• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Armorer's Punch Set Recommendations

simpy16

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2017
Boise, ID
I have a Wheeler or Brownell's Punch set. The punches are deforming and the head on the hammer comes loose all the time. Just seeing if there are better sets out there that I can look at to replace this one. Thanks!

I just replace the wheelers. And loctite the heads in place.

I priced out a more expensive set. It was quite a bit more.

I have a set of Mayhew roll pin punches that I have had for about 25 years. I have used them in overhauling transmissions, both standard and automatic, differentials, and now they are regulated to pretty much gunsmithing work. I broke the smallest one once many years ago and it was replaced free of charge. A good punch should never bend. If it has enough force put on it it should be hard enough to break long before it ever bends.

Reactions: cm1021
There are a number of different "punches"...parallel pin, roll pin, roll pin holder "starter", dome head , short parallel / roll pin punches "starters", tapered punches, etc.....Wiha, Starret, Grace, Lyman, metric v. imperial sizes, etc. can never have enough styles. Hardened steel, aluminum, brass, delrin, it's a pretty wide market. A few examples of the variety. What exactly are you trying to do with the punches ?
CIMG1426 copy.JPG
CIMG4087.JPG
CIMG4099 copy.JPG
CIMG4633 copy.JPG
DSC00098 copy.JPG
DSC00220 copy.JPG
DSC00248 copy 2.JPG
IMG_7050 copy.JPG
IMG_7922 copy.jpg
IMG_7925 copy.jpg

I have a set of snap on punches, not sure if they made them or if they are just rebranded. Anyways, I've been using them for 10+ years and haven't broke one yet.