• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Athlon Midas Tac - High Value Glass

JCIII

Private
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2019
I purchased a new Vudoo VG22 for Christmas and have been relegated until now to a 8-32 Mueller target dot. Not a bad scope for dirt cheap, but not what I was looking for as it's permanent glass. After shooting a few friends rifles, one had an Athlon Midas Tac I was very impressed with. Though I only spent about 30 minutes with it, I was convinced I needed one. Bought one a few weeks ago for $620 shipped, and finally had some time and winds under 25mph to get it set up on the Vudoo.

IMO, this is the best sub $1K scope out there. APRS3 Reticle is outstanding (especially the floating center dot), mil movement is a swiss watch and seemingly without error so far, glass is surprising for the price, convenient zero stop, and lifetime warranty is icing on the cheesecake. Highly recommend, it as an excellent value. While it's definitely not an S&B, a Kahles, or Swarovski, it's remarkably close for 20-30% of that buy in. I won't discuss how the Ares ETR I shot was as good or better than those "premier" glass :rolleyes:, cuz this is about the Midas Tac.

I shot back and forth at 50, 90, 115, 135, 145, 160 and 175 with my kestrel, randomly between distances and it was perfect every shot (shooter error not withstanding ;)). Can't say enough good about this scope for the value, just don't think it can be beat until you double the budget.

IMG_4695.jpg

IMG_4698.jpg

IMG_4697.jpg

IMG_4696.jpg

I have one on my Kidd Supergrade and for the money it’s top notch. Tracks perfectly. The glass is better than my Burris XTR II

I have sent two back that have given me headaches. Need to do a tall target test on my latest as I believe it has a canted reticle. Honestly for the price in ammo Iv spent diagnosing problems I wish I wish would have spent the money on something with more of a track record.
Athlon was good to work with and the scope has some nice features, and is fairly solid feeling. We will see but I don’t have high hopes as of now.

Reactions: Sc0-
Man, hate to hear that. I was skeptical it would track at this price point but I ran 150 rounds through it this afternoon and .1Mil increments were spot on all afternoon through up and down and up and down etc. Course, I wasn't shooting 1Kyds+, but was very pleased for this price. Hope you get your issues fixed.

I have sent two back that have given me headaches. Need to do a tall target test on my latest as I believe it has a canted reticle. Honestly for the price in ammo Iv spent diagnosing problems I wish I wish would have spent the money on something with more of a track record.
Athlon was good to work with and the scope has some nice features, and is fairly solid feeling. We will see but I don’t have high hopes as of now.
That's very surprising. I've had a few and they were super solid performers. Most people rave about them.

Watch those vertically split rings, can cause issues.

Agreed, on rifles with appreciable recoil I think there are better options. But on a .22lr, and it didn't hurt I had a spare set of these Warne low's, I certainly could have spent more but don't think I could have been able to tell the difference in this application.

Agreed, on rifles with appreciable recoil I think there are better options. But on a .22lr, and it didn't hurt I had a spare set of these Warne low's, I certainly could have spent more but don't think I could have been able to tell the difference in this application.
They can bind up the erector. Just make sure it all works fine.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
I have two of these, have been extremely happy with them. I have one on a 6.5 RPR (in Seekins rings), I've had it out to 1200yrds and everything in between. I was so impressed with it, I got a second one (in NF rings) to put on a 223 trainer that I recently built. Haven't had a single problem with either. They both track perfectly, the zero stop is simple, and the APRS3 reticle is excellent.. I would absolutely buy again, lol...

love the 6-24 i have on my CZ457. haven't had any issues yet (knock on wood). i can't compare glass because i don't have the money for really nice glass and i refuse to look through it to get spoiled. i dial everything in matches (i know not the smartest plan) and have no issues with return to zero. its tracked well for me also. i haven't done any specific testing other than a box test at 50 yards and it passed. i love the clicks on the turrets as well.

i like it so much i'm looking at getting the 5-25 with the 34mm tube since i need more elevation the further i stretch the out the 22lr.

Reactions: JKW70
MDrimfirerookie, are you still having issues with a 30mm tube and 30moa rail? How far are you shooting? With the Midas Tac at 80moa total adjustment and a 30moa rail we should be able to dial out to 400yards with standard velocity ammo. While I don't have a spot to target practice that far, my shots to 200 and current data show that should be on and I should be able to extend that to roughly 500 with HV ammo. In theory anyway.

Yes, the higher end glass will spoil you, but it will also make you appreciate just how good a value you can get if you don't want to or can't afford the top shelf. Just my opinion...

I was wondering how the glass compares to the xtrii. I have been thinking about ditching the xtrii I thought about going with the Midas tac 5-25. Do you guys think this would be an upgrade? Or just keep my xtrii?

