• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Army Awards M24 300 Win Mag Upgrade Contract

sinister

Rifle Pointer
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2002
Midland, Georgia
<span style="font-weight: bold">Army Upgrades M24 sniper system to .300 WinMag; Army snipers smile, wince</span>
Military Times Gear Scout, September 20th, 2010, posted by Rob Curtis

The Army today awarded a contract valued at up to $28.2m for Remington to upgrade up to 3600 fielded M24 sniper rifles from 7.62mm NATO to .300 Winchester Magnum. PM Soldier Weapons began the competition back in January, 2010, and has made other changes beyond the upgrade to .300 Win Mag as outlined below (from Remington’s press release) to come up with the new M24E1 Sniper Weapon System:

•A completely new chassis (stock) assembly, which maximizes the amount of physical adjustments for the sniper to provide a true customized fit. The chassis has a folding buttstock that radically shortens the system for easier transport and greater concealment during movement and accommodates the mounting of accessories via removable Mil Std 1913 Picatinny Rails.

•An improved 6.5-20×50 variable power Leupold riflescope with an enhanced reticle within the first focal plane and a .300 Winchester Magnum bullet-drop compensator (BDC)

•A quick-attach/detach Advanced Armament Corp. suppressor with muzzle brake

•A 5-round detachable box magazine

•Advanced corrosion resistant coatings throughout the system

Photo courtesy Remington
M24E1-pic.jpg

Re: Army Awards M24 300 Win Mag Upgrade Contract

This has been a long time coming, eh? This has been spoken of so many times, for so long. And it actually happened.

So now that this rock is starting to roll, and shed it's moss, what shall it roll over?

Some habits (Leupold) are hard to break, pitty. I'm guessing a few reps maxed out their expense accounts to nail that one down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So is the .338 RFP still out there? </div></div>

SOCOM's Precision Sniper Rifle solicitation is still active, and Big Army will follow SOCOM.

The .300 Win Mag is the "Bridge" between 7.62 NATO and the eventual adoption of an Army .33-caliber magnum.

At 28.2 mil for the contract they are charging the government roughly 7833$ per rifle. That thing better shoot the balls off a gnat at 1000 yards for that kind of money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bucksquirelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At 28.2 mil for the contract they are charging the government roughly 7833$ per rifle. That thing better shoot the balls off a gnat at 1000 yards for that kind of money. </div></div>

Not to completely defend the lunacy...However, that contract will be for cradle to grave costs, spare parts, training, etc.

Josh

Sinister, do you know what kind of mags it takes?

Wondering if we will be able to use the 10 rnd AICS mags or not.

Also what is the reticle if not the standard mil dot?

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bucksquirelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At 28.2 mil for the contract they are charging the government roughly 7833$ per rifle. That thing better shoot the balls off a gnat at 1000 yards for that kind of money. </div></div>

If you figure it comes with optics and suppresor seems pretty reasonable compared to other options.

What's ridiculous is that our gubbmant keeps dropping more and more money into customized Remingtons vs. just going with something like the AI that's ready to rock, no customization needed.

Especially with the USMC. They'll spend more on an M40 in that Ashbury thing than they would on an AI, plus have to have 2112's accurize it. With the AI, they could just stick it in the guys hands, and all the armors would have to do is re-barrels and repairs...

The m24's arent custom at all they are factory produced at remington and supported by them.I see no difference between this and the AI but alot cheaper.The army is paying the same for these with glass and suppressor plus parts support for the price of a naked AI.

I would also guess that PWS bulds an m40 for half the cost of an AI.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I would also guess that PWS bulds an m40 for half the cost of an AI. </div></div>

Not once they stick it in a $4000 chassis.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The m24's arent custom at all they are factory produced at remington and supported by them.I see no difference between this and the AI but alot cheaper.The army is paying the same for these with glass and suppressor plus parts support for the price of a naked AI. </div></div>

This is true, but at SHOT last year the word from the Remmy rep was that this was about a $6-7000 rifle, more for the military version... His words.

