• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

At the Range: Guns & Gear of Green Beret Snipers

AvsFan

Minuteman
Oct 2, 2011
Colorado
Thought I would share for those interested.

Cheers,

AvsFan:cool:

At the Range: Guns & Gear of Green Beret Snipers - Guns & Ammo

<object id="flashObj" width="480" height=><param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=1930870353001&linkBaseURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gunsandammo.com%2F2013%2F11%2F01%2Frange-guns-gear-green-beret-snipers%2F&playerID=973698996001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAETeEfI~,i-5J2ubuAMtrBswh0PvpouAMH3Ey66kE&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=1930870353001&linkBaseURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gunsandammo.com%2F2013%2F11%2F01%2Frange-guns-gear-green-beret-snipers%2F&playerID=973698996001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAETeEfI~,i-5J2ubuAMtrBswh0PvpouAMH3Ey66kE&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="480" height="270" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>

I love how he points a "I assume loaded" glock in the hosts face...haha! Larue OBR to a mile sub moa.

Last edited:
oh boy....this is wrong on so many fronts. I'm not sure Chance is with SF still though he did win one of the big matches awhile back so he can for sure shoot. Maybe he just got a little carried away from being on camera, it's not easy doing that.

Yeah, he is kinda stretching it a bit, a BIG bit.

Shooting that .308 to 1760 yards.... Maybe if you want to hit the broad side of a barn.

I call B.S. A DMR scope (Own and love one), looks like a plastic screw on bolt knob on the first bolt gun. Points a gun at the guy, and can shoot a OBR sub MOA at a mile? When he said he personally shot it at a mile that doesn't raise a flag. I've shot my 20" 308 that far before but sub MOA was not even close to being considered. I was sub mountain maybe lol But him just saying that makes me question this guy doing what he claims. Or maybe the GB measure things different. IDK. Why couldn't he say sub moa at 1K and that would be impressive enough. And saying 2600yds is easy with the 300WM. Again, I would probably expect the same results the 308 gets at a mile. Don't get me wrong, there have been 308s at a mile with respectable results but not a short OBR getting 15" groups. Hey maybe he's shooting 1 shot groups.

This is how gun shop rumors get started: I saw it on television, from a real SF guy, so it must be true.

18" .308 gas gun with M118LR sub-MOA at a mile, and .300WM effective to 2600? Nope.

And I have never seen a .308 get 'respectable results' at a mile. Ever. Not even with one of those really, really long barrels on it.

Why is it that ever since that Magpul video came out it has become taboo to say on the Internet that the .308 simply won't shoot well at a mile?! It won't.

Last edited:
Apparently you haven't seen magpuls DVD LOL. I wasn't intending for you to get 338LM results in your head, just saying that I have been surprised slinging 308 rounds long ways in the mountains.

I've never seen it. I agree, I hear about it all the time. That's the only reason I threw that in there. BUt seriously, in 08 and 09 I saw some pretty amazing things done with a 308 at TVP. Not trying to start a debate but just to tell ya, if you want to see one of my rifles shoot crazy good, take it out of my hands. Laffin

Times sure have changed...along with gear and facilities.

Times sure have changed...along with gear and facilities.

Dog, you were one of those Green guys right! No opinion on this? Im obviously baiting you.

Yeah that would be strange if he negated his muzzle control and pointed it at the host, but if you look there is a cut in the edit, could be he was pointing at nothing. I think that Chance guy and his partner won the Army sniper competition in 2011 at Benning? Something like that. Anyhow, then there is the "this weapon that can shoot out to this distance" and then there is the "we would engage enemy out to this distance with this weapon system" policy. Big difference I would think when it comes to sniper practice.

What do I know tho, maybe those guys are trained to that level of proficiency?

Last edited:

This is a big psyops campaign.

Because you know who is watching this too.

:D
Good thinking... But MISO are planned, with a goal in mind. This could be more accurately described as misinformation, but I don't think it was intentional. Besides, when we can take the enemy with precision unopposed from fifteen thousand feet, misjudging our capabilities by a few hundred yards doesn't give them much of an advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol I seriously hope this video is fake, or at least not intended to be taken seriously

Knowing what one is talking about is not an all or nothing proposition. Rob Furlong got Mils wrong on the History Chanel sniper show, but Rob knows what he is talking about.

Of course, doing well in a competition and knowing what you are talking about do not necessarily correlate, so I'm not a fan of the illustration upon which you based your assumption.

Last edited:
Apparently you haven't seen magpuls DVD LOL. I wasn't intending for you to get 338LM results in your head, just saying that I have been surprised slinging 308 rounds long ways in the mountains.

I got it watched it, kind of. It was unwatchable according to how my brain works. Stopped after 10 minutes and subsequently threw it out. There may be something good in there but I could not wait through all the filler and time killing chatter about nothing to get to the one or two good bits.

I've seen some pretty impressive shooting out of an 18" 308 gasser here in the TX Panhandle out to a mile. Was able to hit a man size target multiple times. Would I take that shot. No but it showed me how capable my weapon was if I did what I was suppose to. Not saying I would shoot my 300WM at 2600 either but I bet you could! Lots of wide open spaces here in the Panhandle! I think these videos are more of a chest beating contest than anything. How many if you actually watch gun shows on TV? I hardly watch TV. With the exception of CSI Miami!! Sorry ill curb the sarcasm!!

Was able to hit a man size target multiple times

Out of how many rounds?

1 in 30 does not count as good shooting, just luck.

Even the best .308 bolt guns shooting the finest recipes tuned for that specific gun have a real problem at a mile. I have been around some very talented shooters and I have never seen anyone shoot at a mile with a .308 sub MOA which is what would be needed to hit a man sized target.

I didn't say it was sub MOA. That's was on TV. I don't remember how many we shot that day. Once we knew the hold he was able to hit three shots in a row. I'm not here to justify the TV show. Just to say a gas gun can shoot at a mile. We did it just to say we did. Not for anything else!

I didn't say it was sub MOA

You did say it in a round-about way, to hit a man-sized target at 1 mile you have to shoot sub MOA because the average torso is 16-18" wide.

Just because you know the hold over does not mean you can hit something that far, too many other things come into play: What happens to the bullet path when it goes sub-sonic which is never the same, any slight variation in wind and air temprature will have an effect, even the best ammo will not shoot a bullet on the exact same path as the last one and that is damn near what has to be done.

I am not saying you are being dishonest, but I am a very experienced reloader and shooter that has the discipline to be able to pull off 1 mile shots and I can tell you, they are insanely hard to do, especially 3 shots in a row. I have never been able to pull of 3 consecutive shots at 1 moa at a mile due to the limits of the gun and the limits of the ammunition.

3 consecutive shots sub moa at a mile.... That requires an act of God. Your friends name isn't Jesus by any chance?

I've had some magical moments on ranges 37 and 19, but maybe not quite that enchanted.