• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

As far as 7mm cartridges go, can the 280 Rem. be made into very accurate rifle?

NYH1

Private
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2013
New Yorkistan
Accurate as in sub .500" 5 shot groups with a good 26" heavy barrel? If setup properly can it hang with a 308 Win. or 7mm Rem. Mag. accuracy wise?

Thanks, NYH1.

Short answer, YES! I built one on an older Savage action for my son-in-law and it shoots very well. He does not spend time with it, but I can drive it well out to 700 with
160's. It has a similar velocity of an '06, same case design etc. Most any 7mm bullet will have good B/C's and will shoot good. The only issues we have had with the rifle is
the POS trigger system. Even the SS supply match trigger was a pai to tune. But, overall a good round.

Last edited:
Ackley all the way. Factory components readily available for it. I have an action in the safe that's going to be a 25"+brake 280AI

It will blow a 308 away but will always fall behind the 7mm Rem mag. I agree with above, go the AI route.

I said earlier the 280 was a good round, but as others have said the 280AI will really shine for you. It gives up very little to the 7 mag and has less recoil. If you go that
route keep in mind there are two versions of the AI. One is the traditional and the other is the Nosler AI, which is a bit different. The Nosler is 40/1000's shorter and can
cause case separation issues if run in a traditional 280AI chamber. If you forget your bullets you can run straight 280 ammo in a traditional 280AI chamber. With the
Nosler chamber you can't.

I have a 280AI built by APA with a 24" Broughton on it and a .308 AE. The 280AI gets down range much faster and hits the steel with much more force. Like others have said, low recoil, bullet flat hauling ass outta the barrel. Shooting 162 AMAX with RL17

I don't have a custom 280 but I do have an old remington 700 bdl 280 I hunt with. It shoots S .4s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should have mentioned. The rifle shoots much better than I can. When developing the load, CorBon had it down to about .30 with a 5 shot group. Best I've shot was a .50 group

Why mess with a 280ai and fire forming, or hard to find brass when you can just go 7mag and be done? Load it to whatever level you want. It will shoot 162amax at 2800 or 3100, your choice. One of the top three most popular cartridges so u can buy factory ammo anywhere or hand load.

No need to fireform 280 AI. Brass is readily available if you know where to look. As long as the reamer used is a SAAMI spec. The OP original question was is it as accurate. Yes it is as a 280 or 280ai.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I have a Remington 700 Classic 280 Rem. (the one that was chambered in a different cartridge every year for a while). It only has a 22" barrel but it's my favorite bolt action big game hunting rifle. Between it being a 280 Rem. and a 700 Classic.....I love it, it's just a thing of beauty. I just always wondered if a 280 Rem. could be setup to be super accurate like a 308 Win. or 7mm-08 Rem.

Thanks again, NYH1.

Last edited:
.280AI is my next build.

As far as .280AI vs. 7mm, I like the .280AI better than a belted magnum case any day. And with 2" more barrel, you match or better the 7mm Rem Mag with less recoil and less powder used.

And the AI case is soooo dang sexy!

.280AI is my next build.

As far as .280AI vs. 7mm, I like the .280AI better than a belted magnum case any day. And with 2" more barrel, you match or better the 7mm Rem Mag with less recoil and less powder used.

And the AI case is soooo dang sexy!

You will get about 150fps more with the 7 rm at the same barrel length. I don't think 2 in of barrel will cover that. I just load and shoot the 7rm just like any other cartridge with zero consideration of the belt. Not sure why people care about them. Nothing wrong with the AI, but there are off the shelf options that outperform it apples to apples. Ten grains less powder is a good reason I guess if you don't mind the velocity loss, but why not the 284win then. Again, nothing wrong with any of the 7mms it just seems like the AI is a solution looking for a problem. I was gonna build something in the area of the AI or 284 case capacity but I was lured into more capacity because of the hope of the heavier 7mm 195 hybrids...and they crushed my dream of just a little more capability even though what I have now is more than enough lol....

I look at the .260 and .280 with essentially the same eyes. Each is a more efficient variation on the parent case, providing better ballistic performance with reduced recoil. Obviously, an AI modification will increase performance, but I am far from convinced that I need the additional performance, additional recoil, or (perhaps) additional throat wear. The part I like about both is that they fall somewhat short of the overbore category, which suits me. My next logical step up from the .260 would be the .280. I would not stand out on the range at 1200yd in front of a .280 with higher BC bullets.

I have a pair of .280's, both Ruger 77 MKI's. One has a sporter barrel and is perfectly suited to deer hunting; the other has a Varmint weight barrel and has been my load development rifle for accuracy. Working the way up from 120gr bullets, I reached the 150gr level, and had to interrupt the project in favor of load development for shorter range rifles. I hanker to return to the project, and should be able to next shooting season. So far, Nosler BT's and H4350/4831SC have proven to be strong allies to the accuracy effort. In comparison to some projects this one has been a bit easier. The more accurate loads in the 150gr weight class have been with 50-55gr of these two propellants.

Greg

Last edited: