• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Athlon FFP Helos BTR G2 2-12x42 in hand!

Depending on how secure you tie it down, ATV’s can beat the crap out of a scope.
The basic front rack gun rack will pretty well insure that a 90’s model Leupold won’t be shooting to the same place it was at the start of deer season.

Leaning your rifle against a tree while you take a leak and letting it fall over on a rock doesn’t do it any favors either.

Granted, I’ve been thinking lately that the 90’s model Leupy bases and rings weren’t anything to write home about .

I’ll try an Athlon 2-12 Helos next go round, but I tend to tie my crap down a lot tighter these days. Scope tighter to the rifle and rifle in a hard case ratchet strapped to the 4 wheeler.

With every company sometimes defective scopes happen. Those of us that have been here for years have seen it. As we pay more money to get into higher tier scopes our hope is we are buying more reliability. Often that strategy works and sometimes it doesn't, like a S&B I had to send back twice, a USO that had the IQ of a Tasco but passed anyway when sent back, a NF that apparently had a stuck erector(it came loose again after dialing all the way up and down a few times), a IOR that broke during a match, a turret that broke off on a SWFA, and weird optical problems in very expensive scopes here and there.
Last year I bought a $2000 retail scope which seems like its a $500 scope in quality. What a disappointment.

All we can do is buy scopes with good warranties and hope we don't have to use them. I know for sure I get more pissed off when a expensive scope breaks or has something off with it. This is part of the reason I stay with more affordable scopes for rifles I deem them equitable too instead of putting expensive glass on them.

The lower end G1 Athlon lines weren't all that great but so far so good with the G2 Helos line on up. Must be over 20 scopes among my friends and I, both G1 and G2, with none breaking, EDIT(oops, sorry, I was reminded of my friends G1 Argos that had something wrong with it which he sent back and was replaced with a G2 under warranty), otherwise only a few small things like side focus was hard to turn and turret lines not lining up and this was on the old G1's.

Last year I set the course record in one type of match called UFT with a Helos G2 6-24 and in a similar scaled down version called FT I got the high score throughout the years a couple times in Unlimited at our State match with a old G1 Argos BTR 6-24.
These weren't treated roughly but always held zero.

I suppose if I were going on a expensive hunting trip I'd go for a expensive scope "just because" but not for a local coyote or deer hunt. The chances are Helos G2 would be fine but on the other hand expensive scopes are not perfect. As I found out the hard way multiple times.

Last edited:
With every company sometimes defective scopes happen. Those of us that have been here for years have seen it. As we pay more money to get into higher tier scopes our hope is we are buying more reliability. Often that strategy works and sometimes it doesn't, like a S&B I had to send back twice, a USO that had the IQ of a Tasco but passed anyway when sent back, a NF that apparently had a stuck erector(it came loose again after dialing all the way up and down a few times), a IOR that broke during a match, a turret that broke off on a SWFA, and weird optical problems in very expensive scopes here and there.
This year I bought a $2000 retail scope which seems like its a $500 scope in quality. What a dissapointment.

All we can do is buy scopes with good warranties and hope we don't have to use them. I know for sure I get more pissed off when a expensive scope breaks or has something off with it. This is part of the reason I stay with more affordable scopes for rifles I deem them equitable too instead of putting expensive glass on them.

The lower end G1 Athlon lines weren't all that great but so far so good with the G2 Helos line on up. Must be over 20 scopes among my friends and I, both G1 and G2, with none breaking, only a few small things like side focus was hard to turn and turret lines not lining up and this was on the old G1's.

Last year I set the course record in one type of match called UFT with a Helos G2 6-24 and in a similar scaled down version called FT I got the high score throughout the years a couple times in Unlimited at our State match with a old G1 Argos BTR 6-24.
These weren't treated roughly but always held zero.

I suppose if I were going on a expensive hunting trip I'd go for a expensive scope "just because" but not for a local coyote or deer hunt. The chances are Helos G2 would be fine but on the other hand expensive scopes are not perfect. As I found out the hard way multiple times.
Long time viewer, though this is my first post. I gotta say I value posts like this because they come from a place of a lot of experience and use with the product being discussed, as well as data points from years previously to reference from.

Last edited:
Reactions: steve123