• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes ATACR 7-35 x 56 F1

Lethallsk

Private
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2019
Miami, Florida
Has anyone had experience with the new Nightforce scope? In particular, it can only be used thus far less than 1000yd. Is the additional ten power an advantage or disadvantage given its power. I used to compete smallbore and silhouette with 40x but that has been a while. Thanks

this scope has been well discussed here. I suggest you check out the search, or just scan this specific forum a bit and you will probably get more info on it then you are looking for. Also what do you mean by this " In particular, it can only be used thus far less than 1000yd." Are you asking if its only suitable for inside 1000 yards? If that is your question the answer would be no, the optics are quality and its got enough elevation to not have an issue reaching out farther on suitable cartridges.

1571357206194.png

What did the owner do wrong?

Bought a NF? The turret wouldn’t turn down far enough to zero on a 20moa Defiance action. Fucked around with the zero stop to no avail. The turret was bottomed out. 19 Mils up from that point.

Bought a NF? The turret wouldn’t turn down far enough to zero on a 20moa Defiance action. Fucked around with the zero stop to no avail. The turret was bottomed out. 19 Mils up from that point.

Too bad he was so poor. I hope he gets better soon.

this scope has been well discussed here. I suggest you check out the search, or just scan this specific forum a bit and you will probably get more info on it then you are looking for. Also what do you mean by this " In particular, it can only be used thus far less than 1000yd." Are you asking if its only suitable for inside 1000 yards? If that is your question the answer would be no, the optics are quality and its got enough elevation to not have an issue reaching out farther on suitable cartridges.
Thanks for taking the time for your reply and advice. In FL the maximum ranges we have are 1000 yards. I have 4 5x25 NF and SB on my Gap so was just interested in using it with the limited yardage.

Something officially seems odd about this now. OP was Lethallsk and then in response to my reply lethal responds and answers my question about the OPs statement as if he is the OP.

Why two userIds?

Something officially seems odd about this now. OP was Lethallsk and then in response to my reply lethal responds and answers my question about the OPs statement as if he is the OP.

Why two userIds?

The fact he called it the “new” Nightforce and his grammar wouldn’t surprise me if the IP’s come back shady.

Has anyone had experience with the new Nightforce scope? In particular, it can only be used thus far less than 1000yd. Is the additional ten power an advantage or disadvantage given its power. I used to compete smallbore and silhouette with 40x but that has been a while. Thanks

To answer your original question

I have one with the MIL-C reticle. It is one of my favorite scopes.
  1. Is the extra 10X usable? It is sometimes when mirage is under control.
  2. I have never had a problem with the scope. It has seen its share of oopsies and just works.
  3. I love the fact that the ZS can be adjusted to whatever you want. I run a multi-caliber rifle so this helps a lot.
  4. They offer a good selection of reticles
  5. Turret legibility and feel are really nice. I think that the Tangent Theta that I played with has the best turrets out there but these are better than the DT or MTC turrets on my S&Bs.
  6. Glass is great....good contrast, good color balance and no CA. I don't make a big deal about glass as it is really subjective
  7. NF customer service is awesome. I have never had to send the scope in for repair but I have had questions and CS was all over it.
  8. Dialing in the Diopter/Parallax is more difficult than on my S&Bs and Khales but NF customer service and the threads here made it a snap.
  9. The ocular rotates as magnification is changed. If you have a scope cover on the ocular, it also rotates which drives some people crazy...LOL
When you consider what you can buy them for relative to MSRP, they are a great optic. Value is awesome.

Last edited:
The fact he called it the “new” Nightforce and his grammar wouldn’t surprise me if the IP’s come back shady.
This is Larry aka Lethal, which is my nickname for decades. I know nothing about IP or whoever. I am not shady nor is it necessary to prove my experience or credibility. If I did not get the question right, I am sorry but first try on this forum.

2. I have never had a problem with the scope. It has seen its share of oopsies and just works.
  3. I love the fact that the ZS can be adjusted to whatever you want. I run a multi-caliber rifle so this helps a lot.
  5. Turret legibility and feel are really nice. I think that the Tangent Theta that I played with has the best turrets out there but these are better than the DT or MTC turrets on my S&Bs.
  6. Glass is great....good contrast, good color balance and no CA. I don't make a big deal about glass as it is really subjective
  7. NF customer service is awesome. I have never had to send the scope in for repair but I have had questions and CS was all over it.
  8. Dialing in the Diopter/Parallax is more difficult than on my S&Bs and Khales but NF customer service and the threads here made it a snap.
  9. The ocular rotates as magnification is changed. If you have a scope cover on the ocular, it also rotate which drives some people crazy...LOL
When you consider what you can buy them for relative to MSRP, they are a great optic. Value is awesome.
Nik, thank you so very much for your detailed answer and not trashing me for the nature of my question. I feel the no. 1 answer is really critical having had the experience with my S&B and NF 25s. Have a great day.

9. The ocular rotates as magnification is changed. If you have a scope cover on the ocular, it also rotate which drives some people crazy...LOL

Previous TT Gen2XR owner here now using a 7-35 MIL-C. I agree with most of your comments but have a couple to add:

1.) I miss the TT turrets. The NF turrets are good, but the TT are great. The tactfulness and audibility are next level.
2.) I miss the TT tool-less zero, but it isn't a deal breaker with being able to set the zero stop where-ever you want on the NF. I run a 6.5CM zero and all other calibers are offset from that.
3.) I have yet been able to take advantage of the NF's 25-35 mag range living in the Southeast.
4.) NF's glass is on par w/ Alpha scopes, although I feel the TT had superior mirage control compared to the NF and this is what I miss the most.
5.) I really dig the MIL-C. I really wanted/needed 0.2 MIL windage subtensions w/ the Gen2XR. If TT ever made a GEN2XR w/ 0.2mil windage sub-tensions it would be my favorite reticle. The Gen2XR is super clean and unobtrusive.
6.) Above x25-27 magnification the CA starts to present itself on the NF. I have tested this in a number of conditions and it always comes out somewhere above x25 and is really apparent at x35.
7.) Points 8-9 I agree
8.) I havn't had to use CS and this scope has not been abused yet.

In summary, the NF 7-35 isnt going anywhere, the prices you can get the for now are awesome, and I would have a hard time paying $1800 more for a TT. I would still like to pick up another TT, later down the road when funds permit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nik H
Just reading this and wondered if this was a test to see if we are paying attention. The 7-35 has 27 mils elevation, so if your boy only got 19 mils, then I’d say he was stuck on a factory ZS setting and didn’t know how too fix that.

Just reading this and wondered if this was a test to see if we are paying attention. The 7-35 has 27 mils elevation, so if your boy only got 19 mils, then I’d say he was stuck on a factory ZS setting and didn’t know how too fix that.

I get 31 mils. The advertised number is a joke at best. I have almost 20 mils left after zeroing with a 20 MOA rail.

Reactions: lash

I moved the large diameter zero stop nub ring clockwise but the turret was bottomed out. It wasn’t that.

We've got a few set up like this... 40 moa rail and 20 moa on the mount = 60 moa total. 100 yard zero and 35.5 mils of total elevation adjustment without bottoming out the turret.
Screenshot_20191018-221850~2.png

No ccw sets the zero stop.

Moving the inner mechanism ccw allows you to recover elevation range in the turret. Once you have zeroed the scope, you move the inner mechanism cw and tighten the screws to set the downward travel to set the ZS

Last edited:
Moving the inner mechanism ccw allows you to recover elevation range in the turret. Once you have zeroed the scope, you move the inner mechanism cw and tighten the screws to set the downward travel to set the ZS

The inner mechanism would only turn a quarter inch total. I turned the lower clutch cw so the turret could turn down more but it could not. It was bottomed out.

This is what the Walmart CS line sounds like. Now I know what the extra $1800 gets you over at TT.

So, not only did I post the video, but here's a step-by-step walkthrough on setting the ZS and zeroing the NF ATACR 7-35:

Loosen set screws on elevation knob
Remove elevation knob
Loosen the set screws on top of the ZS upper clutch
Rotate the upper clutch COUNTER-CLOCKWISE to RAISE the upper clutch
Once the upper clutch is fully raised, tighten down the set screws
Replace the elevation knob and tighten down its set screws
You should be able to freely rotate the elevation down up and down from 0
Zero scope to rifle
Loosen elevation knob set screws again and turn elevation knob to 0 so it lines up with witness mark on the scope body or...
OPTIONAL STEP HERE: You can tighten the set screws on the elevation knob and turn down to your desired position below 0 if you want your zero stop to be set at, say, 4 clicks below 0
Loosen elevation knob set screws yet again and remove the knob
Loosen ZS upper clutch screws
Rotate the upper clutch CLOCKWISE to LOWER the upper clutch until it contacts the lower clutch
Tighten the upper clutch set screws
Replace elevation knob, ensuring 0 lines up with witness mark or wherever you set you zero stop, and tighten set screws

Congratulations! You have just zeroed and set your ZS

Last edited: