• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Athlon argos

Dildobaggins

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jun 26, 2020
    Not the best I understand this. I plan on putting an athlon argos btr gen 2, on a AR chambered in 223 I have for load development. Longest shots I'm going to be taking are 400 yards max. 99 percent will be at 100 and 200 yards. My question is about the reticle and magnification. At max magnification how thick is the reticle? I want to shoot at 1/2 circles? I want an athlon midas tac or ares, but can't afford it right now.
    Thanks!

Tell up about your AR ?.
    "Load development" This is what I'll base my comments on; ? Some of the sellers of the scope you are looking at show the reticles at a low setting and a Max. setting OK, I'll relate how I go about load development.You've herd the saying " Aim small , miss small" ? so, 1/2 " circles ? Any other lines ?
    What I do is use a magic marker and put a cross {+} on the paper. Rearguards of the power you get you can use the + on the paper and your cross hairs to make sure both are lined up perfect when you fire a round.
    The online scope sellers I've looked at usually show the reticles at a low power and at max power. The trouble is that they don't have a background to show how both powers look.

Reactions: Dildobaggins
    an athlon argos btr gen 2 will do fine. I have the gen 1 on a 22lr bolt gun, i use it for 100 yard shooting. I can see the .22 holes on paper, even in very poor light conditions. Save the $ to buy ammo and improve you shooting.

Tell up about your AR ?.
    "Load development" This is what I'll base my comments on; ? Some of the sellers of the scope you are looking at show the reticles at a low setting and a Max. setting OK, I'll relate how I go about load development.You've herd the saying " Aim small , miss small" ? so, 1/2 " circles ? Any other lines ?
    What I do is use a magic marker and put a cross {+} on the paper. Rearguards of the power you get you can use the + on the paper and your cross hairs to make sure both are lined up perfect when you fire a round.
    The online scope sellers I've looked at usually show the reticles at a low power and at max power. The trouble is that they don't have a background to show how both powers look.
    My apologies I meant 1/2 circle targets. I do the same with my paper now with the permanent marker. The AR is nothing special. Its got a 20 inch WOA varmint barrel on it, and im going to get a trigger tech trigger for it this week. That's what I'm seeing as well with the minimum magnification. I'd like to go hold one, but no one around me sells them. Just wondering if those cross hairs are going to be too big for a 1/2 Target

an athlon argos btr gen 2 will do fine. I have the gen 1 on a 22lr bolt gun, i use it for 100 yard shooting. I can see the .22 holes on paper, even in very poor light conditions. Save the $ to buy ammo and improve you shooting.
    Good to hear! I also saw an athlon argos btr gen 2 SFP with the same reticle as the midas tac for about$ 379 10x40 power. But idk about the 40x haha

I own an argos btr gen2 6x24x50 . I would be more concerned with the glass clarity than the reticle . for not much more money you can get a gen2 vortex viper pst2 which has much better glass . euro optic has them on close out .

I own an argos btr gen2 6x24x50 . I would be more concerned with the glass clarity than the reticle . for not much more money you can get a gen2 vortex viper pst2 which has much better glass . euro optic has them on close out .
    The pst gen 2 are going for near 600 or more on euro optics. At that point I'd just get the midas tac with the reticle that I want. I'd like to keep it under $400.

The pst gen 2 are going for near 600 or more on euro optics. At that point I'd just get the midas tac with the reticle that I want. I'd like to keep it under $400.
    If you are just stuck on athlon then buy the Midas I have been behind one and it is a nice optic . As far as the argos goes The gen2 I have was the result of 2 gen 1's that I returned because of parallax and wandering zero issue's . So at least they have a generous return and warranty policy .

I have the Gen 1 and the Gen 2. I like the Gen 2 on the Athlon Argos a bit more, due to it having the factory zero stop for elevation.
    The optics are "good", but certainly not as clear as More Expensive offerings. That said, I have one of them mounted on a 6.5 CM, and have no problem hitting a 400 meter gong which is 6 inches in diameter with repeatability.

All of the Argos models suffer from a very tiny eye-box at magnifications higher than 15. But then, for 400 yards you won't need magnification over 15 for that use. The "box test" on both of my Argos scopes was perfect and reliable. The parallax on both was rock solid. I purchased a snail for one of them, and calibrated it at known distances (factory parallax numbers are off on almost all scopes, especially if you adjust the eyepiece to match your personal preferences on vision). I included my elevation clicks on what was written on the snail. This made shooting easy. I just adjust the parallax until the "head-bob" test is perfect, look at the wheel, adjust elevation for the specified clicks, and send it. I have had no need to re-adjust my scope between trips to the range. But then, I don't bounce my gun around in the bed of a truck. Perhaps with rougher treatment, this would not be the case.

I have the Gen 1 and the Gen 2. I like the Gen 2 on the Athlon Argos a bit more, due to it having the factory zero stop for elevation.
    The optics are "good", but certainly not as clear as More Expensive offerings. That said, I have one of them mounted on a 6.5 CM, and have no problem hitting a 400 meter gong which is 6 inches in diameter with repeatability.

All of the Argos models suffer from a very tiny eye-box at magnifications higher than 15. But then, for 400 yards you won't need magnification over 15 for that use. The "box test" on both of my Argos scopes was perfect and reliable. The parallax on both was rock solid. I purchased a snail for one of them, and calibrated it at known distances (factory parallax numbers are off on almost all scopes, especially if you adjust the eyepiece to match your personal preferences on vision). I included my elevation clicks on what was written on the snail. This made shooting easy. I just adjust the parallax until the "head-bob" test is perfect, look at the wheel, adjust elevation for the specified clicks, and send it. I have had no need to re-adjust my scope between trips to the range. But then, I don't bounce my gun around in the bed of a truck. Perhaps with rougher treatment, this would not be the case.
    All good information! Thanks alot! Merry Christmas

I have said this multiple times - I am not sayin here, I'm just sayin...

Around this time last year I bought myself a Tikka T3X UPR and I absolutely love it. Initially I was looking for a budget optic and settled on an Athlon Argos BTR 6-20x50mm - it was actually advertised as a Gen 2 but it was actually a Gen 1 but I didn't really care.

Let me be clear - Athlon puts a ton of features into very low priced optics. So none could complain. I got mine for like $309.99 but saw them for $279 right after. So there is that , they're very well built and have great features and warranty etc.

But I read many posts on here, on Amazon reviews, on Reddit, etc. about people saying they get "blurry" or "hazy" at higher magnification. This is 101% true. as soon as I get above 12ish it is noticeable. And at highest magnification it's obviously hazy.

Which, kind of defeats the purpose of having higher magnification. As I understand it, the Argos series uses their most-basic glass quality in the lenses - certainly to keep the price down. But, you definitely notice it.

I wound up getting pissed and buying an Brownell's MPO 5-25x56mm which I absolutely love - but it's very unfair to compare because we're talking about a $300 scope vs a $1000 scope designed to compete with $2000 scopes.

So I only say this because if you're going to 400m you're going to most likely be cranking the magnification and it could be something you also experience.

As always, TIFWIW, YMMV.