• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Battle of Mogadishu

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    <object width="640" height="360">
    <param name="movie" value="http://www.nralifeofduty.tv/embedded/bn_videoplayer_lod.swf"/>
    <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/>
    <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/>
    <param name="FlashVars" value="autoPlay=false&videoInfo=http://www.nralifeofduty.tv/svc/videodetails?videoid=351"/>
    <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="360" src="http://www.nralifeofduty.tv/embedded/bn_videoplayer_lod.swf" flashvars="autoPlay=false&videoInfo=http://www.nralifeofduty.tv/svc/videodetails?videoid=351"/>
    </object>

Re: The Battle of Mogadishu

TY,LL

Great! Thanks for posting this Lowlight. Great perspective on a familiar story.

Lawrence N. Freedman
    Sergeant Major, United States Army (Retired)

On 23 December 1992, CIA Paramilitary Officer Larry Freedman was the first casualty of the conflict in Somalia.

Larry was a former Army Delta Force operator and Special Forces soldier. He served two years in Vietnam and earned two Bronze Stars and a Purple Heart. He served in every conflict America was involved in both officially and unofficially until his death.

Freedman died while conducting special reconnaissance in advance of the entry of U.S. military forces into Somalia. His mission was completely voluntary, as it required entry into a very hostile area without any support. His actions provided US forces with crucial intelligence in order to plan their eventual amphibious landing. Freedman was awarded the Intelligence Star on 5 January 1993 for his heroic actions. Brigadier General Richard Potter gave the eulogy at Fort Bragg's John F. Kennedy Chapel and cited a passage from Isaiah:

I heard the Lord say "Who shall I send and who will go for us?

I answered, <span style="font-weight: bold">"Here I am. Send me." </span>

===============================

From a 1997 article by Ted Gup:

In some ways, Lawrence N. Freedman was an unlikely candidate for the career he chose. Born into a devoutly Jewish home in Philadelphia, he brazenly declared himself "SuperJew," a nickname used by his colleagues in Delta Force, the elite counter-terrorist unit headquartered at Fort Bragg, N.C. His sister even made him a Superman-like cape with the Hebrew letter for "S" that he wore at parties. On Friday evenings he would sometimes say the blessing over the Sabbath candles, but he could also be as obscene and profane as anyone on base.

He was deliberately over-the-top. A notorious flirt and rogue, he tested all who came in contact with him, taking their measure and weeding out the squeamish. He was only 5-foot-9, but armored with muscle from years of pumping iron, running five miles a day and keeping his survival skills sharp. When he wasn't on a mission he was often cruising down the highway on his Harley Davidson FXRT, 1340 cc, the fringe of his black leather jacket and chaps flying. To the outside world he might well have been mistaken for an aging truant, but many who got close enough to know him saw him as a man consumed by the military's ideals of duty and honor. "He believed in everything we all believed in -- red, white and blue, John Wayne, apple pie," says former colleague Ron Franklin.

Freedman sought out risky assignments around the world. First it was as a Green Beret in Vietnam, where he married his first wife, a Vietnamese woman, and adopted her two children. Then it was Central America. He was there for Desert One, the aborted 1980 mission to rescue the U.S. hostages in Iran, a journey that took the lives of eight of his fellow soldiers. From 1986 until 1990, he helped train the Delta Force. Then he retired -- at least that was his cover story. In fact, he signed on with the CIA's Counter-Terrorism unit.

As a soldier, Freedman was many things -- a medic, a "bomber" trained to defuse explosive devices, an intelligence officer, an expert in hand-to-hand combat, and a communications, or "commo," man. But as a sniper he was nearly without peer. Once, remembers Gale McMillan, a maker of specialty weapons, the two of them were testing night scopes at Camp Perry. It was a night so dark it swallowed up the faces of their watches. Freedman lay down, steadied his arm on a sandbag, and fixed his scope at a target no larger than a quarter at a distance of 250 yards. He squeezed off five shots. When they examined the target they found a single ragged hole through which all five bullets had passed, McMillan says.

In 1992, Freedman sought an assignment in Operation Restore Hope, the campaign to deliver food to Somalia's famine-stricken population and to restrain the country's warring factions. He was a 51-year-old grandfather. Some 10 days before shipping out, he visited McMillan in Phoenix. The visit was part personal, part professional. Freedman appreciated weapons. He always carried a Colt .45, its grip customized to fit his hand, its works "tuned to combat" -- retooled so the clip would feed faster. In Phoenix, he bought a tactical scope for his .308 rifle, a 10-power built to click each time he adjusted his aim for distance. The day before Freedman left, he and McMillan had a long talk. "I was telling him," recalls McMillan, " `Look in the mirror and see the silver in your temples. That ought to tell you it's time to slow down and let the young guys take the risks and do the dirty work. You've already done everything expected of you.' He kind of laughed and said, `If there's any way I want to go, it's doing it.' "

His wife, Teresa, remembers the last phone call she got from him. "His voice was different. It was more like a real goodbye. It was more like this was a journey he was going on and he wasn't going to be returning. I sensed the fear that possibly this time he would not be back."

At 6 a.m. on December 23, 1992, Teresa's doorbell rang. It was the CIA's liaison officer at Fort Bragg. His message was stark, if incomplete: Larry had been killed the day before. Teresa screamed, then collapsed in his arms.

