• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

As Promised... Pics of my Vest..

Re: As Promised... Pics of my Vest..

Hey Matt,

DK and a few others are speaking volumes in their post.

I agree and use the same thoughts on load out that DK has.
As a street officer I would use a kit that works with or builds upon what you have on at the time of the zombie attack.

My kit consist of essentials needed period. Something I would suggest is where you put your kit on the vest you choose. I like to keep my gross motor functions intact. I run my spare mag's (two carbine and two pistol) on "my" normal side so reloads are still the basic muscle memory. I have one set of metal cuffs around back in a BlackHawk strike pouch along with some plastic cuffs. Finishing the back with a med kit. My pistol runs in the same serpa holster as my duty belt. In the SHF realm I drop my duty belt, add radio and pistol to vest and go.
As always train with what ya carry.
Hope this helps.

My two cents picture.
vest123.jpg

Id say, given the option, a paraclete or CIRRA is the best option, it hold all your gear and carries the weight the best:
bea8698e.jpg

notice some guys have their stuff sloppy. remember to keep it high and tight:

scidgoodtwo-1.jpg

but i guess you would consider that a "heavy" load for LE types.

the kit i have for the mission pertaining to this website i actually just put to the test today:
tough to see the kit but its there, ill snap another pic from the training vid in a few minutes:
78e7cccf.jpg

965b0611.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spswatip</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rtgfi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If your going to keep that crusader sword on your rig, id move it to the back. Get it as close to/halfway underneath the hydration pack as possible, with the handle facing down. </div></div> WTF?!?!?! </div></div>

Think he means like the one on the back right side of my vest.

TRHA%20pic.jpg

It's a Grayman pounder mounted in a Red Hill Sheath inverted w/ molle locks. It is not intended to slit throats or defend myself if I am attacked, it is a tool. Tough and beefy and used as such, cutting brush, digging holes, smashing things, prying, cutting a few things etc. It's flat, so it doesn't interfere with the gunslinger II that I pack my rifle and equipment in. Because of the gunslinger I can't put anything with any thickness like pouches on the back of my vest. It isn't light but it doesn't weigh too much, and doesn't take up any valuable real estate since I couldn't reach around that far to get something out of a pouch very easily. But reaching backward w/ my thumb up it is very easy to get out, just pull down. Easy to put back in, just took a little practice and now it goes in easy, just reverse the process and shove until it locks in. I have had it for more than a year and a half, I have put a ton of miles on it hiking in rugged terrain in grows, in town on warrants, etc. and it has never come out unless I pulled it out, no problems with retention. Do I use it a ton? Not really. But I use it more than you would think, and when I have needed it, it was right there. No digging in a pack. I love the packs, but the more tools I can get on my vest that don't interfere with my mobility the better. Plenty of times I have to quickly deploy w/ my AR as a spotter or on different situations w/out the pack, and it will be on me and not in the pack which is still in my trunk. I don't mount it on the front, as it would take up valuable real estate and hangs up in the brush when low crawling either forward or in reverse. Hangs up a little on my back if I have to go in reverse through thick brush, but those situations have been rare (plus in blackberries you could be wearing teflon spandex and you would still get hung up). People look at it funny at first, skeptical that it can be pulled out or put back in, but when I show them how it works they realize how easy it is. Others on my team have started carrying their bigger knives in this manner also. Is it too big? Probably. Are there other tools I could use instead? Maybe, but they would need to fit flat to my vest and be easily accessible and not take up real estate on the front. It fits the purpose well. I have been looking at getting a little smaller fixed blade for my setup but no money for it now. But when I do, it will be most likely mounted in a red hill sheath in the same spot. And when that day comes the pounder will find its home in my gear I use for hiking/camping, so I can still use it for chores in the outdoors. Can't say enough good things about the sheath and the knife, they have done me right.

As far as hydration, the vests we have made always have the integrated bellows style hydration pocket on the back so we can throw a bladder in real quick or not. Depends on your AO and what your role is in response situations. There are plenty of times we are called to armed subjects who fled from pursuits into the woods, as we are pretty rural. In those situations it is an AR or M-14 show, with no packs. It is nice to have the capability to slide a bladder into the vest quickly since in those situations we will be pushing brush potentially and historically for hours, and we will need water. But in a quick deployment on perimeter on an armed barricade in town, I don't worry about it as I know I will have resources I can depend on, plus I carry water in my pack. I know it streamlines the vest a bit, since it takes away an extra layer and the molle mounts it would take to put a hydration carrier on the back. I will always want the option of throwing a bladder on my vest quickly.

I agree w/ doorkicker, get mount a tourniquet and some quick clot gauze somewhere accessible to you, might save your buddy's or your own life.

