• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Army WOFT

mlw332

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 17, 2011
Mississippi
any of guys army rotary wing pilots? if so i'd like to speak with you as i go through the "street to seat" program

Re: Army WOFT

There's a number of helo pilots on the boards. I personally think that the WOFT is one of the best programs in the army, PERIOD. I loved what I did in the Army, but if I couldn't have done that and had to choose all over again, WOFT, hands fucking down.

Everyone that I've talked to about it says that it's a very competitive program. You need to work your ass off before you go in with PT and commit yourself to keeping your nose clean. You don't want to get bounced out of a program like for any sort of conduct violation.

I have a crystal clear record... Just filled an obligation made to my parents to get a degree. Now its time to follow my dreams and be an army aviator...
PT score at the moment is mid 280 still working on that 13:00 2 mile haha

Flight school alone tends to run about 1.5 years at Rucker. There was and I believe still is a large back log of students. The warrants go through WOC school which I don't know how long that is off the top of my head. Graduate there and then get put into IERW. Most end up going through dunker and SERE prior to even stepping into the TH-67. Finish primary, instruments, and BCS and then wait for several months until you get a slot in the airframe you are going into. It is a good program but you'll end up at Rucker for about 2 yrs if you are going through WOC school first.

Geb

with the woft my understanding i will go to bct followed by woc and then flight school.

SERE is a great course! Go there with an open mind, do NOT G2 the course, pay attention and learn everything you can from the instructors!

I'm a WO aviator here at Rucker. I wish I would have known about the street to seat program 10 years ago. Great program for the individual, you just won't have much experience to draw from. There were a few street to seaters in my class but most had multiple deployments. But the only way to get experience is to jump right in. There are no bubbles anymore in training. MG Crutchfield took care of the training backlog before he left, now you go from class to class with only a couple days wait. It takes about a little over a year to complete now from start to finish. It took me 19 months from the time i signed into WOCS until UH-60 graduation. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SERE is a great course! Go there with an open mind, do NOT G2 the course, pay attention and learn everything you can from the instructors! </div></div>

+1000 on that. G2 isn't going to get you ahead. The course is always changing and every person has a different experience.

S2, G2, J2 are all references to the 2 shop at different levels up the chain. Staff, general, Joint. The 2 is intelligence.

SERE level C is one of the best schools Uncle Sam has to offer.lucky for you "The Bearded One" no longer works in the lab.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mlw332</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a crystal clear record... Just filled an obligation made to my parents to get a degree. Now its time to follow my dreams and be an army aviator...
PT score at the moment is mid 280 still working on that 13:00 2 mile haha
</div></div>

I had the same specs (though I have a pilot background with a couple of licenses.) I was a week out of my board in October, then I was told they had discontinued board meetings. Now, I've read that they have replaced the AFAST with something else. So I get to do that all over again.

One tip, if you do not have an aviation background, study! If you do; STUDY! I scored really well on the AFAST (now obsolete.) My study materials included;

-Jeppeson private pilot guide (for general aviation knowledge)
-Jeppeson Instrument pilot guide
-Master of Military Flight Aptitude Tests (for practice, take all the tests regardless of branch.)
-Principles of Helicopter Flight, 2nd Edition by W.J. Wagtendonk
-Other various publications of general aviation and helo knowledge

Helicopters by all rights are just a bunch of parts flying in formation waiting to fall apart. Also, a deep knowledge of mechanical workings is a plus. Though the best source of info is to talk to pilots. I've learned more about flying from random 'hanger flying' session that I ever had sitting in a plane. One such thing I learned in those sessions is why I'm still here today (I took a bird strike to the windshield.)

Every time you venture aloft you take your life in your own hands. Your training, knowledge and problem solving skills are all you have.

I went through the program straight out of college. It's been a few years ago. 1988. Pm me if I can answer any questions.