the 320 core Apollo with a 42mm lens would be a very powerful thermal clip on. The 640 core has got to be pretty awesome with a relatively large FOV.

How does it match up to your ACOG? I have two FLIR T-70's matched up to ACOG TAO2LED 4X and that is a perfect setup for me, I also use them in front of Elcan Specter DR as well, it's all good. Your setup ought to be able to handle 6X day optic pretty good without getting pizelated out much if at all.

But that is a very nice compact setup you have got there for sure!!!

I really don't need any more ideas.....lol

Just got it so I'm still learning to get the most out of it. I'm really impressed with image so far. The Apollo 640x512 is working great in front of my ACOG on my Tavor. The Armasight recorder works well and can also be used as a backup power supply. Next to figure out how to post a video. I'll be trying it out on my LMT MWS308 next.

It matches up perfectly with the ACOG. I ended putting my TA31 on the TAVOR because of the short eye relief, it's working better for me on the Tavor than it did on a AR15. I did get a chance to put it on my LMT 308 in front of a Nightforce 2.5-10x24 scope. 3-4x seems optimal but I did go up to 6-8x and 6x still wasn't to bad. I don't think I'll run it higher than that. Just my luck, I spent 4 hrs out last night to catch something to video and couldn't find a creature moving. Finally gave up around midnight. Guess the full moon was to bright for the wildlife. However I could make out terrain features out past a mile. I originally wanted to get a T70 but when I was still short on funds and was able to go with the Armasight for less. So for not regretting the buy.

Now that Sir, is a wicked setup! I have often wondered how that type of setup would look and feel on a Tavor, appreciate the pic!

I would believe, although I have not looked through one of these, that even the 320 core Apollo with a 42mm lens would be a very powerful thermal clip on. The 640 core has got to be pretty awesome with a relatively large FOV.

How does it match up to your ACOG? I have two FLIR T-70's matched up to ACOG TAO2LED 4X and that is a perfect setup for me, I also use them in front of Elcan Specter DR as well, it's all good. Your setup ought to be able to handle 6X day optic pretty good without getting pizelated out much if at all.

But that is a very nice compact setup you have got there for sure!!!

I really don't need any more ideas.....lol

I agree...pretty awesome setup! [MENTION=70608]SkyPup[/MENTION] The Apollo will start to get pixelated at 6x. At 4x you notice you are looking at a screen, so that is where I usually leave it. It is still usable at 6x by all means, Im just the type of guy that likes the clearest setting possible while still getting a good FOV. Hear me now! I may or may not be unveiling a clip on that will go past 6x with a giant chunk of germanium on the front here before too long........
Thanks for the kind words sir.

Nice review guys, some video of some hunts sometime would be appreciated too. I love my ACOG/T70 setup on my 556s, but due to minimal eye relief on them, I use Elcans on the .308s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk?

OK, search hasn't helped me. Not a hunting video, but had a clip I wanted to upload. I've shortened it to 20sec, but zip file is still to large to upload. Couple of questions, do I need to change settings to record at lower resolution or just keep shortening clip to get below the 97.7KB to upload? Lowering resolution would seem to defeat the purpose of showing the image quality.

Medic,

You can still downsize. If u started out with good quality it views well on a large screen. As u downsize the file the screen size at which it looks good goes down in proportion.

Downsize it just enough to meet max size allowed

Another thing I forgot to mention is that you can save zero's for 3 different weapons.

Its a cool feature, but honestly the image is better than a FLIR unit side by side with the same core, for several reasons. I don't want this to come off as a slam against FLIR, as I sell FLIR products as well, as do others here. But the Apollo and Zeus having an OLED display vs. LED and excellent software, the image is outstanding. This is specifically in reference to the RS line since they are the closest in price. The GS stuff looks better to me, but is a lot more expensive. I would like to do a side by side comparison to show the difference, but don't want it to come off as purely marketing, so I will wait until there are Hide members present that are not associated with me or my company. I also don't want it to come off as one of the "My product is better than yours!" threads you see on other sites, so I would like witnesses that are trusted in the community.

Short clip testing out my Apollo 640x512 30Hz on my 300 Blackout. It had cooled of to 85 degrees when I shot this clip. Recorded with an Armasight Recorder DT. The Recorder lacks a video screen but it's handy on the Armasight products it's set up to mount on them and doesn't have a lot of excess cord to deal with. It can also be used as an additional power supply. I'll may have to plan a hog hunting trip, long time to fall and coyote hunting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYDUNUlPfxk&feature=youtu.be

Sooo...I shot a 1 MOA 5 shot group at 347 yards with an Apollo and 3x mag today with several Hide witnesses.

Sooo...I shot a 1 MOA 5 shot group at 347 yards with an Apollo and 3x mag today with several Hide witnesses.

Yeah, but that's from your high speed, low drag special training at that fancy super-duper Army sniper school. Bet you could do that with a Daisy too.

Nice shooting.

Lol! Meh, it was with a Red Ryder, SBR'ed and suppressed.

Yeah, but that's from your high speed, low drag special training at that fancy super-duper Army sniper school. Bet you could do that with a Daisy too.

Nice shooting.

I’ve have my Apollo 640x512 30Hz for a couple of weeks now and I have to say I am very pleased with this thermal clip on sight. I am an avid shooter and hunter but in no way an expert on thermal sights. After having a PVS 14 with a select Gen III tube, I found that even good night vision has limitations with shadows and overcast or moonless nights. I decided I wanted to purchase a thermal sight wanting a clip on type of thermal was what I to get the most flexibility and use for the money. Thermal definitely picks up heat signatures of animals that can be missed with night vision alone.
The quality of the image is as good or better than other thermal sights that cost thousands more. I’ve used it in front of variable power scopes up to 6x, however, 3-4x seems to be optimal with the scopes I’ve used so far. The controls are easy to use and manipulate in the dark. Menu functions easy to manipulate through. Battery life has been pretty much as advertised. It’s been nice to adjust screen brightness, with a couple of scopes or during the day I’ve needed to have it more bright than at night. When varmint hunting I will also use the optional auxiliary battery pack. The mount is solid and adjustable for different rails, which is good since I’ve had to adjust it differently on 4 rifles with supposedly mil spec rails. The Apollo has held zero of the optics within 1 MOA or better. I haven’t used the remote much as I’ve found it just as easy reach up and turn the Apollo on with the power switch. I have found the different color pallets useful with different backgrounds and temperature conditions to identify targets. White Hot will be the first choice most of the time. I also have used the Armasight Recorder DT with the Apollo. The recorder DT is easy to use and readily mounts on rail provided on the top and side of the Apollo. An added benefit to the Recorder DT is that it can also be used as a backup power supply. A wireless remote for the Recorder DT would probably be more useful than the remote for the Apollo.

I think there is definitely a little bit of a learning curve in interpreting some of the images you get with thermal. Overall I would recommend the Apollo as an excellent value and top performer for anyone interested in a thermal sight with flexibility, durability, and excellent image.

Last edited:
When will you be releasing the specs on the new clip on youre talking about?

As soon as I get my hands on it! I don't honestly know when exactly that will be, but I do know I am hosting a demo night/nv shoot in Austin and will have at least one of each of the new line there. This will go down in Oct.

As soon as I get my hands on it! I don't honestly know when exactly that will be, but I do know I am hosting a demo night/nv shoot in Austin and will have at least one of each of the new line there. This will go down in Oct.

I'ld consider making a road trip for that!

I will definitely come to that.. Right up the road from Austin. If you need help with that then let me know. I will be glad to help. I also have friends with the Rangers and DPS that would be interested in this if you do not.

Let me know

SF

Shooter

I will definitely come to that.. Right up the road from Austin. If you need help with that then let me know. I will be glad to help. I also have friends with the Rangers and DPS that would be interested in this if you do not.

Let me know

SF

Shooter

Awesome, thanks! It will be a pretty large event, and I happen to suck at logistics, so I'll need all the help I can get! I'll be staying with a really good 1/75er brother of mine a few days in advance to kill some pigs too, Hider's always welcome!