• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ASC Spring 2014

Jon Lester

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2004
Tazewell . Virginia
Again i would like t thank all the folk's that put this thin on.Rod, John , Brock ,Don Matt and everyone else. With all the effort involved in putting on a normal match, this over-sized one went extremely smooth and that takes a huge amount of organization and work. Thanks!
Enjoyed all the old friends that we only get to see on this at this match, as well as new friends we managed to pick up along the weekend. Weather cooperated even though Friday looked to be one of the weekends that you hear Allegheny stories about.
A special thanks goes out to all my Friends from the Armed services, to us it is just a match, but for you guys, the training aspect of the job is continuous, even here. Proud to call you guys friends and forever in debt to your sacrifices. And thank you for the fabulous wind calls that carried me all weekend!
Another ASC is in the books and again, it was out of the park!

Another great match! Thank you to Rod, John, Brock, Matt, Jeremy, Brian, Emmett, Don, Trey, and I know I'm forgetting someone, but thank you all. This was another one to remember. From frog strangler rains on the drive up, foggy, then sunny, then a little rain/sleet, to more sunshine! It was great seeing old familiar faces and making new friends. I look forward to getting back up on the mountain and trying to make better wind calls!

I haven't missed one in a while, and it sucked not being there. Glad everyone had fun!

Congratulations to Jon Lester and all the other top shooters for a great match shot for this weekend. You guys put up a great fight and made it an interesting match to the finish!!!!
Thanks to everyone who came up to shoot with us, the staff all had a great time as well as those who shot the match!!! Sponsor thanks and other info to follow soon, but for now the results!!!!
2014 Match Results
(pdf attatchment)

Attachments

• Spring 2014 Match results.pdf
    38.5 KB · Views: 42
Ditto what Jon said. I really appreciate the immense effort that the staff puts into this. This shooting event is truly special.

Good seeing everyone again.

-Bryan

Congrats Jon/Matt/Shawn and big thanks to all of the RO's and Match Directors. Look forward to the next ASC!

Thanks to everyone that helped put on this amazing match. I am looking forward to next year already!

Congrats on the win Jon! I hope my daughter grows up to be half as cool as Sid.

Although I didn't get to shoot any snakes over the weekend we didn't go home empty handed. We took out a deer on the interstate at 80 mph.
I thing the commentary was something like this………. (Jered) "OH F--k" (Benefield) "HEADSHOT!!! Joplin that was a perfect shot on that 10 mph mover, maybe John will make this a new stage next year"

Needless to say it always finds something to get excited about.

Don't forget if anyone has any photos they want to get in the video please send your best ones to [email protected]

Thanks to Rod, John, Brock and others for putting on another great match. I had a great time. Was wondering if people could post up calibers and shooting finish order. Wondering if a bigger gun is in order for next time.

9th place was a 260 with a 142 smk @ 2775.

I know Jon was running a 7wsm. I finished second with a 6.5 creed running a 140 hybrid @2760. Sean Burkholder took third with a 6.5x47L running 130 VLDs. Next match im showing up with a 6mm Creedmoor running 105 Berger Hybrids at the speed limit.

The bigger bullets help some but it comes down to your ability to shoot the gun and make good wind calls. Some stages even those bigger bullets dissapeared and if you did not see trace you would be playing the guessing game.

I know Jon was running a 7wsm. I finished second with a 6.5 creed running a 140 hybrid @2760. Sean Burkholder took third with a 6.5x47L running 130 VLDs. Next match im showing up with a 6mm Creedmoor running 105 Berger Hybrids at the speed limit.

The bigger bullets help some but it comes down to your ability to shoot the gun and make good wind calls. Some stages even those bigger bullets dissapeared and if you did not see trace you would be playing the guessing game.

Definitely.

Tradeoffs everywhere. 230 Hybrids@2850 will slice through the wind like nothing else, splash best on steel and toss up good dirt when you miss, but is a big hindrance for Sgt. York and Got Dot.

The 7mm short mags seemed to be out in full force this weekend - and seemingly for good (obvious) reasons.

I was using a 6mm with 105s right at 3100 +/- a couple fps, and didn't generally feel undergunned, though many of my impacts were WEAK on those giant, unmoveable targets. I also had many no calls, particularly shooting over the farm at Middle Earth, Silo, Powder House and Tough One. Also, I had a shitload of misses where the wind had shifted just enough between shot one and shot two to result in a very, very narrow miss. Another .100 in BC certainly would have helped that a bunch.

A magnum 7mm is very alluring, but frankly, I don't know that I'm man/shooter enough to handle the recoil and blast from one. Can't help but wonder any advantage in ballistics I might get from the big 7 might be given up in ease of shooting it well.

Edit to Add: A giant thanks to John, Rod, Brock and crew for putting this on! Also, thanks to the other folks that support this match each year. Finally - nice seeing old friends again and meeting new ones! See you next time!

Last edited:
Awesome match guys. We shooters can't thank you guys enough for putting this on. Making shots in the terrain you guys have is something we never get to do in our part of the country. Congratulations to Jon on the win! Good thing he can shoot better than he talks!! Anytime I can score in the top 20 at your match with the caliber of shooters you get, I'm pumped! Again, Thanks!

What a blast as usual, great weather and even a little sleet at 57 degrees! Brock's tenderloin was awe inspiring as usual :) Thanks for everything guys!

Congrats to Jon, he was hammering!

Lesson learned: CONFIRM ZERO AT 100 BEFORE TREKKING TO ASC (and after disassembling rifle and reassembling)!!

FYI - for those of that shot in my squad - here are the simultaneous fire vids as promised - unedited at this point, enjoy!

580yds - 30+ guys simultaneous fire:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fnpswcwf6s0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

same @ 1250yds
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CdjrtuShWJE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

**Shot with iphone 5, meopix adaptor and Swarovski ATX 95mm on 30x

Last edited:
Thanks to John, Rod, Brock for a great match!!! Also a BIG thanks to all the staff who helped make the match what it was...which was AWESOME!! This was my first ASC and my first match of this type. I was a little intimidated by all the experience at the match, but it was all in my head. ALL the participants were way cool and very helpful to the "new guy". Congrats to Jon on the win! I guess the real thing about the whole match is that when it is over, you feel like you have accomplished something. You learned, you shot, you got your ass kicked by the wind, and you had a GREAT time doing it!!
I ran a gasser .308 with 175 Berger OTM. The rifle was capable, but alas, I was the nimrod behind the trigger. I was humbled, but ready to return again!
Perhaps next year with a 6.5 bolt, some experience, and the desire to meet the "Challenge"

My buddy Shawn has got some more pics of the match up on his site: Hawk Hill Custom - Hawk Hill Custom

Looks like you guys had some great weather out there. Congratulations to all the guys and gals that hit any targets at this match!!!!!

Loved the 30+ round simultanous fire vids - 30 rounds, say average bullet weight of 150grains, that is nearly a pound of lead hitting at once!