All of us on perimeter set up our vests similar to Insayn's in that no matter how many mags or whatever you carry, make the front as flat and uniform as possible to make going and staying in prone as comfy as possible. Use the vest to your advantage, I have my two pistol mags mounted on the left side of my vest so if I am in standing position I can rest my left elbow on them to assist with supporting our ridiculously heavy bolt guns. But we only have one vest, not two, so we carry more than we would if we were only perimeter because we are thrown into multiple roles and need more equipment as a result.

There is an unlimited amount of ways to set up your vest because everyone does different things, operates in different areas, deals with different things, and uses different tools. Use this forum to gather information and look at how different people set things up etc. but remember you have to set it up so it works for you, and we don't know exactly what you do on your callouts and at work.
</div></div>

What rig/setup is that?

Lost Marine,

In the pic with the pistol grip AK, what drop leg are you using with the single leg strap? Thanks...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lost Marine,

In the pic with the pistol grip AK, what drop leg are you using with the single leg strap? Thanks... </div></div>

That's a Safariland drop leg.

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=6004

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lost Marine,

In the pic with the pistol grip AK, what drop leg are you using with the single leg strap? Thanks... </div></div>

</div></div>

Nah, I mean the guy on the left - the guy on the right has a safariland but I'm asking about the other one with the single leg strap.

I have never understood cops that look like the 511 catalog, or ones that wear more gear than I did on a deployment.

Is that setup for your ego, or for your job? If you needed that for your job, the National Guard should be enroute..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Super Bee 950</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that setup for your ego, or for your job? If you needed that for your job, the National Guard should be enroute.. </div></div>

Not sure I am all fired up about ramming the door on a crackhouse known to stockpile long guns wearing a t-shirt and toting a .38.

See, I like to go home just as much as the guy going on a combat patrol in Iraq.
wink.gif

I have never heard of a cop dying because he was carrying too much ammo or wearing too much armor. It may have happened somewhere, sometime, but the Officer Down Memorial page has a lot more instances of officers dying from gunfire than heat stroke or exhaustion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Super Bee 950</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have never understood cops that look like the 511 catalog, or ones that wear more gear than I did on a deployment.

Is that setup for your ego, or for your job? If you needed that for your job, the National Guard should be enroute.. </div></div>

That's a good example of someone talking out of their sphincter. LOL!!

R.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Super Bee 950</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have never understood cops that look like the 511 catalog, or ones that wear more gear than I did on a deployment.

Is that setup for your ego, or for your job? If you needed that for your job, the National Guard should be enroute.. </div></div>

As a Major you wouldn't, you'd barely understand which pens to put in your satchel...LOL
J/K

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lost Marine,

</div></div>

Nah, I mean the guy on the left - the guy on the right has a safariland but I'm asking about the other one with the single leg strap. </div></div>

my bad. Not sure about that one.

Sounds like you need a trip to my "hood", Newark,NJ.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lost Marine,

</div></div> Nah, I mean the guy on the left - the guy on the right has a safariland but I'm asking about the other one with the single leg strap. </div></div>

Its a Spec-Ops "vapor"? Thats all that written on it. i bought it before my Fallujah tour in 04-05. what you see is actually no straps, it has 2 of them, but they are a push/pull clip? not very fast for transitions when secured with them, BUT it does retain the weapon tightly and i have never had it come out when i wasnt drawing it. 2 tours and many many hours of rigorous training. AND, if i do a slight twist while drawing, (if on safe, which we carry on fire anyway) it will catch it and put on fire for me.. but not useful for a LE, and not really reccomended for most military anyway as there is nothing keeping it from being drawn against you.. except you not letting them get to it
smile.gif

I would have to agree with Lonewolf. some say that I carry to much ammo on my entry vest but I train with them in that exact place and full of ammo everytime. The weight is not an issue because I am a nice size guy (6'1" 225lbs) and I would rather have the ammo when needed then not have it and say well someone once told me that I carry to much ammo and look like a 5.11 book so I took it off to look cooler. I carry 3 MP5/.40 mags on my vest on every entry and every training day. I also carry 2 spare pistol mags and a flash bang as well (if issued on that callout). I also have the med kit and cuffs along with radio and all that jazz but I didn't live through two tours in Iraq to get shot in a crackheads house.

I keep my MP-5 on there all the time due to working for a PD and not a SO. The chance of 100+ yard shots are less likely on a normal basis but in case Murrphy shows up my bailout bag is stocked with M4 mags and sits in the trunk next to my M4.

