• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Army to "fix " sniper rifle issues...

Re: Army to "fix " sniper rifle issues...

I dont really classify these as fixes. Ive tested this weapon and it is a completely different system. A good addition to the Armys weapons in my opinion.

Glad to see the Army is getting into the 1960's technology! Maybe, next they can devolp a universal camo uniform. Some nice chinese made Leupold's, they will last a few rounds!!!

I agree with one of the comments on there why not just go to the .338 lapua if the actually want more distance... or just make the ol' .408 standard issue!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Josh Hall</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with one of the comments on there why not just go to the .338 lapua if the actually want more distance... or just make the ol' .408 standard issue! </div></div>

Because the 300win is already an in service round and there is still controversy whether or not the 700 is suitable for 338L.

I love the guys that wrote comments with 0 knowledge of what they are talking about.

The one about having to change actions because the .308 is a short action, and the .300 wm is a long action is my favorite.

In addition, the Army has just created a new .300 Win Mag load with a 220 grain SMK to extend the range of the cartridge. And .300 WM is a lot cheaper to shoot than a .338 LM.

Best thing they could do is adopt AI-AWM in 338. I'm sure it would be way too spendy, but what the hell, they are already spending the store on everything else. Brits are using them and supply chain issues should not pose too much difficulty.

Switch I never made it that far into the comments.

I don't see what the big fuss is, I am ecstatic that we get another tool to put in the bag. Sure it might not be the best one, but it is an improvement.

Instead of just having a .308 bolt gun to handle all situations, we now have a semi .50, a silenced semi .308, and a .300WM bolt. As far as Im concerned, life is good.

Could it be better? Of course it could, but then what would a bunch of old soldiers, current soldiers, gun enthusiast, and wish we were cool gun posers have to talk about on the internet?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CDiPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Best thing they could do is adopt AI-AWM in 338. I'm sure it would be way too spendy, but what the hell, they are already spending the store on everything else. Brits are using them and supply chain issues should not pose too much difficulty. </div></div>

Hell, if the Army still has a hard on for the 300WM, why not get AI AWM's in .300 and convert them over to .338LM later.....Isn't this what i'm always seeing in the for sales?

Phase them in now with the other 300WM's. Convert em later. With the exception of Germany, everyone else we play well with has .338LM

The .308 rifles are built on long actions. All that needs to be changed is the barrel and the bolt. Quick to do and get them to the guys that need more reach.

With the current administration-do you honestly think upgrading a SWS is their number one priority?

Damn you learn something new every day. I was under the impression that the majority of .308's were built on a short action. I know the M40's are.

How long are the barrels on these beasts? 26 inch is about the shortest you want to go for a magnum caliber right?

Barrel life? I guess that would depend on the load; at full strength what do you guys say about 3000 rounds?

I guess these things are going to be maintenance pigs then unless they produce a reduced target load for training (this will happen right?). A .308 has a barrel life of about what 10k rounds?

I can't say that I have much experience with the .300 wm but I do own a 7mm rem mag. I would hate to think what shooting 200 rounds in a session would do to my shoulder with a long range load. I know my shoulder was a bit sore shooting that much from the m40A1's in a day.

hmmm... seems to me like that extra 200 yards is going to cost a bit of pain and coin. I guess it's a good idea to switch out your weapons systems for each theater your in. It's not like they will be in an urban environment again and we know how uncommon those middle distance shots are in war.

the PSR contract is still out there; and it specifies user changeable caliber/barrel

seems like this is an interim quickie to get some weapons in a proper caliber which offers longer effective range, while using the system they already OWN

and like Lindy said , they are playing with bullets/loads - to eek out every iota of juju

smart move i say

big money being spent on this and lots of OTHER sniper gear,= cool times

The most glaring thing in the article, is that the person making the decision has never shot either weapon.
That single issue, the concept of people making decisions who don't have to live with those decisions has cost many a warrior's life.