• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Athlon Cronus Tactical spotting scope Arca plate

krimet

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2019
I've been using my Athlon Cronus Tactical spotting scope for a while. The one problem I always had was that I could never find an Arca plate that was reliable. No matter what, they always came loose. My last try was the RRS B76 with the anti-rotation flange. Still no dice. Guys... I think I finally found a plate that is going to work. I was looking around for something completely different and a random google image caught my eye. Particularly, the gap in the flange that looked like it was the same width as the bottom of my spotting scope. I ended up sending them an e-mail to get the measurement of that gap. Miraculously it is very close to the width of the mounting section of the spotter. Here it is installed:
IMG_9448.png

Here is where the mounting area fits through the gap in the flange:
IMG_9449.png

I also found that the included screws can lock in the front:
IMG_9450.png

Finally, here's your Amazon link:

I have run it at the range a couple times and it hasn't budged. So far, it seems to be rock solid. I hope this helps out the other Cronus Tactical spotter owners out there.

Nice plate... I've been considering getting the Cronus spotter, didn't know arca plates were that big of an issue.

How do you like the spotter so far? I've only been behind the Leupold MK4 but it's about $500 more than the going price of the Cronus.

I think I was in the same boat as you when I bought it. The MK4 is the standard, but I wondered if it was *that* much better than the Cronus. I luckily found a great deal on the Cronus that forced my hand. The glass is great. Not sure how you intend to use it, but I have had no problem spotting to 1200. Could probably go farther, but that's just the distance that I have available to shoot to. I really like the reticle. It's a good compromise of informative without being bulky. I know that's kind of subjective. So, I will just say that I like (and use) the Nightforce MilXT reticle in several of my scopes.

On the flip side, there are a gazillion accessories for the MK4. To this day, I haven't found a great cover for my scope. It comes with a neoprene cover, but I like the bulkier zip up style. Honestly, the rubber exterior seems pretty durable. So, maybe it's not necessary. I'm thinking about a custom case from Creedmoor Sports. Alternatively, I may just end up ordering a large scope case from Larue (to transport) and testing the durability of the rubber. I also wish that the scope caps had secondary attachments to the body. Meaning it's just the cap. When you take it off, it's a loose cap. It isn't ruining my day, but I feel like a small improvement would make a big change in experience if the caps were bound to the body.

I think if the MK4 had the HD glass that is available in the gold ring, I might consider going that direction. But even then, I would need to see a deal because my Cronus is doing a great job.

Reactions: littlepod
I think I was in the same boat as you when I bought it. The MK4 is the standard, but I wondered if it was *that* much better than the Cronus. I luckily found a great deal on the Cronus that forced my hand. The glass is great. Not sure how you intend to use it, but I have had no problem spotting to 1200. Could probably go farther, but that's just the distance that I have available to shoot to. I really like the reticle. It's a good compromise of informative without being bulky. I know that's kind of subjective. So, I will just say that I like (and use) the Nightforce MilXT reticle in several of my scopes.

On the flip side, there are a gazillion accessories for the MK4. To this day, I haven't found a great cover for my scope. It comes with a neoprene cover, but I like the bulkier zip up style. Honestly, the rubber exterior seems pretty durable. So, maybe it's not necessary. I'm thinking about a custom case from Creedmoor Sports. Alternatively, I may just end up ordering a large scope case from Larue (to transport) and testing the durability of the rubber. I also wish that the scope caps had secondary attachments to the body. Meaning it's just the cap. When you take it off, it's a loose cap. It isn't ruining my day, but I feel like a small improvement would make a big change in experience if the caps were bound to the body.

I think if the MK4 had the HD glass that is available in the gold ring, I might consider going that direction. But even then, I would need to see a deal because my Cronus is doing a great job.

The great thing is Athlon has a no questions asked warranty, so scope caps aren't really necessary given if you get it scratched they'll just replace it.

I'll have to keep an eye out for one on the PX. I've seen a few bundled with a custom case, maybe I'll go that route once I find that deal.

Thanks for the info!

I was hunting in the PX myself. Came across this:

Have you tried/do you use that arca plate in an RRS throw lever (like on an Anvil-30)? I ask because I'm using the RRS plate like you were before but I've had the same issues as you with it always coming loose. I was actually thinking of fabbing up a bracket that would go from the bottom mount point and attach to one of the studs on the side to then attach the plate to using 2 bolts instead of one. Now that I thin about it I should just mill the bottom of the bracket to RRS' dovetail spec, haha.

Reactions: NewsShooter
Yup. In particular I use the SC-LR clamp from RRS. I thought about trying to find someone to custom fab a plate before I found this one. I already knew I wasn't going to like the price of that though. Having the SC-LR, I really wish that the Cronus spotting scope had a picatinny rail option on the bottom like the Bushnell LMSS. I would have clamped that thing via the rail all day.

Yup. In particular I use the SC-LR clamp from RRS. I thought about trying to find someone to custom fab a plate before I found this one. I already knew I wasn't going to like the price of that though. Having the SC-LR, I really wish that the Cronus spotting scope had a picatinny rail option on the bottom like the Bushnell LMSS. I would have clamped that thing via the rail all day.

I honestly think all heavy spotters should be set up like the Bushnell LMSS with the ability to put a long pic rail or arca plate on the bottom using 2 bolts.

Reactions: krimet