• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ARMY Guys: If you knew then what you know now

doc76251

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2003
Virginia Beach, VA
Hey Gent's

My nephew just joined the Army on the "future soldier program" he goes to boot in July and returns to finish high school. He signed on for combat engineer, changeable I think. If you've been in the Army and had the chance to pick another career which would you choose based on your experience "inside"?

Good advice for a young soldier to be?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Doc

Re: ARMY Guys: If you knew then what you know now

Join the Air Force and get into their SOF program.

Can't switch, choose an MOS that gives you a skill set. Combat Engineer = Route Clearance and getting blown up. Nothing there after you get out, just a lot of TBI.

Without a doubt, starting out as an 11B was the best thing for me. It gave me skills in soldiering, leading, and planning that I don't think I could have gotten anywhere else.

However, once you punch the infantry ticket then I'd advise him to go one of three ways:

1. SOF - Rangers (if he loves kinetics but doesn't mind hooah bullshit), PSYOP (if he's a good talker and outgoing), Civil Affairs (if he likes contracting and engineering), and SF (if he wants to work extensively with foreign nations' people/military, and/or working intel).

2. Physician's assistant - the Army has one of the best PA programs if you can get into it, and health care will continue to be one of the strongest sectors in the economy when he gets out.

3. Helo pilot, warrant officer - I'm just a dude who loves helos. Blackhawks and chinooks are fun, but I'm sure a Kiowa or Apache is even better. If his eyesight and health are excellent, and he's sharp, then this could be a fun career.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Without a doubt, starting out as an 11B was the best thing for me. It gave me skills in soldiering, leading, and planning that I don't think I could have gotten anywhere else.

However, once you punch the infantry ticket then I'd advise him to go one of three ways:

1. SOF - Rangers (if he loves kinetics but doesn't mind hooah bullshit), PSYOP (if he's a good talker and outgoing), Civil Affairs (if he likes contracting and engineering), and SF (if he wants to work extensively with foreign nations' people/military, and/or working intel).

2. Physician's assistant - the Army has one of the best PA programs if you can get into it, and health care will continue to be one of the strongest sectors in the economy when he gets out.

3. Helo pilot, warrant officer - I'm just a dude who loves helos. Blackhawks and chinooks are fun, but I'm sure a Kiowa or Apache is even better. If his eyesight and health are excellent, and he's sharp, then this could be a fun career.

</div></div>

+100

Yeah, ZLBubba pretty much nailed it. And the smartest thing he can do at this point is try to get Airborne in his contract. Since I was 17 and didn't know any better, it was those wings that later opened the door to SOF for me.

With a slightly opposing point of view - I'd talk to your nephew about where he sees himself at the end of his enlistment. Hack out a plan for 5, 10, 15 years down the line. Review every year and adjust fire.

Army careers are developed and can change over time based on your goals and abilities to meet those challenges.

Don't discount the National Guard and Army Reserve or any of the other services when talking out goals. The Reserves are a good place to maintain a link to your community and still serve. Other services provide specialized training to meet their specific challenges.

I started my career in combat engineers as a sapper. Over the years, I've been in armor, served with armored cavalry, helos, and even managed to hump a few miles with a pig and a ruck. Ended up doing logistics and planning when sundry busted body parts limited my abilities to run with the kids.

Not everybody's cut out to serve but for those who want to, there's always a place where you can make a difference, whether it's with your adrenalin pumping or sitting behind a computer, making stuff happen so the next joe out the door doesn't have to worry whether the beans and bullets will be waiting for him. The service is a team effort, not just the guys on the line. They have their job - if your nephew can meet the challenge - good for him. For you, always encourage, never limit. For him - remember it's service and team work.

Gunfighter

Thanks guys.

I told his Mom my tried and true line "The Navy (Army) is a part time job, it only takes up part of your life." Had I known then what I know now I might have chosen a different path with more opportunities on the outside but that's my story not his. I told her to pass that on to him and he actually was looking for opportunities with an eye towards "later" he didn't score really high on the ASVAB so I guess his options were limited. Engineer may have been the key word for him if he followed that thought. I guess I'm doing that Navy Chief thing and trying to pass on some good intel that I wished I had way back when, or maybe I did but didn't bother to listen
crazy.gif

I dunt know jack squat about the Army, I don't even know how they get promoted. I know he's been doing the JROTC thing (very well by all accounts) and he will report home as an E-3 on grad from Boot.