If they've negotiated it down to around $7k per rifle with scope and can, yeah that's a pretty fair price.

The math for the contract comes out to Just under 8k per copy thats for the whole nut.The 7k for just the rifle is their submission for the PSR contract thats a different animal all together.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought Counter Sniper scopes had this contract? </div></div>

It's downright inconcievable that they aren't once again the troops get shafted
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So is the .338 RFP still out there? </div></div>

SOCOM's Precision Sniper Rifle solicitation is still active, and Big Army will follow SOCOM.

The .300 Win Mag is the "Bridge" between 7.62 NATO and the eventual adoption of an Army .33-caliber magnum. </div></div>

You could explain this far better than many.

Why keep working the .300WM? If the .308 will not do the job why build another level and not just go straight to the .338LM?

Maybe because .300WM is already in the system? NSWC Crane's Mk13Mod5 is a rework of the mature Mk13Mod0, and the Mk248Mod1 220gr OTM round is reportedly as effective as .338LM while being less expensive to procure.

They are not buying new rifles (although they probably should).

They are just sending what they have to Remington for rebarrel and chassis install.

The M24 is a long action, so it can run 300 win mag.

I have a feeling that if SOCOM ever gets off their ass and selects a rifle that the Army may switch direction...but would not bet on it.

The United States Army's weapons procurement system is broke-dick.

Long action M24s are in-hand, now. The actions will be stripped and rebuilt to E1 standard -- everything else (including the magnum face bolt) should be new.

.300 Win Mag is a standard military loading, thus a simple bureaucratic fix. While SOCOM is closing on a .33 Magnum standard it has not, as of yet. Leg Army has formally stated they are so far behind the power curve they will buy whatever SOCOM decides on.

The Marines have stated interest but have not committed to the SOCOM standard. Their M40A3s could be upgraded to Short Mags but probably not the Win Mag (it's possible, but a loaded cartridge might not clear the ejection port). It won't work with a .338 Lapua or Norma.

AI does not currently produce their rifle in North America -- a requirement by law for US military purchase (i.e., FN South Carolina and Beretta USA).

hmmmmm. 7-8K for a parts and labor package to rework existing actions seems awfully high.
i wonder what Gap's M24E1 will cost out at?
or have them assemble a generic build using one of scott McCree's stocks?
does this mean we will soon be scrambling for a genuine M24 return stock--cam

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i wonder what Gap's M24E1 will cost out at? </div></div>

No doubt George's crew will deliver a much more accurate weapon.

When can he deliver 3600+ rifles?

I might be wrong, but it was my understanding from the Remington site that the new M24E1 could be changed over from 300Win Mag to 308 by swapping the barrel and a few other parts, and could be done at the unit level.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's ridiculous is that our gubbmant keeps dropping more and more money into customized Remingtons vs. just going with something like the AI that's ready to rock, no customization needed.

Especially with the USMC. They'll spend more on an M40 in that Ashbury thing than they would on an AI, plus have to have 2112's accurize it. With the AI, they could just stick it in the guys hands, and all the armors would have to do is re-barrels and repairs... </div></div>

AAAAAAMEN To that brother! It blows my F&%$#ng mind that they will spend that kind of $$$ on a Remington 700 based rifle. I have owned more 700's than I will ever remember and I like them very much, but why the hell don't they just buy AI's or TRG's or even the Remington MSR"s for that matter. Why retrofit the living shit out of a $300 hunting rifle action time and time again when you have better choices out there. I will Never understand it. sigh.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mauritz45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hmmmmm. 7-8K for a parts and labor package to rework existing actions seems awfully high.
i wonder what Gap's M24E1 will cost out at?
or have them assemble a generic build using one of scott McCree's stocks?
does this mean we will soon be scrambling for a genuine M24 return stock--cam </div></div>$8k is too much for the rifle, scope, suppressor, parts and training? gtfo.

The action (minus new bolt) and trigger are already supplied. So let's say the scope and can are around $2500-$3000 for both. Now we are talking another $5000 for a stock, bbl and bolt? Even throw in a scope mount and rings.As far as extra parts... I'm hoping that there shouldn't be too many extra parts supplied because an $8000 sniper rifle really shouldn't be needing many "extra parts"...Training? How much friggin training is Remington going to give to snipers or other military personnel on a Remington 700 that they have been using for decades?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chrisj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The action (minus new bolt) and trigger are already supplied. So let's say the scope and can are around $2500-$3000 for both. Now we are talking another $5000 for a stock, bbl and bolt? Even throw in a scope mount and rings.As far as extra parts... I'm hoping that there shouldn't be too many extra parts supplied because an $8000 sniper rifle really shouldn't be needing many "extra parts"...Training? How much friggin training is Remington going to give to snipers or other military personnel on a Remington 700 that they have been using for decades? </div></div>

Your really not getting the whole picture.First I think the new Leupold is alot closer to $2500 by itself. Then 1k for the can a new bolt and the work to convert them(essentially bulid new rifles $7-$900ea).Now add to that Remington will be doing the upkeep.
This is a realy good thing for the troops as its very easy to put into motion compared to adopting a new weapons system.And as Sinister noted the AIs and TRGs are not produced in the US so not realy an option at this point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chrisj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The action (minus new bolt) and trigger are already supplied. So let's say the scope and can are around $2500-$3000 for both. Now we are talking another $5000 for a stock, bbl and bolt? Even throw in a scope mount and rings.As far as extra parts... I'm hoping that there shouldn't be too many extra parts supplied because an $8000 sniper rifle really shouldn't be needing many "extra parts"...Training? How much friggin training is Remington going to give to snipers or other military personnel on a Remington 700 that they have been using for decades? </div></div>

Your really not getting the whole picture.First I think the new Leupold is alot closer to $2500 by itself. Then 1k for the can a new bolt and the work to convert them(essentially bulid new rifles $7-$900ea).Now add to that Remington will be doing the upkeep.
This is a realy good thing for the troops as its very easy to put into motion compared to adopting a new weapons system.And as Sinister noted the AIs and TRGs are not produced in the US so not realy an option at this point. </div></div>

There's a can included? I must have missed that. I saw it in the pic but no specs.

Anyone know the partics on the scope?

I believe in the 300wm. I think this is the right decision.

--Fargo007

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fargo007</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chrisj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The action (minus new bolt) and trigger are already supplied. So let's say the scope and can are around $2500-$3000 for both. Now we are talking another $5000 for a stock, bbl and bolt? Even throw in a scope mount and rings.As far as extra parts... I'm hoping that there shouldn't be too many extra parts supplied because an $8000 sniper rifle really shouldn't be needing many "extra parts"...Training? How much friggin training is Remington going to give to snipers or other military personnel on a Remington 700 that they have been using for decades? </div></div>

This is a realy good thing for the troops as its very easy to put into motion compared to adopting a new weapons system.And as Sinister noted the AIs and TRGs are not produced in the US so not realy an option at this point. </div></div>

There's a can included? I must have missed that. I saw it in the pic but no specs.

--Fargo007 </div></div>

Read the post it clearly states AAC can and brake/attachment

All Im saying is there's gonna be a lot of the "Old" Leupold scopes around, and I don't have one, so........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fargo007</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chrisj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The action (minus new bolt) and trigger are already supplied. So let's say the scope and can are around $2500-$3000 for both. Now we are talking another $5000 for a stock, bbl and bolt? Even throw in a scope mount and rings.As far as extra parts... I'm hoping that there shouldn't be too many extra parts supplied because an $8000 sniper rifle really shouldn't be needing many "extra parts"...Training? How much friggin training is Remington going to give to snipers or other military personnel on a Remington 700 that they have been using for decades? </div></div>

--Fargo007 </div></div>

Read the post it clearly states AAC can and brake/attachment </div></div>

Yup - it sure does!

