• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AT-X accuracy ?

BurtG

GOLDEN TICKET HOLDER
Supporter
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Nov 9, 2022
    Northeast
    Let’s hear it

How’s your AT-X with stock barrel shoot ?

Please post approx group size and year your At-x is (it’s either by the serial number or part of it )

Hearing bad reports

Also post number of grooves in barrel of possible.

I sold my barrel unfired as I had plenty from my axsa but hearing all these bad things is disappointing

Reactions: diggler1833
    Gen 1 AT-X (21 serial number), barrel is marked W5380. Total extent of my load development was seeing if it liked 140 elds at 41 grains or 41.5 of powder. If there's an issue it started after this one.

20230312_184211.jpg

20230312_184154.jpg

20230709_150323.jpg

Gen 2 AT-X. WinTac Bartlein 6.5 Creed.

3 different charge weights, (2) 5-shot groups each, no seating depth testing. 4350 with 135 ATips:

IMG_9121.jpeg

Factory 143gr Norma golden bullet. Rounds 3-7 out of the barrel:

IMG_7979.jpeg

Thing is completely boring.

Gen 1. 41.5 h4350 140 eldm.

Fucker on the trigger is the main problem

Attachments

• 20230606_170111.jpg
      20230606_170111.jpg
      555.8 KB · Views: 50
    Right at 2850. My howa 6.5 runs about 75 fps slower.

I haven't heard a peep about accuracy issues. Triggers yes, but I think that was blown out of proportion.

I also can do 180+ in f class at 1k off my bipod atlas. Nothing stellar but our wind swirl is a bitch

My ATX is from the very first run. 21 serial number. I have assumed the barrel is a win tac chambered bartlein. Very accurate, groups look exactly like @just browsing.

143eldx, 41.5 h4350, lapua brass. No seating depth tests, easiest load development ever. No break in. No unusual fouling, barrel cleans very easy.

My ATX is Gen.3 bought from the UK (probably Lothar Valter barrel) with the 22AT series. It shot 0.2-0.3 MOA right from the start with factory Hornady 147 ELDM TAP ammo. I bought 3 boxes of NORMA Golden Target MATCH 143 gr ammo to try it out. I hope it will be ok, especially since in the meantime he also received a competition tunner

Same recipe as my hand loads. Where'd you end up for velocity? Planning to run some of my rounds through @Bullet_magnet gen 3 AT-X to see if they shoot the same.
    Curious to see the results. With factory ELD 140 & Sig 140 I'm seeing sub half MOA...when I do my part of course.

With factory sig 6.5 ammo the standard deviation was 4 when we chronoed.

What kind of bad reports are you hearing? Thought the barrel and action were designed the same as previous versions for the most part?

Are the ATX not bonded? Maybe an issue? Otherwise torque on the quickloc screw??

Honestly first I’ve heard of this. The LW 308 I have on my AT and win tac 6.5 I had on my AXMC were 1/4 moa without much trouble

What kind of bad reports are you hearing? Thought the barrel and action were designed the same as previous versions for the most part?

Are the ATX not bonded? Maybe an issue? Otherwise torque on the quickloc screw??

Honestly first I’ve heard of this. The LW 308 I have on my AT and win tac 6.5 I had on my AXMC were 1/4 moa without much trouble
    yeah i got all nervous about other stuff, but no reports on accuracy. Hell mine has an awesome RTZ when I pull the barrel for cleaning.

People should shoot more. post less.

Reactions: adisan77ro
    I'm fighting a barrel that copper fouls easily (round count is 40 by me now). See the bottom of page 102 in the AT-X thread for photos if you're that interested. I'm sure it'll break in, but my other barrels have me spoiled to where this is not as enjoyable.

1 box of factory 140 ELD-M gave me (4) 5-shot groups of .515 (on a clean barrel), .602, .646, and .781". Not quite what others are getting, but decent enough that I cant complain. I chronographed the final 5 shots...Avg: 2671 with an ES of 102, and SD of 44. Oof. I also chronographed my last group of 147gr ELD-M, and it was 2645 with an ES and SD of 39 and 13.

Guess I'll try screwing with some handloads while I continue to have to pull and scrub the bore every 20 rounds. At least the CCB shot seems to be within the group average.

20230715_115232.jpg

I'm fighting a barrel that copper fouls easily (round count is 40 by me now). See the bottom of page 102 in the AT-X thread for photos if you're that interested. I'm sure it'll break in, but my other barrels have me spoiled to where this is not as enjoyable.

1 box of factory 140 ELD-M gave me (4) 5-shot groups of .515 (on a clean barrel), .602, .646, and .781". Not quite what others are getting, but decent enough that I cant complain. I chronographed the final 5 shots...Avg: 2671 with an ES of 102, and SD of 44. Oof. I also chronographed my last group of 147gr ELD-M, and it was 2645 with an ES and SD of 39 and 13.

Guess I'll try screwing with some handloads while I continue to have to pull and scrub the bore every 20 rounds. At least the CCB shot seems to be within the group average.