I guess the real question is if he is locked into Combat Engineers, what opportunities might be open to him if he keeps his nose clean and shows up at the appointed place at the appointed time in the proper uniform?

GF25, copy all. I'm just wondering if he has roped himself into mine (IED) bait? What are the options? How to get there from here if it was a poor choice?

Cheers,

Doc

I'm interested in suggestions for MOS as well.

I may be in the Army soon but I often find I wish I'd gone a different path in job and career decisions.

Biggest problem for me is nearly everything interests me... and ASVAB is no problem for me to score well on.

I have no qualms with serving as straight up infantry or persuing SOF; however, if I don't stay in as a career, I don't want to exit less employable than I am now.

I spent 25 years in total, three years RA, Infantry & MP, then finished out in the AR NG.

Made it to E-7, couldn't pass the SQT test for E-8 so I had to go to OCS. But it gave me the opertunity to work into a job of running the State Marksmanship Unit building a great program.

My only regret is getting out when I did.

Remember this, its a lot easier to get out then to get back in once you retire.

In choosing an MOS I tell kids to set back, think about what they most enjoy doing, and pick a MOS that fits the closest and the service that has that MOS.

Don't discount Airborne, most fun you can have with your pants on.

I've always believed that the combat arms specialties are empowered by support forces; as in, try fighting a war without them.

My own experience in Vietnam was as an Engineer Electrician; maybe not the sexiest MOS, but close enough to the sharp end that none of us felt any need to embellish our resumes.

The field of combat engineering is about making and taking away. Route clearance and getting blown up are part of it, no argument. But if you want power for your communications, shelter from the elements, water to drink, roads to drive, and bridges to cross, that's the engineers, too, right on down to the airstrips and raid bunkers. In the Marines, at least, the Engineers also provide(ed?) all their own combat arms support.

I don't think you or your nephew need recriminate about his occupational choice.

When I was in Marine Boot, I asked to apply for the Sea School and MARCAD (Marine Air Cadet) programs. My DI took me aside and told me not to rock my own boat; he'd already seen my assignment, and it was far better than what I'd been asking about.

Three months later, I was in Engineer Electricians' school. As a Draftee Marine, I spent 24 months in active service, 13 of them in combat, the last 13 months as an E-4 NCO. Hard to do better, IMHO.

Greg

My recruiter would have made a fortune selling used cars, and I was 17 when I picked my MOS. Make sure its what he wants and not what they want. Doing this research is the best thing in the world for him IMHO

Being a signal soldier was not that glamorous, but that all changed once I went airborne. Many more doors opened and I'm not talking about the ones on the side of a C130.

anything that gives him a trained skillset that he can use afterward. there's not too many employers looking for gun bunnies or bullet sponges on the outside, fact is 70-80% dont decide to stay in after their initial contract. If i had it to do over Id go into anything aviation, flying or mechanic, health field(x ray tech or such), computer jobs, air traffic control, basically anything that he can get free certification thru the army and get out making big money. Intel field maybe, outside agencies fight over a guy that already has a TS clearance.

blowin shit up is sexy but 4 years or 20 there will ALWAYS have t be a job afterward, i never thought of that 15 years ago

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would of gone to OCS or done ROTC in college. </div></div>

Why not West Point?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tunanut</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would of gone to OCS or done ROTC in college. </div></div>

Why not West Point? </div></div>

Because I was not a boy scout in high school! I felt that chasing pussy, getting into fights, and annoying teachers was more fun then doing AP classes, community service, and everything under the sun to get into the Hudson River Country Club. Don't get me wrong, it's a great carieer path, one I was not ready to make in the 9th grade. The 3 people I know who went were/are the most squared away people I ever met, they were in high school and are today....it's not me.

If you have any aptitude for electrical work(need math), try to get into an Army electrical MOS. Many civvie jobs need this skill. Using wirecutters for EOD probably won't do it.

+1 for the 3 to 5 year goal. This is a good test period to see if there is a fit for both the soldier and the Army.

Marketable skill set is important but only if he isnt or doesnt use the GI Bill.

At the 5 year mark he should be thinking in or out. If out then there is school (paid for), the guard or reserves. Going back to college and getting a degree along with a commission is always a good choice if the service held his interest.

If he stays in at the 10 or 12 year point he should realize he is committed to 20 and after 12 he is really staying as long as he can - 25 or 30. It is really nice to be 45 and getting a guaranteed check each month that is adjusted to inflation.

Now specifics, go to as many schools as you can. Let the Army teach you lots of things. Flight school is definately an option as a WO or O. If you go that route and are really good at what you are doing apply for SO aviation. There are no boring days or nights in that arena.

Best of luck to him and tell him in advance, thanks for his service.

The above posters have a lot of really good advise.

However, when it comes to getting a civilian job after leaving the Army, I couldn't care less. I'm not going to get a job in the Army (which I may end up hating more than life itself) merely based on how employ-able I may be after I leave the service. This is my PERSONAL OPINION, so take it for what it is. If I had to do it all over again, I would have done it all much differently, but that is neither here nor there.

I'm in the Reserves right now but I'm going Active in November (picked up for the 18X program).

There are many different career field in the Army that might interest your nephew. It all really depends on how motivated your nephew is in his life. If he's a "hard charger" or a "go-getter" or he enjoys working out and running a lot he should probably look into the infantry, MP, Airborne, armor, cav., Rangers, Special Forces, etc. These MOSs are all great ways for him to have some fun and learn about how life really is.

If he's laid back and doesn't think that a high-speed, low-drag, greased-lighting type of lifestyle is the way to go, he can sign up for an MOS like fueler, aviation, chemical, etc.

Unfortunately, your nephew will never know if he's going to like an MOS if he hasn't trained in it and hasn't used it. That's the only sucky part about the whole deal. The good thing is that he can, when available, cross train into a different MOS at a later date if he chose something that he doens't like. This happened a lot in my unit.

Good luck to your nephew!

As a side note - [STEPPING ON MY SOAP BOX] - I would HIGHLY suggest that your nephew NEVER join the Reserves; the Reserves, for the most part, will kill his dreams and/or his motivation. [STEPPING OFF MY SOAP BOX]

My advice is NOT to do the Future Soldier (or whatever they are calling it now). Going to Boot Camp while still in High School is just a bad idea all the way around. I did it, I know.
First, once you graduate boot camp, you are really ready to pursue your goals in the military. They didn't prepare you for your senior year of high school. I really lost interest in school when I returned. My grades were fine, but I knew I was missing out on something.
What does the contract say about that year??? If we invade Iran, will he sit the bench or get pulled to go.
Once that year is up, then you are totally out of the mindset of military and show up for your military school with a high school mind set.

I had a great 24 yr career. I liked my officer years much better. Mostly, the pay and the decision making: and not cleaning shitters.

Unless you do stay for a carreer, you must think about employment afterward. Just because you think you will make it a carreer now, doesn't mean you will feel that way in 24-48 months after you have been shit on by everyone, missed every holiday, and had your girlfriend leave you for your high school buddy.

I agree with the obtaining a skill set for later in life. I joined the guard as a medic, used that basic medical background went on to paramedic school. Since that time I have pushed on to become an E-7 medical instructor. Knowing if anything changes I will always have the ability to get a decent civilian job. If I had it to do over again I would have obtained an infantry MOS as well to further round myself as a Soldier.

I'd suggest not doing the Army like I did, at all. The USAF or US Navy offers better training, better chow, better sleeping quarters, and a trade, one can use back in civi life.
I had the "Talk" with my son 17 years ago, he has but 3 years before retiring from the USAF. Boeing is in the mix with offers, but they are not at the top of the heap. They beat any local PD, SO or agency all to hell an back.

IMHO, need to do some homework!

I just heard from a number of individuals in the Army with a "run of the mill" MOS that they were not being allowed to reinlist!

You have to remember the Military in general is starting to go through a major draw down with Iraq out of the picture and A-Stan heading that way.

I would check and see what MOS the Army is allowing to reinlist if any?

With the unemployment rate running 8%, more and more Military coming off active duty, and a chance he will not be able reinlist, I would say he had better research his decision carefully.

It is going to suck to pull 3-4 years, not be allowed to reup, then be out on the street with no transferable civilian skills, and no way to get a job!

