• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ATF "Virtual Training", anyone else here log into this?

Wannashootit

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 3, 2010
    FL
    So I tuned in this afternoon, and got near zero clarification on the stuff that affects me.
    I'm not going to take in PMF's, so I couldn't care less about that part of the legislation- even so, that's the least ambiguous to me- but seems to be the main focus of the discussion. However, there seems to be much more that's completely unrelated to the 80%/PMF focus.

"Marking requirements" is where I'm still lost.

As an 07 smith:

If a customer sends me a serialized receiver (say for a bolt gun- Defiance, for example; but could also be an AR lower), and I rebarrel it- do I now need to add another S/N to this? Currently, I engrave the barrel (name, location, caliber) only. In this same example- would it make a difference if I purchased the receiver insofar as additional serialization (currently, it would be included in AMFER).

Cerakoting:
    The presenters bumbled through these questions and didn't seem to know the answers.
    Still confusing as to whether an 01 or 07 is needed, but since I have the 07 I'm covered either way- but I got the impression that in some circumstances, serialization could be required? If so, under what circumstances?

Guess what I'm looking for is real clarification on the scenarios under which an additional serial number would need to be added to a frame or receiver that has already been serialized- if any?

I couldn't even get in. After spending some 20 minutes installing their crap software, I got a message that there were too many attendees. I also tried their "browser" login but it required a password I was not provided. I sent them an email about it, and all I got was a canned, general purpose "FAQ"-type response. Sounds like I didn't miss much.

To answer your question, I don't believe an additional serial number is ever required, under any circumstances. BATF always wants you to utilize the existing serial number.

Last edited:
    I didn't get into today's presentations, but I am about 99.99% that the ATF addressed both of these issues previously:

- We do not add our own serial # when manufacturing or making a firearm from a serialized receiver. The only time serial numbers are to be added or changed to an existing firearm would be during importation if the existing markings don't meet requirements.

- Changes that are cosmetic only and do not affect function (such as refinishing) do not constitute "manufacturing" and thus would not require marking of any type. Changes that do affect function *may* be considered manufacturing and thus *may* require marking.

I don't recall the ruling #'s for the above, but maybe I'll pull them up later. Obviously, the ATF can do a 180 on any ruling whenever it wants.

And as always, your IOI is the guy with the final word, not some newbie chump like myself.

And as always, your IOI is the guy with the final word, not some newbie chump like myself.
    Ironically...
    One of the agents doing the presentation was Mike Knapp- the IOI that did my premises inspection 7+ years ago.
    Guess he got promoted :LOL: