• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Astronomy telescope question

18Echo

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2007
Maricopa Co., AZ
I realize this is a shooting site, but I’m sure some of you guys dabble in this..

So last night I saw that Jupiter and Saturn were hanging out by the moon and just for the heck of it put my cheap spotting scope on a tripod and looked at them both.

I was actually able to see 3 moons of Jupiter and the rings of Saturn, I showed the kids and wife and they were really excited about it. To be honest I was a little awed by it myself, the vastness and beauty of God’s creation.

Anyways, the kids mentioned getting a family telescope for the desert night sky and I think I’m down with that.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a telescope about $600 or less that will let me look at the planets and further star clusters with some pretty good clarity. I don’t want to drop serious coin just for my kids to get bored with it. Don’t want a “go to” computerized model, I’ll find the stars myself.

Thanks!

Reactions: adubeau
Not for $600. Add a 2 in front of that and you're just starting to get into the hobby. You can make a decent telescope but it takes time to grind the glass and it's more difficult than you can imagine, but it can be done.

Look for an Astronomy Club in your area. They usually have public night watch events and those guys can help you with your desires.
Good luck!

Reactions: nn8734
When multiple people are viewing I prefer wide field of view and lower power. With a high-power telescope it becomes a chore to keep the object in the field of view for long enough.

You might sell your current spotter and upgrade rather than having two separate units.

Congrats on your new passion! It's also a great chance to slip in some history/physics/philosophy/everything for the family. For instance, Galileo used the moons of Jupiter that you saw last night to argue that the universe was not as Aristotle said, but rather celestial objects revolve around centers other than the earth. Pope at the time didn't like that, and a shit show ensued.

Giordanni Bruno thought similar, but he was tortured and burned at the stake. That might be a bit much for the kiddos, but you get the idea.

Then when you have multiple objects revolving around the same the timing is perfect to discuss Kepler's Laws of Motion. He discovered those based purely on observation, since Newton hadn't invented his famous laws that lead to the same result based on gravity yet.

OK, I'm getting off the computer before I go full nerd...

Reactions: fx77 and Dogtown
When multiple people are viewing I prefer wide field of view and lower power. With a high-power telescope it becomes a chore to keep the object in the field of view for long enough...
About low-power optics for amateur astronomy - years ago I discovered that a cheap pair of 10x50 Porro prism binos were able to reveal multi-colored gas nebulae and even pulled in the Andromeda galaxy on moonless, clear winter nights. Their wide field of view and exit pupil made it very easy to locate interesting things to observe, so you might consider pairing them up with your telescope.

If you decide to get into the hobby for real, a Televue NP101 or older Genesis will work nicely for casual observation and can be had used for usually under $2500. I have a Televue Genesis can usually make out at least three of the four Galilean moons of Jupiter, bands and red spot when it’s visible and seeing conditions are good. Can also see Rigel’s “double” in dark skies and really good seeing (in reality it’s double star is two stars but can’t split the two stars Rigel B and C w/the 4” refractor).

I used to own Meade and Celestron Schmidt SC type 8” scopes but could never get the color, contrast and sharpness that a quality APO refractor will give you.

Also, the moon looks amazing through a good refractor. The detail on the various craters, highlands and other terrain features really pop in the Genesis...I use various Televue eyepieces.

I always had a interest in astronomy but never had the time to per-sue it.Getting a pair of good 10x 50 binoculars sounds like a good idea to get started.

Reactions: rhsc
Not for $600. Add a 2 in front of that and you're just starting to get into the hobby. You can make a decent telescope but it takes time to grind the glass and it's more difficult than you can imagine, but it can be done.

Look for an Astronomy Club in your area. They usually have public night watch events and those guys can help you with your desires.
Good luck!

I do agree that there is a sweet spot between 2 and 3K, but you don't want to lay that much down unless you put in the time. And the astronomy club approach is great advice. Often, you can buy an excellent condition starter scope for less than half retail with some extras used from a club member that has upgraded.

I recently bought an Athlon Cronus 20-60x86 spotter, and was wanting to compare it to the Celestron M2 Regal 20-60x80 spotter that I've owned for 3-4yrs. Took them both out on tripods the other night to have a look at Jupiter & Saturn. But before I looked through either scope, I used a pair of Leupold BX-5 15x56 binos in hand-held mode (the Celestron was mounted on the tripod I usually put the bino on), and was surprised to be able to make out 3 of Jupiter's moons - in fact, I might have seen four, just couldn't hold the binos steady enough to be sure. After that, I went ahead with the comparison between the new Athlon & older Celestron. The most noticeable difference between the two scopes in my opinion was that the Athlon was capable of being focused slightly more sharply than the Celestron. They both have two focusing rings - coarse & fine - but the Athlon is consistently easier to find the 'sweet spot' with. This was the first time I'd ever seen the rings of Saturn, but even with the Athlon, they weren't that clear to my 68yr old eyes (will turn 69 in less than a month). My eye doc is wanting to see me every 6mo instead of annually for the first time - he feels I may be getting close to being a candidate for cataract surgery. That should say something about whether my opinion on optical quality of various binos & scopes.... However, this one experience is making me think more about astronomy, so I'll follow this thread with interest.