Per above, I can't see Combat Eng being a great choice for civilian carry over.

Best of Luck,
M Richardson

LOL. Im a current active duty Marine and I can tell you it is a decision I would not trade for the world but I will not reenlist. lol. I love the Marine Corps and am very proud to be a Marine. I have gotten and will get a lot more from the Corps than it will get from me. Not really by my choice they put me into an MOS that is extreamly electronically technical and entails a year of MOS training before you ever hit the fleet and then the real training starts. But the Corps doesnt really use us and is phasing out the one piece of gear that is exclusively ours. The people that I know that have gotten out have all fallen straight into 6 figure jobs right outta the Corps with no degree so very few stay in, myself to be included.

As to your nephew, Id say please join. It is a decision that he will not regret whether he does 4 or 30 he will always look back on that time and say hell yea I did it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: victory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Can't switch, choose an MOS that gives you a skill set. Combat Engineer = Route Clearance and getting blown up. Nothing there after you get out, just a lot of TBI.

</div></div>

Speaking as a combat engineer, this.

Physicians Assistant's can make more than Doctor's (GP/Family Practice/Pediatricians) these days. Especially if they are willing to work the crap shifts (ER). Plus they usually don't have to be on call.

This is one of the most lucrative paths the Army has to offer. Not sexy but you sure can make some money once you get out.

I would look to the future well past the time spent in the ARMY.

I agree with many of the posters.

I punched my Infantry ticket, re-enlisted for an Occupational Therapy (OT) MOS (that was a nationally ACREDITED program), and when I got out of the ARMY I had a job that paid good money. That job combined with the ARMY college bonus, paid for three more degrees (BS, MS, Ph.D). That said, it sounds like I had my head on straight, but I only “re-upped” for OT because I was sick of shitting in the sand, eating cold food, drinking hot water, and being bored out of my mind for 22 hrs/day. I had NO IDEA what OT even was, but it had to be a job with a better way of living. If he goes in MAKE SURE that whatever program he goes in for is <span style="font-weight: bold">Nationally ACREDITED</span>. Some of the ARMY programs are not (i.e. physical therapy assistant school, and at one time the PA program was not), and those jobs can not translate into a job on the “outside” without further schooling/licensures.

The largest hurdle he will have, is the same problem that has yet to change thought time……he is too young to know what the hell he wants in 1, 5, 10, 20, let alone 30years from now.

I spent 4 years in the land of hooah as 11b.

I put my little brother in the Air Force(10 years apart).

They have smart jobs, they have chuck norris jobs. You can be as fluffy bunny candy ass or glass eating fire breather as you want.

The biggest difference is when the day or day(s) work is over you are treated like a human being and have a better standard of living.

My little brothers E1 jerk off apartment in Japan was nicer then ANY lower enlisted family housing/barracks I ever seen. When I went to his tech school graduation in Phoenix (he was a crew chief) and saw his chow hall, I almost fell over dead. He ate better in tech school then I did during any of my 4 years in the service. And he told me the chow hall in Phoenix was a dump compared to what he had in Texas or later in Japan. Flibby fooking duck farts.

We use to get combat controllers attached to us from the Air Force. Squared away soldiers(airmen, sorry) they were, and the best part of their month was they got hazardous/sub standard living pay because they were stationed at an Army installation. They did all the same things we did except dealt with NONE of the BS. One time I swear we were rucking in 12 miles to a training site and he drove his personal car in. Anyways..

With all of that said, if I was 18 again I would take one of two paths.

1st - Go to college. Work 20 jobs, eat ramen do whatever it takes and get the degree then join whatever branch. Being an officer you will never cut grass with scissors, police cigarette butts or do other random menial tasks that average joe does. And in the event you do draw the crap duty, your pay and housing more then makes up for it. My base pay was $400 a month I believe as an e1 way back when and my 2lt's was $1700. Over 4x what I made because of the 4 years drinking beer, partying, seeing friends, going to games and chasing women with some homework mixed in versus my being gung ho right out of high school.

2nd - Would have joined the Air Force and tried to earn the MOS of SERE instructor, combat controller or possibly even PJ. Most likely not PJ though as I had opportunities (as most llb's do) to try for SF and I never did. That way I could have been as cool or tough or hooah or whatever was going through my pea 18 year old brain as I wanted to be and still been a human being during off hours.

