• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Athlon Argos BTR gen2 1-8x

gcoy19

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2010
Alberta, Canada
I’m in the market for a low cost lpvo and found the Athlon Argos BTR gen2 1-8x24. For an optic with these specs in the $300 range it seems pretty good but wouldn’t mind getting some feedback from anyone who has one. Thoughts?

Gotta say, I think I'd rather have something from Burris, bushnell, or vortex in that range. I had an argos 6-24 and wasnt impressed

Gotta say, I think I'd rather have something from Burris, bushnell, or vortex in that range. I had an argos 6-24 and wasnt impressed
The Burris and Vortex options are still a possibility but I’m interested how the Athlon compares. I already have a Bushnell 1-4x, which is mediocre, and I like the idea of 1-8x so it’s pretty much down to the Vortex or Athlon.

My wife and I use to run vortex and NF on just about everything until we were introduced to the Athlon line of glass. They might not feel as nice as NF, but they are consistent, great glass quality and are a fraction of the price! We have tried almost all of the different Athlon scopes and configurations. We are fans. I'm not saying they are better than nightforce, but they are on par with plenty of other scopes for a fraction of the cost. Of course, this is all my opinion.

I have Bushnell Engage on a Mark II .204 Ruger which I like a lot more than the Ares BTR it replaced

I am an Athlon Whore for Life having purchased an Athlon Argos BTR 10-40X56. The only way I could get a comparable scope would be to spend 3X the money.

VooDoo

I have the Ares BTR and I must say I'm not that impressed with the product

I have some Ares and Cronus Athlon scopes/binos now and they’re great which is why I figured it would be worth a look. I’m mostly interested in specifics on the 1-8x btr gen2 version only. Things like holding zero, how the reticle is etc. I’ve seen the diagrams but I’d like to know if it’s too thick/thin, is the Illum daylight bright? Any durability issues. That sorta thing.