View attachment 8183248
    Did you find out if your barrel is a 4 or 5 groove?

Mine is stupid accurate. This is 8 shots with factory 140 eld match including cold bore.Measured .53 moa

IMG_7671.jpeg

Here's my rough seating depth test today with the 130gr SMK and Reloader 16.

I've had "custom" barrels that would shoot the occasional 5-shot group over 1 MOA during load development...but I've never had a "custom" barrel do it on 6 consecutive 3-shot groups.

20230716_151250.jpg

Not even worth measuring. Didn't even fire the third shot on the last group...I'll use it as a fouling shot after I scrub the fantastic amount of copper that this barrel accumulates.

After the third group I checked every screw on the rifle and optic. Perfect.

Two days ago it put out a .515 and .646 with factory Hornady ammo...so obviously this is a combo the barrel hates...but this is temperamental.

Oh well.

To those with barrels that hammer: I'm envious.

Here's my rough seating depth test today with the 130gr SMK and Reloader 16.

I've had "custom" barrels that would shoot the occasional 5-shot group over 1 MOA during load development...but I've never had a "custom" barrel do it on 6 consecutive 3-shot groups.

View attachment 8184103

Not even worth measuring. Didn't even fire the third shot on the last group...I'll use it as a fouling shot after I scrub the fantastic amount of copper that this barrel accumulates.

After the third group I checked every screw on the rifle and optic. Perfect.

Two days ago it put out a .515 and .646 with factory Hornady ammo...so obviously this is a combo the barrel hates...but this is temperamental.

Oh well.

To those with barrels that hammer: I'm envious.
    There are three or four of us in this thread shooting 140 elds with approximately 41.5 grains of h4350. Might be worth trying that combo since it seems to work so consistently.

There are three or four of us in this thread shooting 140 elds with approximately 41.5 grains of h4350. Might be worth trying that combo since it seems to work so consistently.

Yeah...there seems to be a lot of guys running that, and liking it. That's close to the factory 140 load, right? You'll have to pardon my lack of CM knowledge as I'm much more heavily invested in the 6.5x47.

Fortunately I'm sitting on 10 lbs of H4350.

Yeah...there seems to be a lot of guys running that, and liking it. That's close to the factory 140 load, right? You'll have to pardon my lack of CM knowledge as I'm much more heavily invested in the 6.5x47.

The few 6.5 CM I’ve loaded for (142 smk), one of which was an AI win tac barrel. Shot very well with Lapua brass and H4350.

Should be close. 41.5 might be a tad hotter than the factory load. 41 - 42 grains of h4350 with a 140 eld has shot well across a half dozen 6.5s for me. I did zero seating depth testing on my AT-X, just tested a couple powder charges.

Everyone produces a lemon now and then. Try a box(maybe you have) of match ammo in 130-140 range. If that doesn't help have AI fix it. They do seem responsive.

Yes it sucks to be one of a few, but that's why we buy from known companies.

Everyone produces a lemon now and then. Try a box(maybe you have) of match ammo in 130-140 range. If that doesn't help have AI fix it. They do seem responsive.

Yes it sucks to be one of a few, but that's why we buy from known companies.

You're right, and I'm certainly not going to sit here and give myself a pity party.

The rifle shot ~2/3 MOA with factory 140 and ~3/4 MOA with 147 ELD-M. It certainly isn't something I'm going to try to cry to CS about.

I've got a 6mm Krieger blank here that I'm about to flip a coin on either Dasher or GT. I'll be taking everything in probably at the end of this week to let the 'smith get measurements in order to start doing AI prefits.

My buddy’s ATX was the same @diggler1833

Seen him load for and shoot a lotta rifles long range.

New barrel, accuracy is on point.

Had a choke by the wrench flats when he slugged it.
    Then cleaned well and shot. Horrible fouling right there when bore scoped after.

My buddy’s ATX was the same @diggler1833

Seen him load for and shoot a lotta rifles long range.

New barrel, accuracy is on point.

Had a choke by the wrench flats when he slugged it.
    Then cleaned well and shot. Horrible fouling right there when bore scoped after.
    The new barrel, off shelf or custom?

I seem to have one that's not cutting it, gen 3 five groove barrel. Number 7725 I believe. I'll post a bit more end of week after another of testing.

I seem to have one that's not cutting it, gen 3 five groove barrel. Number 7725 I believe. I'll post a bit more end of week after another of testing.

Mine is stamped W7732...

I wonder if they are literally 7 apart in serial number, and there was a batch with some issues with fouling?

Spoke with Matt Stewart (Stewart Rifles) this morning. He's going to look at it when I drop mine off on Thursday for measurements and a rebarrel.

Was a new gen 1 Atx. I dumped it after bout 400 rounds. Looked like it was chambered with a file. Brux 28" 25cm and berger 135's solved the issue. As far as accuracy goes...define what you expect. Mine shoots good now with some groups of .2 but realistically it's a .4 or .5 rifle.
    I'm not unhappy with it, but my 8 lb. Hunting rifle will shoot circles around it.
    .02 🤷‍♂️