This is my hindsight, however I had one fun ass time in the Army and dont regret a bit of it.

Knowing what I know now vs when I joined the Army...
I shoulda listened to the Marine in the ladderwell and went back into the Marine Corps. If he hasn't shipped, then he can say FU I want my MOS changed PROVIDING his GT is 110+ if he pushes the issue. He should have went into the IT field. They not only get a kick ass education courtesy of the tax payer, but the skill set opens up to very well paying jobs in the future should he hit the required college classes while in. Sure it's a POG job, but really, grunts get shot at, blown up, and messed with until they reach a good enough rank to be the guy doing the messing with. A good skilled job will take him further when he gets out.
Other side: Grunt is fuckin A FUN when you aren't training or being messed with, but the overall worth isn't there unless skills/experience for contracting are worked on during service.
I really shoulda listened to that Marine. I would have been stationed in better places, seen shorter deployments, and probably would have had better commanders and troops overall as a whole. Having been on three sides of that yard, Marine, national Guard, and Army, all I can say is go Marine, or maybe even Navy. If they would have had riverine forces back then it would have been a no brainer for me...livin the apacolypse now dream hahahahahaha it's all better than going to college after having polytraumatic TBI's though

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If you've been in the Army and had the chance to pick another career which would you choose based on your experience "inside"? </div></div>

I wasn't Army (Navy) but if I had it to over over again I would have gone to college <span style="text-decoration: underline">first</span> as it would have made a night and day difference.

Key piece of information that many seem to be overlooking is the young man is doing the Split-Option program. Unless this has changed, it's not available to Active Duty. He has either joined the Reserves or National Guard already if he joined via Split-Option.

When he gets back from Basic he can possibly switch to active. That could mean a forced MOS change (no biggie since he won't have been MOSQ yet), or the Army saying "well, it's great that you want to be a commo guy or a grunt now, but we need 12B and if you want to go active, you'll go 12B or you won't go."

It could also mean he gets his MOS of choice, school option, bonus or maybe all 3!

But right now, he's either going Guard or Reserve already. If it's Guard, that could have an impact on switching to Active, as could Reserves. Commander has to release him first.

As such, most of this advice is great in general but topically worthless.

I think ZLBubba called it.

I was 11B. Should have went SF as soon as I got to my unit.

One thing I'd add is that while you are in, after your first contract, have them delay your re-enlistment while you go back to college. Yep, you go to formation then to school, then do whatever you want. Sometimes not even formation. Stay in shape though!

You may need this school because I think PA's are officers and you'll need OCS for this. That or "Green to Gold", which is another program.

They have a lot of new stuff now that they didn't have ten years ago. My biggest advice to you is to get what YOU want on that contract at MEPS!!! I had to go 3 times to get what I wanted. They will try and fill spots they need filled and tell you "this or nothing, then go home". But your recruiter is working for different biscuits, so he'll do what it takes to get you that contract.

Do NOT sign it unless you get what you want. Also learn how to march, pass the PT test, all that shit BEFORE you go, and you can go in with some rank already and that will speed things up a bit.

Get the modified GI Bill. The one you have to pay more for. Trust me, it is worth it.

SF can get you special jobs outside the military. Like special security stuff, contract jobs, etc. Also probably makes it pretty easy to get into FBI, etc.

Oh, note that any service will give you FIVE points on the tests you take (government jobs have a test; if everyone scores 100 but one guy was a vet and had that 5%, he got the job even if he got a 96!). There is a 10 point preference too. I have that but I think you have to get hurt? Or retire? Not sure.

Infantry only and nothing else, you could maybe be a cop? Work your way up in some business as a foreman maybe? Maybe make it to SWAT if that is your thing, still hooah when you get out? I knew a few guys that did that. Infantry is kind of a glory thing, it is hard to take off that blue cord and badge. But you better do it if you want a better job outside.

PA is the shit. Best advice on here period. PERIOD! You'll get out with basically the powers of a PHP doctor and be able to get a job anywhere. ANYWHERE!