I didn't care for the glass in my XTRII, loved the reticle and turrets. I currently have two Cronus and an Ares BTR.

Reactions: Codiekfx400
I've only looked through the xtrii 5-25x50 at a lgs so I couldn't give you a real use comparison. However, for the $1200 going price, I couldn't imagine not buying the Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30x56 which I have spent some time shooting with and think you need to spend double that to really beat it. That will be the scope for my next build.

Reactions: NewsShooter
MDrimfirerookie, are you still having issues with a 30mm tube and 30moa rail? How far are you shooting? With the Midas Tac at 80moa total adjustment and a 30moa rail we should be able to dial out to 400yards with standard velocity ammo. While I don't have a spot to target practice that far, my shots to 200 and current data show that should be on and I should be able to extend that to roughly 500 with HV ammo. In theory anyway.

Yes, the higher end glass will spoil you, but it will also make you appreciate just how good a value you can get if you don't want to or can't afford the top shelf. Just my opinion...

i'm not sure exactly. i know last season with eley force, a 50 yard zero and 30 MOA base, i was able to get to 400 but had to hold over for longer distances. i'm not sure where i am going to be. i just got a bartlein barrel and will be switching ammo. anticipating about the same but i am an elevation whore and also want to start shooting more 22 ELR and see just how far i can stretch it.

once i get everything set up and tested, hopefully this week, i'll have a better idea of my needs

I've got 6-24x50 Midas TACs on a couple of Howa Mini custom builds in 22 & 6.5 Grendel and another on a V22 .22RF sporter. Although the glass in the Ares ETR & several pre-BTR & BTR Cronus scopes I own is better, it's just something I notice from time to time, but only if I'm shooting rifles with both Midas TAC & Cronus on the same day. As far as I'm concerned, Athlon hit a home run with the Midas TAC - don't think you can beat it with anything in its price slot. I am kind of curious about the Gen 2 Ares BTR though, with respect to how it compares to the Midas TAC. BUT - since the MSRP of the Gen 2 Ares is as high as that of the new 34mm Midas TAC 5-25x56, I may pass on buying an Ares BTR & skip to the 34mm Midas TAC.

OP....Yes! I've been preaching this exact same sermon from the rooftops since I got mine. I've never looked through a kahles, s&b,etc but the Tac has exceeded my expectations. Your subtle hint about the ETR is accurate too. I looked through a gen 2 razor hd then through the ETR and to my eye, the image quality in the ETR was better. iMO

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
Nothing but praise for the Midas TAC, well except I prefer reticles that are all .2's, so I sold both mine recently (one just yesterday). Got one Ares BTR Gen2 4.5-27x50 already (all .2's in the reticle), now I'm ordering another next week.
I'm ordering 1-2 more as soon as I can! Finally getting what I want for the price.
Oh, BTW, the Gen2 Ares BTR's are WAAAAY nicer than the Gen1's!

For me, the $650 Midas tac 30mm 6-24x50 may not be “as good” as many in the $1k glass range, it’s so close to me I haven’t seen one yet that is worth the price difference. I considered, looked through, and/or shot these in that $800-$1k range: Hawke ffp 5-25, Bushnell Forge, Leupold vx3 LTP, Athlon btr, couple Burris models, and a couple vortex models.

If I could spend $1k on glass, I’d figure out a way to stretch the budget and spend $1200 on the ETR. I can’t justify the extra roughly $350 for any in that range I’ve looked at, but the ETR is worth the extra $550 over the Midas tac. JMHO.

That said, haven’t seen the gen2 btr so that may change my mind.

Last edited:
JCIII - I'm sure you're going to enjoy your new V22 with the Midas TAC. And since that fine new rifle is going to last you a good number of years, if you do any shooting behind a nicer, more expensive scope that really makes enough difference to make you feel you won't be happy without it, you can always put back some extra cash until you can afford whatever it is that caught your eye. I had a couple of used, older, pre-BTR Cronus scopes here that I hadn't tried to re-sell yet when I bought my 1st V22 three years ago, so rather than go with an Ares Gen 1 BTR, I put one of the Cronus scopes on it. Felt a little like over-kill at first, but after I got used to the clarity of the Cronus, I knew I wasn't going back. Besides, at that time, the Midas TAC wasn't available, nor was the Ares Gen 2 BTR, and I'm not sure that the Ares ETR was on the market yet at that time. Whatever, I've got Cronus BTRs on both heavy comp V22s now, and after I got used to the thinner + aiming point of the BTR reticle, I'm loving it when we run into some really small targets in a match. Do I think you're going to be handicapped by your Midas TAC? Nope, I don't. And it's plenty good enough to help you find some good lots of SK and/or Lapua while you're testing lot samples. Give me the choice between shooting sub-par ammo with a more expensive scope than the Midas, or spending the difference in price on a case or two of excellent ammo, and I'll take the excellent ammo.