I have served warrants on houses that had more mags and more auto guns then our entire team carries. SO I WILL carry the extra weight as long as I am capable. Good luck and stay safe Gents. 1*

I worked the midnight shift as a Dallas PD officer in the fair park area of Dallas before I joined the military. I wouldnt say I am talking out my ass because I have been there and done that.

I stand by my comments.

Super Bee,

You most likely have NO idea what LEO do... Does my vest look overkill to you... well...Its NOT your ass on the line here..

True.. were NOT the military.. and the Military is NOT the POLICE...

There is a difference..... and our gear is designed to do the SAME thing... The MAIN difference is we dont ride with 15 other guys with air support and artillery.

Take a look in the news. There have been some recent shooting deaths involving LEO that COULD have been prevented IF they may have had access to better vest... maybe not...

Point being in our area with the gang/drug situations going on it is a war... there are shootings... there are large amounts of violence... and they are heavily armed...

You should have been here New Years Night... even my wife was able to point out the AK47 fire from the South Side of the city for about 3 hours...

ANY cop on here will tell you Level 2 vest will NOT even come close to stopping a rifle round.

That is the reason for my setup.. 99% of the time it is JUST me... maybe ONE other person with backup SEVERAL minutes out and that depends on the current call volume and what they are working.

Is 3 mags over kill....??? Not if your partner only had one and his just jammed... or you have a malfunction on the first shot and ditch the mag....

Entering a room/house with a unknown situation on the other side is NOT fun...so its nice to know that your vest can withstand most of what could be thrown at you.

Its heavy... hot and it SUCKS to carry... but for the 30 mins to a couple of hours its a SMALL price to pay for being able to go home to my family at night..

The reason for the ammo... well... its simple... if the shit hits the fan... and trust me.. IT HAS HERE...I want to be able to be self sufficient because the National Guard here..... is deployed for the 4th time... and they are NOT showing up on a local event with any help or assistance for me.

Matt (LEO SOUTH GA)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Super Bee 950</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I worked the midnight shift as a Dallas PD officer in the fair park area of Dallas before I joined the military. I wouldnt say I am talking out my ass because I have been there and done that.

I stand by my comments. </div></div>

As a former, you know SOP's and General Orders has gear requirements from Patrol on up to SWAT. So set the BS aside and relax. They will figure out what the "wants" and "needs" are as they dawn and train/utilize their gear. It's all apart of the learning curve. What works for some may not work for others.
On a side note, I have worked Oak Cliff, 5 Points, S. Dallas (where you speak of), East Dallas, The Grove, Camp Wisdom/67 and the Webb Chappel Extension....Am I a real bad ass?

CORRECTION:

My post was for SUPER BEE.

SORRY JERSEY MIKE. My appoligies.

Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.)

One thing I've learned from being operational and having worked with all kinds of high speed low drag types is I don't care what unit you were with, what patches are on your shoulders, where you've been, or where you're at, etc, etc... so until I watch you operate, or someone I do trust vouches for you, I don't trust you. Trust is earned, especially in this type of business.

In any profession shitbags fall through the cracks and end up on teams doing the job, and unfortunatelly sometimes we have to work with them. Maybe if lucky you can put them in a spot where others lives don't depend on them.

So resumes are very non impressive to me. Just my opinion!!!

Even a FOBit can brag about his 2 deployments, nothing wrong with that. Just recognize your lane and stay in it. From his comment it doesn't sound like his head is in the right place for any kind of high threat work.

R.

Rickp,

BIG +1

Thats also been some of my reasoning for my setup... While it may be ammo heavy... I have NO idea who is going to show up IF anyone at all... But I would not put it past someone to show up with their DIC* in their hands and have NO mental or equipment preparedness at all..

In the end.... its about teamwork and going home..

Matt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rickp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One thing I've learned from being operational and having worked with all kinds of high speed low drag types is I don't care what unit you were with, what patches are on your shoulders, where you've been, or where you're at, etc, etc... so until I watch you operate, or someone I do trust vouches for you, I don't trust you. Trust is earned, especially in this type of business.

In any profession shitbags fall through the cracks and end up on teams doing the job, and unfortunatelly sometimes we have to work with them. Maybe if lucky you can put them in a spot where others lives don't depend on them.

So resumes are very non impressive to me. Just my opinion!!!

Even a FOBit can brag about his 2 deployments, nothing wrong with that. Just recognize your lane and stay in it. From his comment it doesn't sound like his head is in the right place for any kind of high threat work.

R. </div></div>

I SOOOOOOOOO know what your saying bro, we had a few of them on our team didnt we. We got the same thing going on now too. High speed CV with F All skills to back it up and some with no CV and slipped through the cracks and we have to TRY to bring them up to speed.