• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns As promised, review of the M&P 22 pistol

tlsmith22

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2008
ALABAMA
url]

I finally got finished with my review of the M&P 22, the weather wasnt cooperating. I got right at $375 in it and another $90 in three spare mags, it only comes with one. I compared the 22 to my FS 9mm that I shoot in IDPA. I first sighted it in noting that I had to bump the sights slightly down and to the right. U will notice in the target posted that there are shots to the left, that was before I sighted it in. This was shot at 20 yds rested, so it actually shoots pretty good. The mags hold 12 rounds and I was using bulk pack Remington Thunderbolt ammo. All total, I shot the whole bulk pack, I think 525 rounds with zero failures from the gun, although I did have a couple bullets not fire but the had a clear firing pin strike. I will have to admit, I really liked the 22,but I gave it a couple of minor dings. The thumb safety, it isnt audible enough, not enough feedback from it, it just felt weird and the only other thing I noticed was the length of trigger. It seemed like the trigger was maybe 1/16 or 3/32 longer pull than the FS 9mm, not too bad though. I did check the trigger with a pull gauge and it came in at 4 lbs 8 ounces, not too shabby. For the guys running suppressors, u will be pleased to know that the barrel comes threaded from the factory for this option. The weight and size of the 22 is identical feeling to the FS 9mm as well. The rear sight is adjustable for both elevation and windage and the front sight and rear sight both have a set screw, I assume because of the aluminum slide. I liked the fact that the rear sight didnt have dots but that is a personal option. All in all, I gave the 22 a big two thumbs up and it is highly recommended.

Re: As promised, review of the M&P 22 pistol

Thanks. I was hoping for a more glowing review, but appreciate your honest look at this pistol, warts and all. My FS doesn't have the safety, so not much of an issue at my end. Does it fit into the same holster as your FS 9mm?

Yes it fits the same holster. I would for sure buy it again, I really like it alot. I have two buckmarks that really shoot, but this thing is jus fun to shoot. For the money and cheap practice, it s a keeper and im gonna removes the thumb safety. I failed to mention it does come with the mag safety.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tlsmith22</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> For the guys running suppressors, u will be pleased to know that the barrel comes threaded from the factory for this option. </div></div>

What do you mean by this? There is a threaded option? Or they all come with it? Barrel in the picture doesn't appear to be threaded so can you explain?

Thanks

All of them come threaded. They come with a little wrench to take the threaded cap off. Remove cap and screw on suppressor and ur ready to go. I can get u a pic if u want.

yes to the picture of the factory threaded m&p22 please. I am just waiting for my local dealer to call me back with a price and availability. Its strange when buyers go out of their way to buy something from a retailer and the retailer is not very interested in selling things.

The barrel comes threaded. You use the same adapter the walther p22 uses.

I got kind of excited when I saw a picture and it didnt have an exposed hammer I thought for a second maybe somehow it might be striker fired. Dunno if that would work in a 22 but it would be cool. Looks like a nice little plinker or trainer if you use an M&P, thanks for the review may have to talk to my dealer about getting one sometime.

Would you say this is a good pistol for a first pistol ? Or should you stick with the rugar 22/45 or browning buck mark

I have been keeping my eye out for one of these since they came out. I was unaware they were all threaded. Think that is a deal sealer. Thanks for the review.

I have two buckmarks and I like them really well. This pistol is prolly slightly less accurate than the buckmark and thats a small margin, but its alot handier that it fits regular holsters and such. I went yday and put another 550 thru it, thats 1100 rounds so far with zero failures...I am well pleased with it and would certainly purchase it again. Seems to be on par with the rest of the M&P line. I have done some pretty extensive testing of the M&P line and for a 1911 guy to recommend them, they have to be good.