• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Athlon Cronus gen 1 BTR Glass quality

Michael W

I love this place
Minuteman
  • Feb 17, 2020
    I purchased a 4.5x29 Cronus BTR Gen One about A year ago but was deployed so I couldn't use it until now . When I took it to the range I noticed the glass quality was poor at high magnification 20 plus.. Very milky And washed out. I would expect this for one of their lower end models . But this was not an inexpensive scope.Anyone else having this issue ?

What are you comparing it against. I put my Cronus BTR Gen 1 against a Vortex AMG and they were very close......so much so, that I sold the AMG and bought a 2nd Cronus.

Reactions: Adam B
    I second that. Were you comparing it to a Theta? Milky as in what? The optical quality is quite good for its price. If it is noticeably that bad, you may need to call Athlon.

I was shooting my Schmidt and Bender PM2 And a Vortex razor. I wasn't expecting it to be as good as my S&B But I was thinking it should be comparable to my Razor.
    I'm not saying that The Cronus is a bad scope I'm just curious if mine Has a problem.
    I was at Altus shooting solutions Shooting about 900 yd. I had a beginner shooter with me and and he even Made a comment that the glass was not that clear. One more thing I forgot to mention I bought the scope as a close out at Camera land. It was New and not used or a refurbished unit.
    Not sure if that means anything but the fellas there are really good and I've always had good luck with them.
    20211106_101419.jpg
    20211106_112024.jpg
    20211106_112239.jpg

Last edited:
    If it is a Cronus it should be clear. Send it back to Athlon, they will make it right for you!

Also for clarity the Cronus line is made by LOW in Japan. They know what they’re doing. This particular scope has an issue.

Yeah for sure sounds like a issue with scope. When I had cronus I thought it was better than razor and on par with the atarc. Very good scope clear and bright

I have a first Gen non BTR Cronus and also agree it’s just as good optically as a Razor Gen II and slightly better than the Bushnell HDMR 2.

I was very happy with the glass quality. I shot it side by side with my Razor, and didn't notice any clarity differences. Milky white sounds like a reason to contact their warranty department.

For $1500 bucks my Cronus Gen 1 was a great scope, Bought a Delta stryker and it was a small step above . Then acquired a Atcar and its a huge step above both. Send the Cronus in for factory examination,

I bough my gen 1 cronus for 1000$ at cabelas when they went on closeout. Probably my best purchase for value/$

I thought my Gen 1 Cronus BTR was superior to a Gen 2 BTR other than the new reticle

I've owned several pre-BTR models with the heavier reticle, several of the BTRs with the finer reticle, and a few of the Gen 2s with the new floating dot. Most of these scopes are currently on 22RF repeaters (jelrod converted CMP 40XB, couple of V-22, Rim-X), so their elevation knobs get a good work-out every time I shoot a PRS-style 22RF match with one. Optics & tracking have been very good on every one of them, including a couple of them that I've sold to customers.

I have a Cronus BTR and a Razor Gen ii as well. If i was going to buy another scope today it would be another Cronus BTR. Something is wrong with your scope. Ive never felt that mine had bad glass at any magnification.