• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Armorer around Chicago?

RayGun1928

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2009
Looking for an skilled armorer around Chicago that is trusted and skilled to work on Remington 700XCR. Need M4 scope mounted, muzzle brake installed, etc.

Can anyone recommend someone? West side suburbs would be great, but I'm willing to drive.

Re: Armorer around Chicago?

You could probably give GAT guns in Dundee a call. They would probably know someone closer to you that they could recommend.

A buddy of mine had a guy on the north side of the city that did realy nice work. I'll ask him if he is still doin any smithing.
Get back to you tomorrow.

Thanks guys. I'll want to maybe get this stuff done next week.

No luck on the north side guy. I'd give GAT a call like mgoodrich said.

I think I found someone to do the scope, etc. But the guy says he stopped threading barrels years ago because the tooling got to be too expensive. Now I need someone that can do that and fit the muzzle brake. Thoughts?

Before we moved the business to Dillon Montana we were located in Steger Illinois. The work that you want done can be accomplished by McGowen in St. Anne Illinois (just north and east of Kankakee Illionois. Their number is 815-937-9816 and their address is 5961 Spruce Lane, St. Anne, IL 60964

They have full machine shop capabilities and Mark McGowen is a first class armorer. They used to manufacture barrels until they sold the barrel making part of their business which is now located in Kalispell Montana.

There good for what you want

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bolosniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Before we moved the business to Dillon Montana we were located in Steger Illinois. The work that you want done can be accomplished by McGowen in St. Anne Illinois (just north and east of Kankakee Illionois. Their number is 815-937-9816 and their address is 5961 Spruce Lane, St. Anne, IL 60964

They have full machine shop capabilities and Mark McGowen is a first class armorer. They used to manufacture barrels until they sold the barrel making part of their business which is now located in Kalispell Montana. </div></div>

Anyone heard of the Gun Doctor in Roselle? Website says they've been there for 32 years. I talked to the gunsmith yesterday, and he was pretty knowledgeable. Thoughts?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ray Gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone heard of the Gun Doctor in Roselle? Website says they've been there for 32 years. I talked to the gunsmith yesterday, and he was pretty knowledgeable. Thoughts? </div></div>

From what I've heard, the guy is a hack who has destroyed more than a few pistols. I wouldn't let him anywhere near a precision rifle.

Supposedly his old man was better, but the kid isn't so good.