• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Athlon Argos BTR (AMR FFP IR MIL) (basic review)

3-0-hate

Captain Nimcompoop
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2011
Lost in Idaho...
I picked one of these up from my LGS and I have to say, for the money, it really is a decent piece of kit. Its no competitor in the $1500 scope market, but its quite decent. And having an FFP in something that cost me $350 is pretty nice. I bought the scope to put on my Ruger Predator in 6creedmoor, and its a pretty solid combo for a budget trainer rifle (building it for the fiancee to learn on)

I do have to say though that the illumination is pretty sub-standard. Way too much red bloom glow throughout the reticle to be really usable. The tactile feedback on the turrets is actually really, really excellent though. It takes a bit of force to move them, and they click with authority. No gripes there. It also seems to track quite well, and has been pretty consistent so far. The glass is decent for the money. Its about what you would expect a $350 scope to look like, but its completely serviceable. Im able to see enough detail out to and beyond 600 yards, that it shouldn't cause any issues.

So far, I would say this scope is good to go for a trainer rifle, budget build or .22 NRL stick. Im happy enough with it, that I might even use this rifle to whack a deer this year.

28480196168_bede4dfffe_h.jpg

42305084342_c51ff6d90d_h.jpg

Not the best representation of the clarity, the scope is focused to my eye and apparently the camera focused on the reticle. lol
41630818474_5683f0644a_h.jpg

This looks like a good option on my .223 Bolt gun. When I am prairie doggin’ I only use holds....

I am presently a Vortex Whore looking at Athlon scopes to fill the "inexpensive" optic niche'.

Super thanks for your review.

VooDoo

Went shooting with it again and "ran the box". It tracked and returned to zero perfectly. I'm satisfied with my budget purchase.

My only issue is it seems to use the same body and optical range as the falcon menace. I had one of them once, and while it was ok for a long run, the tracking did eventually shit the bed. At least athlon has a lifetime, no BS warranty.

I own two in mil/mil have also had very good results with tracking and return to zero out to 1000 yards although I have less than 1000 rounds on each they are definetly good bang for buck

I bought this same scope and use it on my CZ455 22LR trainer at distances up to 225 yards. It was my learning entry to FFP and hold over mill reticles. I feel it is a good purchase for the money and had no problems with tracking either. This was my first experience with a FFP scope and this type reticle.

The only negative issue I have experienced was my fault. On several occasions when I needed to hold over 2 or 2.5 mills, I was thrown off by the windage number "2" (lying below the horizontal line) which lines up with the 1 mill line for elevation. But that is my error. When I am hitting low at distant targets, I usually find I am not paying close enough attention to my hold over grid lines.

Yeah, I'd like to see wind line numbers put above the horizontal cross hair.

I have to say that these new turrets on the latest Argos BTR are at a whole nother level, even better than my SWFA 3-15!!!
I ordered 2 more.

Reactions: Jhayesvw
I just picked up a second Argos (bought my first the week they were released a few years ago).
The new turrets are great.
I too wish the windage numbers were above the horizontal crosshair.

I bought my latest for my NRL22 rifle.

This looks like a good option on my .223 Bolt gun. When I am prairie doggin’ I only use holds....

When I'm prairie doggin' it, I run biting my lip......lol

SVTHUH, thanks for the review, I have been curious about Athalon and have never been behind one. I definitely have a 2017 Expo sport though, no svt, but I'm not behind anything in that

Reactions: Bender
I picked one of these up from my LGS and I have to say, for the money, it really is a decent piece of kit. Its no competitor in the $1500 scope market, but its quite decent. And having an FFP in something that cost me $350 is pretty nice. I bought the scope to put on my Ruger Predator in 6creedmoor, and its a pretty solid combo for a budget trainer rifle (building it for the fiancee to learn on)

I do have to say though that the illumination is pretty sub-standard. Way too much red bloom glow throughout the reticle to be really usable. The tactile feedback on the turrets is actually really, really excellent though. It takes a bit of force to move them, and they click with authority. No gripes there. It also seems to track quite well, and has been pretty consistent so far. The glass is decent for the money. Its about what you would expect a $350 scope to look like, but its completely serviceable. Im able to see enough detail out to and beyond 600 yards, that it shouldn't cause any issues.

So far, I would say this scope is good to go for a trainer rifle, budget build or .22 NRL stick. Im happy enough with it, that I might even use this rifle to whack a deer this year.

28480196168_bede4dfffe_h.jpg

42305084342_c51ff6d90d_h.jpg

Not the best representation of the clarity, the scope is focused to my eye and apparently the camera focused on the reticle. lol
41630818474_5683f0644a_h.jpg
Your muzzle brake looks real nice on that rifle. I like it.

Reactions: 3-0-hate
Your muzzle brake looks real nice on that rifle. I like it.

Thanks Dustin. Its a bit overkill on the 6 creed, but even with the crappy, light stock, the gun just doesn't move a bit. That brake anchors it quite well.

Also, shout-out to you guys at Athlon! I called about the "zero-stop" shims for the Argos today, and you guys rocked it, offering to send me some. I appreciate the good customer service effort you guys are putting forth. It might just sway me to buy another Athlon or two when the time comes!