• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Athlon Ares?

Wags

Private
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2019
So I know Absolutely nothing about Athlon scopes but for those that do is the Ares a decent scope for a hunting rifle that'll see range time out to 500 yards?

Any help is appreciated.

I'm not married to either. I've always used 2nd FP but am no opposed to trying a 1st FP.

FWIW - I bought a Ares ETR 4.5-30x56 for my Vudoo last year, I just bought another for a new rifle. Good glass, great contrast, solid turrets, no complaints.

Reactions: Wags
So I know Absolutely nothing about Athlon scopes but for those that do is the Ares a decent scope for a hunting rifle that'll see range time out to 500 yards?

Any help is appreciated.
I'm thinking the 2.5-15 for hunting would be a better way to go than the stronger power and narrower FOV
He did ask about Ares ;)

But - If he's only hunting once or twice a year and going to the range numerous times, there's a trade off to be made. The Ares I just bought replaced a Leupold VX3 4.5-15x50 I've had on a varmint rifle over 20 years..... because it was literally worthless shooting paper at 200yds at the range. Aim small hit small! :)

i-xmpRFQt-M.jpg

I liked mine. The glass is good, the turrets tracked good. I just could not focus on the floating dot reticle. It was not useful to me until 20+ power. For the same money as a new Ares ETR you can find a used Cronus BTR in the PX if you have some patience. The floating dot Ares ETR is MILS. They make a floating crosshair Ares ETR in MOA.

I liked mine. The glass is good, the turrets tracked good. I just could not focus on the floating dot reticle. It was not useful to me until 20+ power. For the same money as a new Ares ETR you can find a used Cronus BTR in the PX if you have some patience. The floating dot Ares ETR is MILS. They make a floating crosshair Ares ETR in MOA.
Both my ETR's are MOA with the +, that tiny floating dot would be difficult at lower magnification.

I have read about people not worrying about the floating dot because you are always holding off for wind. How do you hold off when zeroing your rifle or there is no wind. I picked up a used Cronus BTR with the floating crosshair. I like it so much, my Ares ETR just went down the road. Another Cronus BTR is on the way.

Are these the same except for the 34mm tube of the ETR?

I personally love the floating dot reticle and don’t ever see myself going back to conventional crosshairs in the center

Reactions: Rogue3010
He did ask about Ares ;)

But - If he's only hunting once or twice a year and going to the range numerous times, there's a trade off to be made. The Ares I just bought replaced a Leupold VX3 4.5-15x50 I've had on a varmint rifle over 20 years..... because it was literally worthless shooting paper at 200yds at the range. Aim small hit small! :)

i-xmpRFQt-M.jpg

Good shooting Tex.

I hunt 3 states on average for deer and antelope. I'm building a rifle to hunt Wyoming and Colorado deer with and need something that I can take out to 500 comfortably if the conditions allowed.

I was originally looking at a NF SHV but stumbled across the Athelon's and got intrigued.

I appreciate all the responses and heads up on the product.

Reactions: Sieg
If you want to stay SFP I’d look at the Athlon Midas BTR Gen 2

If you want to try FFP I really like my Midas TAC’s...if you went this model I’d be probably grab the 4-16 power model, as it is plenty of magnification for 500 yards

Reactions: gnochi
Does theAthlon BTR share the same quality glass as the ETR? How does the tracking compare?

Tracking has been spot on on both my ETR and BTR.

Glass wise, they're fine on bright days. But ETR definitely is nicer at higher magnification and on dim/shady days. My BTR had trouble spotting a small target in the shade, but ETR had no issues.

BTR is still pretty good quality glass. In the same bucket as Burris XTR II, and Vortex PST II

If your interested in the ares etr I have one in the Px lol to be honest I think the glass is just as clear as my vortex rzr. I do like the dials alot better on the ares definitely no mistaking the click adjustments. Also the floating dot is small but I find it way more precise then the big bold cross on the cronus. Aim small miss small.

Reactions: Backcountryguy