• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors ATF takes forever

7.62_Reaper

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2012
holly carp ATF takes sooooo long, sent in my paper work in april and just got it today

Re: ATF takes forever

Thats about right... 6 months seems to be the average across the country.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 317millhand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are lucky. It came back quicker than most. </div></div>

This.

I feel pretty lucky. I just picked mine up and it was less then 5 months

Lucky you. I sent mine in march 15th, and I got my rejection letter yesterday. My SSN was not on the fingerprint card. @&$)?&@!!
frown.gif

the can is great too, it is a AAC 7.62 SDN-6 and it goes on my ar-15 thats chambered in 300 blackout, the damn thing is more quiet than my paintball gun, also it is set up to go on my M40 in .308, soon I'm going to shoot it at around 500 to see how bad it will reduce accuracy being that it is a quick detach hopefully it shouldn't be bad it seems to lock up pretty tight

I'm curious as to what they actually do, and why it takes so long? Is it just a massive stack of paper from people wanting to get suppressors that it takes that long to get to yours?

Once they do grab your app from the stack, what then do they actually do with it, and how long does that portion of the process really take?

I'm about to get my first...finally broke down and decided to do it, even though I hate parting with that much dough and waiting....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TenZero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lucky you. I sent mine in march 15th, and I got my rejection letter yesterday. My SSN was not on the fingerprint card. @&$)?&@!!
frown.gif
</div></div>

Did they reject it? Or send you a correction letter?

The general consensus is that you are within a coupe of weeks of getting your paperwork if they ask you to correct something.

I just received a correction letter last week for a missing "Certification of Compliance" form. Luckily I called the Examiner and she let me fax it back.
Faxing is probably not going to help on a fingerprint card though.

The new examiner assistants are supposed to be helping but I think they are hindering the examiners from being as productive as they could be. Give them a stamp and let them help approve not check the trusts over and over. They send out more correction letters then approved forms a day.

ATF has always had trouble with back logged paperwork. It has been more prominent lately due to the huge increase in public awareness of NFA and huge increases in NFA ownership. NFA branch had a hiring freeze so they have way fewer examiners than they need.

The whole process being manual, and only have 10 examiners approving forms does not help. In a way we are our own worst enemies. Error letters slow the process down for everyone, and I have on good authority that the error letter percentage is between 25-40%.

Suppressors are just becoming more and more popular too. The internet has done a lot for educating people on all this stuff.

No shit!

My paperwork journey has a start date at the BATFE on 09 FEB 12 and I am still waiting!! WTF?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jetmd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No shit!

My paperwork journey has a start date at the BATFE on 09 FEB 12 and I am still waiting!! WTF? </div></div>

Keep waiting.

Right now Form 3s are taking us about 30 days to get back. Form 4s are in the 5-6 month range. According to ATF, they are hiring additional help and the wait time will reduced "significantly". I'm not holding my breath.

my previous 2 form 4's took about 4 months, I'm 9 weeks in on a form 1 and sending in another form 4 next week. from everyone I talk to, its taking 6 months.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Davis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right now Form 3s are taking us about 30 days to get back. Form 4s are in the 5-6 month range. According to ATF, they are hiring additional help and the wait time will reduced "significantly". I'm not holding my breath. </div></div>

They did this months ago....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

They did this months ago.... </div></div>

yep, and still no changes in down time.

As long the tax is 200 bucks I don't care if its 6 months or a year, make the tax in todays dollars(20 Grand), well thats a whole differnt ordeal.

I sent mine in 2 weeks ago. They cashed the check last week so I know they got it. Hopefully it will be closer to 5 months than 6. Tick-Tock....

NFA has never been a game for impatient people. Some years back it was not uncommon to go a year before getting your forms back. Before the Obama scare it wasn't bad, I was sub-4 months on a number of forms IIRC, and my dealer was seeing Form 3s turned around in 24 hours sometimes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

They did this months ago.... </div></div>

yep, and still no changes in down time. </div></div>

Actually, they have sped up by 1.5 months for us here.
smile.gif

It is my understanding that the NFA branch is also working on homelang security tasks as well as their "normalk" duties. Thisa could explain the longer than six month waiting time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Davis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right now Form 3s are taking us about 30 days to get back. Form 4s are in the 5-6 month range. According to ATF, they are hiring additional help and the wait time will reduced "significantly". I'm not holding my breath. </div></div>

Last year my dealers form 3 for two of my supressors took a week and 7 months for my form 4. I ordered a suppressor over two months ago and I am still waiting for the form 3 to clear so I can just send in my form 4 paper work! It's getting absolutely rediculous! I'm starting to order supressors knowing it will basically be a year before I get them!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Conqueror</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ATF has always had trouble with back logged paperwork. It has been more prominent lately due to the huge increase in public awareness of NFA and huge increases in NFA ownership. NFA branch had a hiring freeze so they have way fewer examiners than they need. </div></div>

You'd think the revenue generated from the extortion fees would open up some extra examiner jobs.

All that money goes to the general fund not to the NFA...