A quick-attach wouldn't have been my first choice for a precision rifle, but it's their money. No...... actually it's ours.

Chassis looks like a tac-mod?

--Fargo007

too bad they went for the leupold... and the AAC can. Oh well.

The Spec ops guys did it right with the mk13 mod5, knightforce glass and a knights can. Although maybe not the right can, at least knights have never really had issues with suppressor mounts.

Also the chassis kinda looks good.

But the whole program seems like a response to the taliban TTPS of long range small arms engagments from elevation; which again signifies a reactive force pro army... aka not cool.

It will be 20 years before the Army changes caliber again - so 338 will not happen, probably not in my lifetime.

The Army realizes the investment.

They've been using 300 winmag on AMu for a while now.

And this is a step ABOVE the 7.62 and will fill the gap where a 50 BMG would take over from.

It's great to see they have all the good tools, mag fed...adjustable stock, new optics.

As for you guys that ask about the AI.

I understand that the US Military is not allowed to purchase weapon systems from other countries, allies or not.

I hope I don't sound stupid but isn't the AI a UK rifle??

(Ducking)

Hmm... idk about that.. the M9 is from italy. The mk13 mod5 has an AICS chassis, the current m40 has S and B glass. Its all which company is giving the govt. the most money under the table.

Yes I said it... Its the daily bread and butter of winning contracts these days... nothing new.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It will be 20 years before the Army changes caliber again - so 338 will not happen, probably not in my lifetime.

The Army realizes the investment.

They've been using 300 winmag on AMu for a while now.

And this is a step ABOVE the 7.62 and will fill the gap where a 50 BMG would take over from.

It's great to see they have all the good tools, mag fed...adjustable stock, new optics.

As for you guys that ask about the AI.

I understand that the US Military is not allowed to purchase weapon systems from other countries, allies or not.

(Ducking) </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

(Ducking) </div></div>

There's ways around it...

LINK
LINK

The way around it is to open a sub siderary in the US - and BUILD them in the US>

S&B I'm not certain on but it's not a primary weapon either, just an accessory.

Beretta USA built the M9.
BAE Systems builds things (British Aerospace)...

Yeah there are ways around it, and God help the company that violates ITAR LOL - it's a HUGE HUGE fine...

The way around it is simple. AINA imports the parts, and "assembles" them in country. Then supplies our military with a proven platform instead of new funky chassis on old ass actions.

.....sometimes i quote myself.....

....them army dudes had better eat their wheaties......

this is one heavy boolit launcher!

Does not sound like an unreasonable price- think of it this way... weapons and optics Cases, cleaning equipment, optic, suppressor, new chassis, new barrel, new bolt, spare parts (spares kit for the M24 is about $200 value), and potentially this package could include a night optic as well. And don't forget that Remington services the Army's rifles so that will be in the contract as well. I doubt that price is out of line. Could have however made some better choices. Problem is the guys who contract this stuff out often are not the ones knowledgeable about the systems, so you don't end up with the best. Or price limits options.

Have to say the new stock looks a bit of an abortion.

If this is an interim solution, I wonder why they didn't retain the existing stocks and simply rebarrel and refurb the receivers?? They could have even bought optics, and maybe even moderators, that would be suitable for use on the upcoming .338...

That new M24 is fuggly for sure, makes me naucious! I hate stocks that try to make a bolt rifle look like an AR, especially the tube hanguards-puking ugly!

The AICS stock is better looking and probably lighter! I don't even like the arctic warefare style AI stocks that much, the ancient AI PM(L96) series stocks were far better looking. I'm one of the few and ever shrinking fans of HS precision stocks(and yes I concede McMillan stocks are better) but SF had been using straight 300win coversions of HS stocked M24s for a while now and doing fine-why switch to HALO gamer style modular POS looking thing with AR style forend! The Army should just ask someone to make a large qty of Mk13mod0s and issue that for half the cost!