• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ASAT camo

skytrooper67

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2023
WNY
Anyone here have any thing good or bad to say about ASAT pattern camo? Need new camo for whitetail/turkey hunting in farmland country. Fall & winter. Ground blinds and ladderstand. Its sure a different looking pattern. Looking at the ultimate extreme parka/pants for cold/wet weather. Thanks for any/all comments.

I see it in a few stores around were i live and looks to be a pretty versatile pattern.
I have honestly always been a fan of the Natural Gear pattern i even had a boat painted in that pattern.
If it does a fair job of matching the woods in your area i dont see why it wouldnt work for whitetail but its the turkeys that will really let you know how effective it is if your not mostly concealed with natural brush for cover.

Reactions: Modoc
I have it and have used it. I didn't have a lot of closeup action with wildlife eyeballs right on me, but there was a cow elk that came up, looked at me, and casually walked off. Seems like smell had more to do with not being seen, but fwiw it didn't seem spooked at all.

Where I hunt deer and turkeys hang around together. I've seen deer grazing in a hayfield with a flock of turkeys. Seems like they know that the turkeys have a better sense of awareness. First alert system so to speak.

Asat camo imo is fantastic. It’s worked great for me in the east and the west, very versatile that’s for sure. I’m on the firstlite r&d team and was super bummed when they did away with it years back cause I really liked it, do like there newer patters also though. Go for it if you can I think you’ll enjoy it. Scent control is still way more important then your camo though for staying undetected.

Ive been researching it. Seems like the older "firstlite" ASAT was better than the current stuff. Then you read elsewhere that says the older stuff wasnt worth a dam. The new stuff is better. You being in R/D whats your opinion? Im looking for warmth & waterproof.

The reason Im asking is theres a local guy on craigslist that says he has an original set of ASAT Extreme Ulitmate jacket and pants made by firstlite. Like new for $300. Claims they are better than whats available. They look really nice in the pictures. Just wonder whats your take on that.

Reactions: Nivium
I have no knowledge on differences of the asat itself with different clothing manufacturers. My only experience is with the firstlite brand that if I remember correctly was about 2016 or so when I last had any. I think if I was you I would back up a bit and figure out what type of clothing you are really needing not the pattern. Then I would find the brand that suits your needs the best. I’m saying this cause the patterns offered by most of the better brands is going to work just fine, scent control being more important then camo pattern again imo. Firstlite and a few other brands using merino type of fabric is a big plus with scent control especially on pack trips where your not able to do laundry. Chasing old used camo just for a specific pattern may not be the best choice. I loved my asat but also super happy with the cypher and fusion I’m using from firstlite now. If you have specific questions about the firstlite brand feel free to send me a pm and we can discuss your uses and typical hunting climate a bit more.

Reactions: Two36
I don’t think the Craigslist guy can sell that for $100. Nothing wrong with it . just weak market for used clothes. And size specific. So I’d low ball him

I have seen a few different demonstrations of what deer can see. Their sense of focus is not the same as ours because their eyes are two far apart for stereo vision, such as humans have. And they see blue very brightly and also ultraviolet, which is why they see well in the dark. Orange looks like a gray to them.

However, they can detect shapes. I have seen deer not spook at a man wearing blue jeans and a white, black, and red plaid shirt jacket.

But if the camo pattern is confusing to your eye, it is also confusing to their eye.

I only use ASAT now, or occasionally predator camo (the oldschool fall gray pattern). ASAT is the best. It does exactly what they say--if an animal sees you at all, they are mostly just curious about you. Seen it in action from mountain hunting in New Mexico to deep woods hunting in the carolinas. Doesn't matter the terrain, ASAT is the only camo I'll be using until it can't be found anymore. It's a shame that not many manufacturers use it anymore.

I would recommend ebay for some used ASAT gear. It's expensive stuff, but there are some deals to be had

Reactions: Simonsza1
The reason Im asking is theres a local guy on craigslist that says he has an original set of ASAT Extreme Ulitmate jacket and pants made by firstlite. Like new for $300. Claims they are better than whats available. They look really nice in the pictures. Just wonder whats your take on that.

The firstlite stuff was fine. Look on ebay to see if his pricing is fair, but it sounds pretty fair (I haven't shopped ASAT in a few years).

Ive been researching it. Seems like the older "firstlite" ASAT was better than the current stuff. Then you read elsewhere that says the older stuff wasnt worth a dam. The new stuff is better. You being in R/D whats your opinion? Im looking for warmth & waterproof.

I agree that the new stuff is very good. I only have two pieces of the old firstlite stuff, and it is also very nice. The new stuff is just outstanding.

In any event, ASAT is eventually going to disappear, and it will all be worth something because the ASAT cult isn't going to want to settle for anything else.

Reactions: Simonsza1

got to time stamp 08:01 to see how deer react to him sitting in the open wearing blue jeans and a plaid shirt jacket.

Thanks for all the replys. Craigslist guy sold the set for $250. I procrastinated to long. Hard to find a good deal on this camo. "we the people" Rob

Thanks for all the replys. Craigslist guy sold the set for $250. I procrastinated to long. Hard to find a good deal on this camo. "we the people" Rob
It turns up. Just save an ebay search so you get notifications. You can probably get a set of the new stuff for around $250 if you are patient. I would say the new stuff is every bit as good as the old stuff. Perhaps less heavy and substantial of a material, but the workmanship is still very good, it's more modern, the fit is better in my experience, and its lighter weight.

ASAT is trendy again… go figger. Was all the rage in the 80’s IIRC and then died out in favor of Realttee.

Based on Japanese Self defense forces, South African and Rhodesian patterns. Brit Army had a variant of it for a While, too.

Not sure it is better than anything else, but if you like it, go for it!!! It is especially effective in southwest scrub. And you don’t look like a tree!

Cheers, Sirhr

Other than snow, there's very little in nature that's one solid even color. So grandpa's plaid was camouflage.