Only days and weeks later would she be given any details. She was told Freedman had driven over a Russian-built mine near the town of Bardera. His body had been helicoptered to the USS Tripoli, where a medical officer filled out the death certificate. The blast had caused severe head trauma, blown off his lower right leg and opened his chest. Death was "immediate." Three men with Freedman, all listed as "State Department Security Personnel," were also wounded. One of them died, she was later told.

A former CIA officer who worked with Freedman says that while the precise nature of his mission in Somalia was not known to him, it was essentially to perform a liaison role between the U.S. Embassy in Somalia and the U.S. military forces then arriving in the country. Freedman was part of a "pickup" team, an elite paramilitary unit whose job was to provide the agency and the resident ambassador with a stream of intelligence to guide specific military operations.

Freedman's funeral was held at Fort Myer Chapel in Arlington. Col. Sanford Dresin, then the senior-ranking Jewish chaplain in the armed forces, gathered Freedman's immediate family together to observe a time-honored ritual of grief -- the rending of the black cloth known as keriah. But they could find no black cloth, so Dresin improvised and used black paper. Such a field expediency would have been appreciated by Freedman, he remarked.

During the service, Dresin referred to the tradition of Jewish warriors, such as the Maccabees who two millenniums earlier had valiantly struggled with the Syrians. The service was attended by family and friends, among them beefy members of Delta Force and a cadre of dark-suited men behind mirrored sunglasses, some of whom arrived by limousine. In the days after, Teresa received many expressions of condolence. One of the callers was President George Bush, who telephoned from Camp David.

To the public, Freedman was identified as a civilian employee of the Defense Department. On a Pentagon casualty list, his name was even misspelled and he was given the wrong middle initial. Hardly anyone recognized the error, much less the man.

On December 31, 1992, CIA Director Robert M. Gates awarded Freedman a posthumous Intelligence Star for exceptional service. The citation recognized his "superior performance under hazardous combat conditions with the Central Intelligence Agency."

It took three years for the agency to send Teresa the medal and citation. With it came a letter and a warning: "Those persons who may be told of these awards will be left to your judgment; however, please do not disclose the details on which the awards were based. In addition, please do not release or cooperate in the release of any publicity concerning these awards."

Following Freedman's death, contributions in his honor were made to a Fort Bragg museum dedicated to special warfare, supporting construction of the "Sergeant First Class Lawrence `SuperJew' Freedman Memorial Theater."

Teresa retains a photograph of two Belgian paratroopers standing at an American-built bridge in Somalia near where her husband fell. Stenciled in white paint on a steel plate at the entrance to the bridge is written "Lawrence R. Freedman Bridge." (Again the middle initial is wrong.) And at Fort Bragg, in the plaza that honors heroes of the Special Operations Command, Freedman's name appears on a plaque, listed as a State Department casualty.

Today Freedman's grave at Arlington National Cemetery, Section Eight, No. 10177, is marked by a jet-black tombstone. On it is the Star of David, the wings of a paratrooper, a Green Beret and an inscription: "The life of the dead is placed in the memory of the living."

lnfreedman-01.jpg

Thanks for posting. Very good stuff.....

One of the best post in a while I feel..Thanks for that

I like the line he said "Men go to war for a cause, but die for each other"

Thanks again Lowlight

Great story, should be posted here *Post an intelligent, inspiring video* in Maggies Grill, as well.

From...
    http://www.campbell.army.mil/units/5thSFG/Pages/5thGroup.aspx

"In August 1992, four months prior to the deployment of any other U.S. forces, 5th SFG (A) conducted operations in the country of Somalia. Soldiers of the Group deployed in support of U.S. and United Nations Forces and conducted unconventional warfare, direct action, special reconnaissance and coalition support."

Thanks for posting the video and other write-ups. Brings back memories from a past life.

I get a type error #1009 is it working for others? I would like to see this. Thanks PG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I get a type error #1009 is it working for others? I would like to see this. Thanks PG </div></div>

Same here. Is there an external link that we can watch this on or something?

When the battle of Mogadishu was happening, a civilian cameraman shot a lot of video and pictures of the entire battle. His name is Jim Redmond, a retired camera/reporter for Fox 7 in upstate NY. His son 'D' and my son 'R' were best friends adn when I met Jim for the first time I was impresssed by his nice attitude, good drinking beer partner, and a year later,"Ah Mogadishu, did I ever tell you about the filming of the battle?" "HUH???" "you mean YOU WERE THERE???"
    "Oh,it was no big deal, scared the livin piss out of me though, but yeah, I shot the video when they too Ideed's compound and all that."
    After that evening, I had a ton of respect for Jim. Quite a guy with some pretty darn good camera work in more than one theater of conflict. Had he been Army or Gyrene, he surely would have been a Combat Camera, but he was just a civilian guy doing his job. He also states that he is only an upstate redneck farmer growing hops for a local brewing company

Gotta wonder how differently things may have gone had clinton authorized the use of Spectre.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gotta wonder how differently things may have gone had clinton authorized the use of Spectre. </div></div>

The use of military assets should not be left up to politicians...

Nice read. Thank God for people like that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TBannister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice read. Thank God for people like that. </div></div>

+1000

Video gets error message, and nothing can be found on YouTube. Anyone else have any luck?
    Great post.

No luck here either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shibumi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Video gets error message, and nothing can be found on YouTube. Anyone else have any luck?
    Great post.

</div></div>

Wow - that was powerful.

Thanks for taking the time to share that!