In what way? The only reviews I've seen just say that the turrets are the only real improvement.

All my comments going forward are concerning the Athlon Ares BTR Gen1 vs the Gen2 version.

Stainless steel internals in the turret assembly vs brass. Yes the turrets are excellent now, much like the ETR line.

A new optical system, it looks clearer to me. Also it focuses out farther, meaning by 800-ish yards the Gen1 was out of adjustment range for my eyes so always slightly out of focus at 1000Y. All 3 were like this.

My friends and I had this odd thing on the G1 where even with a 20 moa base there wasn't much "up" adjustment left??? G2 isn't like this.

Granted - these G1's that my friend and I own are all 2-3 year old scopes so it's possible 1 year old??? scopes were improved some, I couldn't say one way or another. Plus there is always unit to unit variation.

Past these comments about the Gen1 vs the Gen2, the Gen2 feels like, and acts like, a much more expensive scope, and the G1 didn't to me.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
For me, the $650 Midas tac 30mm 6-24x50 may not be “as good” as many in the $1k glass range, it’s so close to me I haven’t seen one yet that is worth the price difference. I considered, looked through, and/or shot these in that $800-$1k range: Hawke ffp 5-25, Bushnell Forge, Leupold vx3 LTP, Athlon btr, couple Burris models, and a couple vortex models.

If I could spend $1k on glass, I’d figure out a way to stretch the budget and spend $1200 on the ETR. I can’t justify the extra roughly $350 for any in that range I’ve looked at, but the ETR is worth the extra $550 over the Midas tac. JMHO.

That said, haven’t seen the gen2 btr so that may change my mind.

If you don't want or need illume, nor want an all .2 mil reticle, the Midas TAC is "THE" scope to have in it's price range.

All my comments going forward are concerning the Athlon Ares BTR Gen1 vs the Gen2 version.

Stainless steel internals in the turret assembly vs brass. Yes the turrets are excellent now, much like the ETR line.

A new optical system, it looks clearer to me. Also it focuses out farther, meaning by 800-ish yards the Gen1 was out of adjustment range for my eyes so always slightly out of focus at 1000Y. All 3 were like this.

My friends and I had this odd thing on the G1 where even with a 20 moa base there wasn't much "up" adjustment left??? G2 isn't like this.

Granted - these G1's that my friend and I own are all 2-3 year old scopes so it's possible 1 year old??? scopes were improved some, I couldn't say one way or another. Plus there is always unit to unit variation.

Past these comments about the Gen1 vs the Gen2, the Gen2 feels like, and acts like, a much more expensive scope, and the G1 didn't to me.
That’s good info, I’ll have to look into this one further. I don’t remember when I saw Gen 1, but does it also have center dot reticle on the mil/mil? After having that on the MT, it’s definitely preferred.

JCIII - I'm sure you're going to enjoy your new V22 with the Midas TAC. And since that fine new rifle is going to last you a good number of years, if you do any shooting behind a nicer, more expensive scope that really makes enough difference to make you feel you won't be happy without it, you can always put back some extra cash until you can afford whatever it is that caught your eye. I had a couple of used, older, pre-BTR Cronus scopes here that I hadn't tried to re-sell yet when I bought my 1st V22 three years ago, so rather than go with an Ares Gen 1 BTR, I put one of the Cronus scopes on it. Felt a little like over-kill at first, but after I got used to the clarity of the Cronus, I knew I wasn't going back. Besides, at that time, the Midas TAC wasn't available, nor was the Ares Gen 2 BTR, and I'm not sure that the Ares ETR was on the market yet at that time. Whatever, I've got Cronus BTRs on both heavy comp V22s now, and after I got used to the thinner + aiming point of the BTR reticle, I'm loving it when we run into some really small targets in a match. Do I think you're going to be handicapped by your Midas TAC? Nope, I don't. And it's plenty good enough to help you find some good lots of SK and/or Lapua while you're testing lot samples. Give me the choice between shooting sub-par ammo with a more expensive scope than the Midas, or spending the difference in price on a case or two of excellent ammo, and I'll take the excellent ammo.
Sadly Chronos was out of my budget, but it’s definitely a better scope, no argument here.

That’s good info, I’ll have to look into this one further. I don’t remember when I saw Gen 1, but does it also have center dot reticle on the mil/mil? After having that on the MT, it’s definitely preferred.

No the Ares BTR's in mil and moa have a "+" center.

I went a little nuts a few minutes ago and ordered a ETR to try and another G2 Ares BTR 4.5-27! Also a Helos 1-4.5x24 and a 3x prism sight. Gonna take a while to pay that stuff off but at least "I think" I'm done buying scopes for 2020!