Aviation. I knew a guy that wanted to do just that. Somehow I saw him years later and he just came back from Drill duty and was going back to Iraq. So sometimes plans don't work out. Know the military is a beauracracy, through and through.

My mother went in and was a medic. She is still a nurse 40 years later. A damn good one.

My father was a medic too. He met my mom in the army (you'll probably meet the mother of your kids in the army also). He got out and went back to school and studied elec. engineering and became one of the guys responsible for guidance systems on nuclear warheads during 80's.

After I got out, I went to UW and studied mathemtatical analysis, all expenses paid. My intentions were to get out and go back to electronic security and start my own business. but I got hurt real bad and it didn't pan out so I figured I'd teach math, not more sedentary and laid back than that? But because of the nature and degree of injury, I was never able to pick up the degree, but I did all the core classes (I need cake baking or some shit to actually get the paper, but I can't use it anyway so fuck it --I learned the math and that is all I need now). Now I got pretty messed up in the army, so I can't work now, essentially retired in my mid-30's. That sucks, it really does. That is always a danger of signing that line though.

My friend, my brother, my teamate, he lives down the road. We both got married here (not to each other damnit, but to two different women thank you!) and just stayed here when we got out. He became a foreman at an AC manufacturing facility. 11B leadership skills and discipline set him apart from the rest right away. You will become a differnt kind of worker as an 11B, that is a fact.

My uncle, he flew Apaches. Loved it. Got out, now works as a civilian with the Apaches and makes a TON of money.

Another buddy, 11B, Stryker unit though, so when he got out he applied at GDLS and worked in Iraq for $100,000 a year.

My cousin, he's still in the CG. He just got Master Chief. Probably a lifer.

Worked for a short time after I got out at an alarm firm. They tried to only hire vets if they could. Half the techs were vets. They were much easier to work with and did better work on average than the civlian only guys did. Sorry, but true. They "snapped" as it were.

Finally, the VA offers programs to send vets back to school or to start a business. There are VA guaranteed home loans. Make sure you get ALL the perks and benefits, even if you don't think you'll need them you might later and they generally last a loooong time.

Good luck kid, really, I mean it. And have a blast too, it will be a time you'll never forget, for good and worse.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If you've been in the Army and had the chance to pick another career which would you choose based on your experience "inside"? </div></div>

I wasn't Army (Navy) but if I had it to over over again I would have gone to college <span style="text-decoration: underline">first</span> as it would have made a night and day difference.</div></div>

VERY good advice here.

When I joined I didn't even know there were Army jobs. A recruiter asked me what I wanted to do, and I was a little confused and replied, "I want to be the guy with a rifle who kills the enemy." "INFANTRY-" was his one word reply.

I did 11B and don't regret it. It was an adventure, from Blackhawk inserted LRRS to firefights in Iraq, many boring days but many exciting times too, and a lot of hard work in between.

Ranger Battalion looks like it would be a good time. They do short rotations a lot to very hazardous areas, and that has to keep the excitement up.

Combat engineer wouldn't be something I'd want to do. If I wanted an "Army job" AKA some civilian transferable occupation I'd go MP. Or perhaps Airforce MP or security force whatever they call it.

The Air Force is awesome about getting their people tons of free college credits for their training. So Airforce jobs would be a more accurate recruiting slogan than the Army Jobs crap.

I'd do it all over again and twice on Sunday.

Lot of misinformation in here about PA's. As someone in health care, making over six figures, i can tell you PA's don't make nearly as much as doctors. I'm not sure where you hear that but it's way off. They make a solid living and compared to the professions that require 8 years of school it's not a bad trade since as a civilian you don't have to do as much school. The most I've ever seen a PA make was about 75k and he's a good friend of mine but he works in surgery and has SHIT hours. Works around 60 a week. A typical primary care doc makes around 150k. The pediatric neurologist I shadowed made about 250k and his PA, specialty and all, made 50k. It can be a fun job and is typically a solid livelihood but it's not fantastic. Also the job market for them these days is meh. Docs are cutting back on their staff and more people are becoming nurse practitioners which makes a PA a bit obsolete, however they are a cheaper option to NP's so maybe with the healthcare law PA's will be more in demand. Personally if you want to do PA stuff in the service I'd do it then go to med school when you get out if you can pass te mcats. Med school would be a breeze if you have real experience.