Cataract surgery was a great blessing to me. I can't believe how much brighter the world is. The only caveat is that when you have your first eye done, it's creepy when you look out of just one eye at a time. It can also give you a headache. Imagine one eye looking at a bright color and the other eye looking at a dull color. It is truly amazing at the difference I had. Everything was so muted before the operation. I would recommend the operation.

BullGear - I've heard a few friends sing the praises of having cataract surgery done. However, IIRC, every one of those guys had less than perfect vision all their lives, so the results of the procedure were bound to be very effective for them. In my case, I had the blessing of excellent eyesight right up to the point at the age of 40 when I realized I needed readers. As a commercial pilot, I went to my AME every year for a physical to renew the medical certificate for my pilot's license. Vision was as good as 20-10 during my 20s, slipped back to 20-15 by my mid-30s, and finally hit 20-20 just before I turned 40. I don't think I ever took good vision for granted, as I knew a lot of people who wore glasses from kindergarten all through their lives. I first started having issues while shooting mid range & long range prone during iron sight matches, but using a +.5 lens in the front sight cleared things up for a few years. By the time I'd hit the mid-50s, and the NRA had changed the rules to allow the use of both front & rear lenses in irons, I needed the help the rear lens provided. Now, it's nearly impossible to get irons adjusted to be able to see a fairly sharp front aperture AND a target bull at the same time, to the extent that I've pretty much said to hell with it. If a tournament like a 4x600 is being run with two strings requiring irons instead of all four being any/any, I either don't bother to enter, or tell the match director I'm shooting for fun, and will shoot scope only. Same thing goes for shooting handguns, unless I invest the $$$ in a few of the reflex sights that are built tough enough to withstand the battering of a semi-auto pistol's slide slamming back& forth continuously.

BullGear - I've heard a few friends sing the praises of having cataract surgery done. However, IIRC, every one of those guys had less than perfect vision all their lives, so the results of the procedure were bound to be very effective for them. In my case, I had the blessing of excellent eyesight right up to the point at the age of 40 when I realized I needed readers. As a commercial pilot, I went to my AME every year for a physical to renew the medical certificate for my pilot's license. Vision was as good as 20-10 during my 20s, slipped back to 20-15 by my mid-30s, and finally hit 20-20 just before I turned 40. I don't think I ever took good vision for granted, as I knew a lot of people who wore glasses from kindergarten all through their lives. I first started having issues while shooting mid range & long range prone during iron sight matches, but using a +.5 lens in the front sight cleared things up for a few years. By the time I'd hit the mid-50s, and the NRA had changed the rules to allow the use of both front & rear lenses in irons, I needed the help the rear lens provided. Now, it's nearly impossible to get irons adjusted to be able to see a fairly sharp front aperture AND a target bull at the same time, to the extent that I've pretty much said to hell with it. If a tournament like a 4x600 is being run with two strings requiring irons instead of all four being any/any, I either don't bother to enter, or tell the match director I'm shooting for fun, and will shoot scope only. Same thing goes for shooting handguns, unless I invest the $$$ in a few of the reflex sights that are built tough enough to withstand the battering of a semi-auto pistol's slide slamming back& forth continuously.

I too had great eyesight. Mine didn't start to go south until I was 50. Then it went down hill rather quickly. I knew it was getting bad by the time I was 56-57 and at 59, I had to have surgery. I barely passed my eye test for my driver's license renewal. After the operation, the only weird thing is if a light hits my eye just perfectly (usually from the side), I get little starbursts in my vision. But the ability to see colors is a night and day difference. It's amazing.

I realize this is a shooting site, but I’m sure some of you guys dabble in this..

So last night I saw that Jupiter and Saturn were hanging out by the moon and just for the heck of it put my cheap spotting scope on a tripod and looked at them both.

I was actually able to see 3 moons of Jupiter and the rings of Saturn, I showed the kids and wife and they were really excited about it. To be honest I was a little awed by it myself, the vastness and beauty of God’s creation.

Anyways, the kids mentioned getting a family telescope for the desert night sky and I think I’m down with that.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a telescope about $600 or less that will let me look at the planets and further star clusters with some pretty good clarity. I don’t want to drop serious coin just for my kids to get bored with it. Don’t want a “go to” computerized model, I’ll find the stars myself.

Thanks!

