• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Athlon Ares 4.5-27 FFP vs Gen 2 PST 5-25 Honest Review

6.5-Shooter

Private
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2017
I just received my Athlon Ares, It comes pretty bare bones, no lens covers no sun shade just a cloth, battery and an Allen key.

The first test I did was at night. I put both the scopes on 20 power to try and make it apples to apples.

The PST won hands down I was looking a a street lamp about 100yards away and the PST was able to see the dimples on the glass, The Ares was not.

I did the same test in the daytime with the same results. Except the PST had much more contrast in colors, while the Ares looked washed out and dull.

I also noticed the eye box on the PST was bigger and showed a larger field of view.

The turrets and Illum reticle knobs on the PST have a much more positive click and are slightly bigger. The numbering on the PST is smaller which I don't mind, but someone with reading issues might.

I haven't been able to check the tracking yet, but I assume the Ares tracks just as well as the PST

All in All, I don't know if I received a dud of an Ares but for $80 more I would recommend the PST hands down. Plus it comes with a sunshade which is nice!

Just my .02

Thanks for the post. I think the PST2 is a fantastic value in its price range. The Ares I believe is made in China (please correct me if I'm wrong) and the PST2 is made in Phillipines, so there is probably an overall build quality improvement as well.

I just received my Athlon Ares, It comes pretty bare bones, no lens covers no sun shade just a cloth, battery and an Allen key.

The first test I did was at night. I put both the scopes on 20 power to try and make it apples to apples.

The PST won hands down I was looking a a street lamp about 100yards away and the PST was able to see the dimples on the glass, The Ares was not.

I did the same test in the daytime with the same results. Except the PST had much more contrast in colors, while the Ares looked washed out and dull.

I also noticed the eye box on the PST was bigger and showed a larger field of view.

The turrets and Illum reticle knobs on the PST have a much more positive click and are slightly bigger. The numbering on the PST is smaller which I don't mind, but someone with reading issues might.

I haven't been able to check the tracking yet, but I assume the Ares tracks just as well as the PST

All in All, I don't know if I received a dud of an Ares but for $80 more I would recommend the PST hands down. Plus it comes with a sunshade which is nice!

Just my .02

I'd agree with you on everything you said(I own both). I think you can tell the second you pick them up and look through them, even in the store. Except one thing, the price. I was able to find the g2 PST for 1k w/erb-2c & Ares for $750. Nothing bad to say about either scope yet. If I do find some things to complain about, they will be small. For the price they are outstanding and could be happy with either one if I had not looked through Razor gen 2(own) or S&B(looked through).

I think what you pay for the PST gen 2 over the Ares is a more refined outward appearance and cleaner reticle.

I talked to Athlon today. They asked me to send it back so they can check it out and see if anything is wrong.

Hopefully there is an issue with the glass and the turrets. If not Im going to go buy the Gen 2 PST FFP

OP, did you ever get your Ares back from Athlon? If so, what was the result?

I'm with TTT, I'd like to know if you've received one back and how it compared. I've really been thinking about purchasing an ares for my .308 hunting rifle. Mainly cause it would allow me to hunt with a low initial magnification, but plink some targets at longer ranges if I chose to do so.
Thanks for the info.

Athlon CS is pretty good in my experience. But....the best CS is one you never need to use.

I had an Athlon Midas BTR 4.5-27x50 sent to me to check out and run through it's paces. I was less than impressed, as it did not track and would not return to zero. I sent it back to Athlon, and got a brand new one in the mail about 10 days later. Which I promptly sent back to the gunsmith who shipped it to me without even opening it. No word on how that one worked.

I have shot behind other Athlon scopes, a few of the higher end versions. A Cronus, a couple Cronus BTRs, and a couple Ares BTRs. I actually own an Ares BTR on a loaner rifle.