• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Athlon ETR?

coyotewillie

Private
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2005
NE
I've got 2 Burris XTR II's, a 3-15 and a 5-25. I know a lot of people don't care for the XTR II's but that's what I started with. I've been thinking about getting something else, apparently I'm doing too much sitting doing nothing. I don't need another scope but what the heck. I've been considering either an Athlon ETR or a Chronos. Seems a lot of people think there's not a lot of difference between the two and since the ETR is slightly cheaper was considering it. Will the ETR be a step up from the XTR or should I go up further to Vortex Razor?

At the price Razor G2s are going for it’s tough to recommend the Cronus. I haven’t been behind an Ares ETR but have heard it punches above its weight but is no Cronus.

Personally I think you’ve got a good long range scope in the 5-25 XTRII and I wouldn’t spend a grand or more for a very incremental upgrade. If you’re looking at spending 4 figures...go directly to Razor.

I've always thought the XTR's were decent for the price I got them for. The 5-25 is my main scope, but some days I just don't think it's really got it. Honestly I don't know any LR shooters in the area so I haven't had the opportunity to look at any GOOD LR scopes. It seems like I read here fairly often that people rate the ETR to be comparable with the Razor in terms of clarity. Considering Athlon's CS and the price difference I was just thinking about giving one a try. A lot of decent used Razor's for sale here too.

My feedback ... I have a new Cronus, A Razor G2 and an Ares BTR (not ETR). First, the Razor is a tank. Turrets lock down and it is heavy and appears very strong. Glass is pretty good. Ergonomics are great. Tracking is great. I just got the Cronus for a Vudoo V22. The glass is phenomenal ... clearly subjective but I like it better than the Razor. For hard use, I think the Razor may be a bit more resilient. The Ares BTR (I have 2) as served me well and is an amazing value. I was torn between the newer ETR and the Cronus for the Vudoo but I went for the superior glass on the Cronus and am glad I did. I really love it. Call Doug ... he will walk you through it like he did me.

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
I've got the BTR too. Helluva scope for the price! The only thing I don't like about it is the tight eyebox, pretty unforgiving eye relief. A lot less eye relief than the XTR's, but now that I've used it a while I'm used to it. And, I do like the Athlon reticles. But everyone says the ETR is heads above the BTR in glass. I always figured my next step up would be the Razor. Not trying to cheap out but if the ETR glass is comparable to the Razor (which a LOT of people here have mentioned) why not save a few bucks. But I'm also curious if anyone has tried the XTR and the ETR side by side and feel the ETR is in fact a step up. Real world so to speak.

Reactions: stilesg57
I've got the BTR too. Helluva scope for the price! The only thing I don't like about it is the tight eyebox, pretty unforgiving eye relief. A lot less eye relief than the XTR's, but now that I've used it a while I'm used to it. And, I do like the Athlon reticles. But everyone says the ETR is heads above the BTR in glass. I always figured my next step up would be the Razor. Not trying to cheap out but if the ETR glass is comparable to the Razor (which a LOT of people here have mentioned) why not save a few bucks. But I'm also curious if anyone has tried the XTR and the ETR side by side and feel the ETR is in fact a step up. Real world so to speak.
I've had both the Razor and ETR. To me the Razor has better glass. I noticed the difference at 200 yards and beyond. Just shooting at 100 not a huge difference.

I think the earlier XTR2's had poorer glass than the newer ones, at least that's what I've gleaned reading here on the Hide?? The ones I've looked through, probably older, didn't suit my eyes.

Honestly I too would go for the Cronus for the glass but the ETR is well above those XTR2's I've briefly looked through. And this is going off of memory by personal impression, not a sidebyside.

I did a sidebyside with my Cronus and my March FX 5-40x56 and the Cronus was right there with it.

Though the ETR sure has a super distinct click feel! Better than in my S&B's and most of the turrets I've come across. The glass is very good too, but S&B just has that pop I like. I certainly don't think a guy would be disappointed with ETR glass. Not fair comparing the two but that's what I have had on hand.

I hada an XTRII, I think my Ares BTR has better glass, eyeglass is tight at max power but not bad at 20X, my cronus has far better glass. than either of them.

I have ETR and Razor gen 2... most people won't outshoot either scope. More of a budget thing with scopes nowadays. Razor was on work gun and ETR on personal. I favor the ETR because I like the reticle. Both have smacked steel at 1250. The eye box is a tad smaller on ETR and it washes out over 25x some. But its rare im ever that high. Usually 16-20 range for most things.

Have all three and cant go wrong. G2 Razor and Cronus would be my choice if funds allow.

I have two ETR's, zero complaints, exceptional glass for the dollar..... IMO.

Reactions: Curt193