You are asking a lot for that amount of money. To really look at planets with great clarity and detail, and deep sky objects, you will need to go with at least an 8" Schmidt-Cassegrain like a Celestron 8SE. It is a heck of a learning curve to overcome with telescopes like this, but if you have the patience for it, it can be incredibly rewarding. And, just like firearms, once you really get into it, you never have all the additional gadgets you need.

And, as far as the computerized models go, it's a necessity if you want to look at deep sky objects that you can't even find with the naked eye, or even 10 power binoculars for that matter. And, you will need that motorized mount to keep your target in the viewfinder long enough to see it. I think the local astronomy club is a good idea. But, beware that these guys and their equipment can make it look a lot easier than it really is for a beginner. There is a lot to see out there if you have the telescope for it. (And, the patience.)

Going to some star parties with the local astronomy club is a great idea, you'll get to check out a number of different types of telescopes and it will give you an idea of what to expect with amateur equipment.

That said, my recommendation for a beginner that doesn't want a computerized scope would be something like this:

I recently bought an Athlon Cronus 20-60x86 spotter, and was wanting to compare it to the Celestron M2 Regal 20-60x80 spotter that I've owned for 3-4yrs. Took them both out on tripods the other night to have a look at Jupiter & Saturn. But before I looked through either scope, I used a pair of Leupold BX-5 15x56 binos in hand-held mode (the Celestron was mounted on the tripod I usually put the bino on), and was surprised to be able to make out 3 of Jupiter's moons - in fact, I might have seen four, just couldn't hold the binos steady enough to be sure. After that, I went ahead with the comparison between the new Athlon & older Celestron. The most noticeable difference between the two scopes in my opinion was that the Athlon was capable of being focused slightly more sharply than the Celestron. They both have two focusing rings - coarse & fine - but the Athlon is consistently easier to find the 'sweet spot' with. This was the first time I'd ever seen the rings of Saturn, but even with the Athlon, they weren't that clear to my 68yr old eyes (will turn 69 in less than a month). My eye doc is wanting to see me every 6mo instead of annually for the first time - he feels I may be getting close to being a candidate for cataract surgery. That should say something about whether my opinion on optical quality of various binos & scopes.... However, this one experience is making me think more about astronomy, so I'll follow this thread with interest.

I did the same with my Athlon Argos HD 20-60x85 - I was able to pick up Jupiter and 3 moons as well - pretty damn cool I say - I had a hard time getting lined up on Saturn, I may try again tonight..

Good luck!
@18Echo...this is sound advice.

Before spending money on an astronomical scope, you should visit a club or two on their star party nights. It will give you an incredible opportunity to look through a wide variety of astronomical instruments. There are so many different types of scopes out their that suggesting what you should buy is not possible. It really depends on a huge amount of factors.

I have been an amateur astronomer for 40 years and have owned everything under the sun in terms of reflectors, cassegrains, refractors, etc. I have ground my own mirrors and made my own reflectors as well. No one type of scope can view everything equally well. These are some questions you should answer before you buy.
  1. What do I want to view? Some scopes are designed for deep sky viewing. These require very large apertures to gather as much light as possible. Others are designed for planetary/lunar and solar viewing. These areas are typically best served by refractors that use lenses instead of mirrors. You need to get this straight in your head before you purchase a telescope. Your 75% use case should be what you base your purchase upon. Don't buy the wrong scope for the job at hand.
  2. How large an instrument do I want to deal with? Lots of beginning astronomers want BIG BIG BIG...until they have to move it around and set it up. Then the charm goes away. The more light you try to gather, the more you must have a dark sky. If you have a lot of ambient light pollution, size is not your friend.
  3. Do I want to photograph? If you do, then you will need a mount that is SUPER stable or you will be disappointed. Even short exposure photography through a telescope exposes weaknesses in the mount. If your mount is cheap, forget long exposure photography.
  4. Budget - You are not just buying an optical tube and mount. You need to allocate the cost for eyepieces, solar filters, etc. Be realistic and definitely look at used equipment. A great source for used equipment is Astromart. You will be able to get decent deals but like anything, there is no free lunch. You get what you pay for. The astronomy game is more expensive than long range shooting if you want tier 1 equipment. I would hate to tell you what each of my two refractors cost. They are worth every penny though. They never go down in value and they can be handed down to your children. Not to mention, provide you with a lot of pleasure.
Feel free to ask me any questions you may have and good luck with the purchase.

Reactions: adubeau
I am an astronomy guy and I am a big fan of the Celestron brand of telescopes. Just buy the highest priced one you are willing to pay for. My first one was the nicest one you could get without the motorized star tracking feature. I started doing photography shortly thereafter and really wished I had star tracking :( When you are really zoomed in (and you will be if you want to look at stars) then you can see the star streak across the lens in a couple of seconds due to the rotation of the earth and the tiny FOV. Its really a pain to be turning the knob by hand trying to follow it.