• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes ATACR glass worth the $$$ difference over the SS HD 5-20?

Shoalwater

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2013
San Antonio, TX
As the title says, is the ATACR's glass worth the extra grand over the SS HD? I know one is FFP and the other SFP, I don't really care much about that as the gun it will be going on is going to be way to heavy to carry around and hunt with, so yardage will for the most part always be known. My main concern is in the image quality of the glass, this gun will see a lot of work between 500 and 1000 and out to 1500 fairly frequently.

I like the reticles of both scopes, so really just trying to find out if the glass is a lot better in the NF over the SWFA? Those that have experience with both scopes please chime in.

I have a SS HD NIB that I bought for this gun build, but have been looking at the ATACR lately. I ruled out the Razor HD, as I recently got to compare them in person, and I don't think the glass is any better than the SWFA. Are there any other scopes I should be looking at in the $2,300 and under range? Thanks for the help.

Might want to check a rather lengthy thread ATACR vs S&B something or other. If I remember correctly, the ATACR was being held on par with the S&B, glass wise anyway. I'm guessing that the glass will be better on the NF as opposed to the SS. I have an NF F1 that has very much improved glass over the NF NXS's. Hope some other fella's chime in that have maybe looked through or have both.

I posted in the other ATACR thread and will again here. I have both, and had the Razor. Glass is as good on the ATACR as the SS 5-20 but I am not a huge glass only guy. I recently attended a long range sniper course and took both my primary rifle (sporting the ATACR) and my alternate (sporting the SS 5-20) so I was able to do a ton of side by side. now if your question is glass only is the price point worth it I have to say no it is not. Is the overall cost worth it? YES! Here is the deal, after shooting 500+ rounds between the two over three days I can tell you 100% that the NF MOAR reticle is way better then then SWFA. It is just a friendly useable reticle and was effective in distance estimation even though the ATACR is SFP and MOA. The field of view on the ATACR is huge vs. the SS 5-20 and that is a big factor for some. The ATACR is a 5-25 and at 1000 I noticed the 25X was big! In fact after day one I didn't use the SS past 700. The zero stop is a life saver and a "must have" if your shooting anything that will make you dial up and down but I even found it huge moving back from distance to distance. I know the SS turrets are good but the ATACR's are excellent with nice crisp adjustments. Overall my ATACR is the best scope I have owned even though it currently is my only remaining MOA/SFP scope and those two factors are a non issue as far as the quality of the scope. If it were my money and I could have only one it would be the ATACR.

Sully

this... get a razor at that pricetag..

Hard-to-find rings for the 35mm tube, weird color, lower magnification, smaller objective, and INFERIOR glass are just a few reasons i chose the ATACR. FFP is nice n all, but i don't care for the thick reticles of ffp scopes, and I'm decent at math so i can calculate on the fly for wind holds, ranging, etc.

Might want to check a rather lengthy thread ATACR vs S&B something or other. If I remember correctly, the ATACR was being held on par with the S&B, glass wise anyway. I'm guessing that the glass will be better on the NF as opposed to the SS. I have an NF F1 that has very much improved glass over the NF NXS's. Hope some other fella's chime in that have maybe looked through or have both.
is the glass on the f1 better than the regular nxs? i have heard it was, but i could never find a definite answer saying the glass in the f1 was indeed better than the nxs. i have the army spec f1 and i assume it is the same glass as the regular f1. That being said, is the atacr glass the same as in the f1, or is it even better?

The ATACR is just awesome, it's as huge improvement over a lot of the previous NF Scopes, they really stepped up the game.

I am huge FFP guy, but since I started shooting the ATACR it is quickly becoming my favorite scope. Especially for the square range stuff i have been doing with the videos. It's just awesome to work with.

You can get really subjective with glass, no two people will agree on what is better, but I have to say, NF hit a home run with the ATACR. It's definitely better than what you have looked through previously. It's a new scope, and new glass... you can't really compare to to the F1, I think it does a better job

I agree with lowlight. I have nxs scopes and the atacr and quite a difference between the two. It's my favorite scope of all the brands I've had.

is the glass on the f1 better than the regular nxs? i have heard it was, but i could never find a definite answer saying the glass in the f1 was indeed better than the nxs. i have the army spec f1 and i assume it is the same glass as the regular f1. That being said, is the atacr glass the same as in the f1, or is it even better?

I'm gonna' be careful here as I am far from an optics expert. I just know in the 2 examples we have (NXS and an F1) that the F1 has WAY better glass for my 49 year old eyes. For what it's worth they are both are 3.5-15's with the MOA reticles. The NXS is a 56mm obj. and the F1 is the 50mm obj.

I'm gonna' be careful here as I am far from an optics expert. I just know in the 2 examples we have (NXS and an F1) that the F1 has WAY better glass for my 49 year old eyes. For what it's worth they are both are 3.5-15's with the MOA reticles. The NXS is a 56mm obj. and the F1 is the 50mm obj.

For anyone that has an ATACR, can you give me the actual objective bell diameter? I need the exact measurement to determine the rings i need for an XLR hd chassis so i can get them ordered. I want to order the lowest rings that i can get away with since the chassis design already calls for unusually high rings...

Last edited: