• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Athlon Cronus and Cronus BTR Parallax Generational Differences

Rocket6R

Private
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2006
Peoria, AZ.
Hello everyone!

I purchased a new Cronus, not the BTR model, about a week ago. Upon inspection of the scope I noticed the parallax adjustment range went to 1,000 prior to the infinity symbol. I thought that was rather odd since every Cronus I had seen pictures of list 250 prior to the infinity symbol. Anyway, I decided to contact Athlon this morning and inquire about this.

When I contacted Athlon I spoke to Mark. Mark was really helpful and seemed to take a genuine concern regarding my question about the yardage markings on the parallax turret. Mark didn't have an immediate answer to my question on why the differences in the yardage markers, but he said he would look into it and get back to me. He called me back within 15 minutes with some answers.

As far as the parallax turret goes on the Cronus and Cronus BTR, they are as follows.

Cronus
First generation: max is 250 prior to the infinity symbol
Second generation (redesigned): max is 1,000 prior to the infinity symbol

Cronus BTR
First generation: max is 1,000 prior to the infinity symbol
Second generation (redesigned): max is 1,600 prior to the infinity symbol

*the second generation of the Cronus and the first generation of the Cronus BTR use the same parallax turret.

While I was speaking to Mark I also inquired about the illumination settings. The lowest setting I can see the illumination of the reticle is on the third setting (3) in total or near total darkness (setting levels go from 1-11). Illumination is not visible on the first and second settings. On level 11 the reticle is extremely bright, almost too bright (bleeding/blooming). I was wondering if I had a defective scope in regards to the lack of illumination on the first and second settings. Mark said that was normal, they all do it, and that they are not visible when on the first and second settings. Mark went on to say that this is or probably was an electronics design issue, but it's not a flaw per se and there's nothing wrong with the scope.

I just wanted to share this little bit of information with Athlon Cronus and Cronus BTR owners or those who are considering purchasing one.