• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

As long as we are at it-- Military and fitness

G

What branch of the military turns out the most fit athletes/warriors

I have no idea. I do have a friend that was Army SF that went to a school with Marines. He said they did PT separately and he was glad of it.

Of the branches of military services go, the Marines do (of course). Any service can cherry pick people for SOCOM slots, and then get in a pissing contest...

I have a friend who was selected for the Marine Corps Reconnaissance school. Being AF he caught a lot of flak, His commander told a story at his retirement about a 10K (I think) run. He was determined to finish first. Crossing the finish line in the lead, he pulled out a small recorder and played the AF song. Didn't make many points with the cadre.

Well considering he asked for what BRANCH NOT what unit, and since I spent most of my career in the AF and some Army, I would say the Marines are the fitessed BRANCH.

Branch as a whole, I think it's pretty uncontested. USMC.

Although there is another conversation to be had in regards to fittest unit. And the winner of all that would get a pile of jack squat lol. I remember training exercises with SEALs on our MEU workup where they all could pretty much bench press a car...but got lost in the woods...on more than one occasion. Fittest doesn't necessarily mean most ready to fight. Then again, I bet they could board a ship and clear it much better than anyone else on that MEU.

In regards to the Air Force gent who came in first on the Reconnaissance School run and played the AF song as the rest came in...I think that's hilarious. Good for him. And if the devil dogs got fired up and motivated by it...perhaps they'd be inspired to beat him next time.

Branch as a whole, I think it's pretty uncontested. USMC.

Although there is another conversation to be had in regards to fittest unit. And the winner of all that would get a pile of jack squat lol. I remember training exercises with SEALs on our MEU workup where they all could pretty much bench press a car...but got lost in the woods...on more than one occasion. Fittest doesn't necessarily mean most ready to fight. Then again, I bet they could board a ship and clear it much better than anyone else on that MEU.

In regards to the Air Force gent who came in first on the Reconnaissance School run and played the AF song as the rest came in...I think that's hilarious. Good for him. And if the devil dogs got fired up and motivated by it...perhaps they'd be inspired to beat him next time.

Totally off topic. Your user name is Former 0302. Were you wounded and discharged? I ask simply because separating as an 02 is pretty rare under "normal" conditions.
Semper Fi, sir

Totally off topic. Your user name is Former 0302. Were you wounded and discharged? I ask simply because separating as an 02 is pretty rare under "normal" conditions.
Semper Fi, sir

MOS 0302 runs all the way up to LtCol, not really all that "rare" to separate as one.

MOS 0302 runs all the way up to LtCol, not really all that "rare" to separate as one.

Well fuck, I swear that for over 20yrs I thought the officer MOS's went first two number for occupational field and second 2 for pay grade, so an 0302 would be a 1st LT, 0303 would be a Capt etc. I just googled it and realized I had that totally jacked up. Shows how much I didn't know about officers. Learn something new.....

Thanks for getting me un-fucked Gunny (not the first time I've said those words)

Carry on, I'll be in the corner thrashing myself

Last edited:
I just went back and looked, they changed all kinds of enlisted MOSs around, did away with some and created some new ones it looks like.

No shit? That fucking sucks, I hope he survived it? If you have a way of contacting him please pass on my best.

Well fuck, I swear that for over 20yrs I thought the officer MOS's went first two number for occupational field and second 2 for pay grade, so an 0302 would be a 1st LT, 0303 would be a Capt etc. I just googled it and realized I had that totally jacked up. Shows how much I didn't know about officers. Learn something new.....

Thanks for getting me un-fucked Gunny (not the first time I've said those words)

Carry on, I'll be in the corner thrashing myself

My Gunny once said to me "This fucking thing is fucking fucked up. unfuck it!" I knew exactly what he ment.

Publicly stating that they act like normal people in regards to treating people fairly, don't act as if they are "better than you" Very professional in appearance and actions. Of course competitive, team oriented and seem eager to learn.

I've worked with PJ's and CCT guys, and can echo the above comment. They retain their "quiet professional" mindset and attitude, while others recently have not.

Semper Fi, sir

Semper Fi back :) What others have said, I left active duty as a Capt. the summer of 2000.