• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Athlon Cronus APLR clearance

hunterco

Private
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2006
Portland, OR
Posting this thread to be helpful. This week I went into Cabelas to compare some optics and I don't know if this should be posted here or in the sale thread but I'm not trying to deal-kill on anyone in the sale forum but spread a great deal to those of you interested.

The Cabela's staff members lowered the price on a 4.5-29x56 FFP APLR IR MILrad to $815.88 from $1699.99 moments before I arrived they said. With a Mil discount that put me at $775 for a $1700 dollar scope so I couldn't refuse. I did get a chance to look through the 6-24 Kahles and Burris XTRII 5-25 at the store outside. The Cronus was closer to the Kahles.

Yes, I tried to buy more scopes and tried another Cabelas's on my way home to see if they had any in stock and this was all that I could get.

I contacted Athlon about the O-Ring. They confirmed on the Cabelas batch that the o-ring already upgraded and the Parallax adjustment goes to 1000, however; not 1600 as the new BTR does. With the APRL vs the BTR for the price, I am happy vs the minor changes. The changes in the reticle do not warrant another $800 for me. They only recommended Q-tip cleaning the turret and using an o-ring friendly green slime if I did not like the mechanical features. To me, it's fine and solid - I have a solution if I need it. Athlon also confirmed that this pricing is way below they can make them for, which to me means there may have been a markdown error. They also said they were all going to sell the Cabelas APLR Cronus for $999 very soon, which is still an awesome buy.

Quickly glassing the Cronus against a 3-10x44 Sightron SIII and Burris XTRII 4-20x50, the Cronus is superb. The Cronus does have the largest objective, and at the same power ranges the resolution and color were amazing and I thought the XTRII and Sightron were very good.

The purpose of this post was to inform interested persons in a clearance deal potentially available to you in your market. If this is helpful, see if your local Cabela's has this deal. I called around and they said a Kiosk has to price match this and it must be in stock. I tried to post pics of the clearance tags but they are too large to attach.

See if this link works
https://photos.app.goo.gl/IfUVcMM5pS6E6VQG3

Last edited:
Reactions: VDVSNIPER
Appreciate the heads up. I’ll keep an eye out. I called ours today and they said they are full price.

Got the 2 pics, looking good! Will try tomorrow at the local store. Hope it works! Thanks once again!

Got the 2 pics, looking good! Will try tomorrow at the local store. Hope it works! Thanks once again!
Please let us know what they say. I can’t get to mine today, maybe tomorrow at the earliest.

Why is Athlon saying this is cheaper than they can make them for? I highly doubt it’s an error since Cabelas had them on sale for 999$ for several weeks in Nov. or early December.

Reactions: airborne_trooper
Why is Athlon saying this is cheaper than they can make them for? I highly doubt it’s an error since Cabelas had them on sale for 999$ for several weeks in Nov. or early December.

Look at the model number these are the older Cronus scopes not the new BTR, cabelas was probably clearing their inventory for the new model.

Reactions: hunterco
Look at the model number these are the older Cronus scopes not the new BTR, cabelas was probably clearing their inventory for the new model.

But....the model that the OP was discussing was the original Cronus, not the BTR, so they’ve been offering this pricing for awhile. If the BTR is on sale for 999$, hell, I might grab one.

I can tell you there were no non BTR Cronus scopes for display on the gun racks at the Athlon booth at Shot. If I were to take a guess, the original Cronus is now discontinued, and these you see on clearance are the last of them. How many were left, who knows, hundreds, thousands???

And at least here in Washington, Cabelas will only price match the big retailers and it must be in stock.

I had it on good authority that cabelas and another large something or other got the last of the normal Cronus to clear out.

I assume all that’s left is what’s stuffed in the back of the shelves at individual stores if any.

That said: thanks for the BTR cameraland!

Yes, this is not the BTR it is the pre-BTR APLR. They are discontinued from what Athlon said, still is a great buy. I can live with the older reticle and remove the grease for the money saved.

I found the old listing and they show no longer in stock. https://gun.deals/product/athlon-cronus-ffp-45-29x56-ffp-milmoa-riflescopes-99999

The intent was to share and help anyone who was looking grab one at a good price before they were gone.
But....the model that the OP was discussing was the original Cronus, not the BTR, so they’ve been offering this pricing for awhile. If the BTR is on sale for 999$, hell, I might grab one.

I took my tac rifle hunting all year. It has the first Gen Cronus on it. I was able to see deer in the field well after legal shooting time, glass and light gathering is pretty damn good. It was clearly better than my Zeiss and Bushnell XRS