Reactions: 10ring1
No the Ares BTR's in mil and moa have a "+" center.

I went a little nuts a few minutes ago and ordered a ETR to try and another G2 Ares BTR 4.5-27! Also a Helos 1-4.5x24 and a 3x prism sight. Gonna take a while to pay that stuff off but at least "I think" I'm done buying scopes for 2020!

Never say never! The year is young lol

• Haha
Reactions: steve123
I don't care for illumination and looking for another best bang for the buck scope... right now considering -

Midas Tac 5-25x56 for $700
Or a Athlon Ares ETR for $1000

Is the ETR glass better than the Midas Tac? Given the new Tac is so new, I would think it's more or less basically just the ETR w/o illumination, and I could save $300.

How is the eye relief on the Midas Tac? That has been my one thing I have noticed looking through other Athlons its not very forgiving.

I don't care for illumination and looking for another best bang for the buck scope... right now considering -

Midas Tac 5-25x56 for $700
Or a Athlon Ares ETR for $1000

Is the ETR glass better than the Midas Tac? Given the new Tac is so new, I would think it's more or less basically just the ETR w/o illumination, and I could save $300.

I looked at the Ares ETR several times and almost bought one but, the timing was perfect for the new 5-25x56 Midas TAC and I went with it instead because I didn't need illumination. I will just say that I've never been able to look through both scopes at the same time but, I believe the glass is equal in clarity, contrast and brightness. My Midas TAC tracks very well, returns to zero, and the reticle sits straight to a plumb line. I actually think the clicks on the turrets are better than what I felt on the Ares ETR.

Bob

Reactions: littlepod
First that’s a great price for both of those, where are they listed? I think the ETR is definitely better glass, and the two I've had my hands on had movement at least as good as the Tac if not better. I think at $1K I wouldn't hesitate a second to pay the additional $300 over the 5-25x56tac, even at that low price.

Reactions: littlepod
First that’s a great price for both of those, where are they listed? I think the ETR is definitely better glass, and the two I've had my hands on had movement at least as good as the Tac if not better. I think at $1K I wouldn't hesitate a second to pay the additional $300 over the 5-25x56tac, even at that low price.

On black friday I saw one for $850! I should've just bought it. I occassionally will bump into 15-20% coupon codes off one of the retailers so I can get them around 950-1000. I think cameralandny with gra8tful doug sells it for around $1060.

If you can find a Gen 1 BTR at the reduced price they work. Gen 2s are much better. Getting ready to upgrade a Gen 1 now. No issues with mine just want to something higher end. Mine worked well for several matches last season. The little I played with the Tacs at trade shows this year they are fanstastic for the price range.

I ordered in a couple of the Midas TAC 5-25x56 scopes this past week to put on my tables at our club's annual gun show. Am kind of hoping to sell one, and have the other scope left to put on one of my own rifles to give it good test. I've got several Cronus scopes on rifles from a Bighorn 260 Improved 30* to V22s, and one Ares ETR on a nice M70 6x47 Lap - but it's good to see Athlon stepping up its game with the Gen 2 Ares & Midas scope lines. The Midas TAC 6-24x50s I've got on a couple of Howa Mini customs & CZ457s are really nice scopes. Will probably order in a few Ares Gen 2s later this spring to compare to the Gen 1s that are still on several of my other customs that I've built for myself. It's hard not to like the new turrets with SS guts & their very distinct clicks.

How is the eye relief on the Midas Tac? That has been my one thing I have noticed looking through other Athlons its not very forgiving.

My cronus has great eye relief, ares btr not so much at high power, its fine at 20x

Reactions: x_789
@flatland1, I'd be very interested to hear your comparison of the Midas Tac 5-25x56 and Ares ETR. These are the two scopes I'm going back on forth on for my precision 22lr build.

Last edited:
If you guys are buying Athlon,

you owe it to yourself to call @gr8fuldoug at Cameraland NY. Mention that you’re hide members and you’ll never buy from somewhere else again. ?

^^ Truth

Going on 3 weeks ago I bought a Midas TAC 5-25 from Doug. Last week I bought a Ares ETR. Beside the fact that Doug's price was better than anywhere else, he deserves our business as gratitude for sponsoring the forum here, and on other forums.

@flatland1, I'd be very interested to hear your comparison of the Midas Tac 5-25x56 and Ares ETR. These are the two scopes I'm going back on forth on for my precision 22lr build.
BJG56 - I didn't sell anything this weekend at the gunshow but a Helos that a friend had asked me to include in my last order. Lots more questions asked during this show about Athlon's line of scopes than in the past few years though, so perhaps some of the guys out in this part of the country are starting to read more of the positive feedback on scopes like the Midas TAC & Ares ETR & BTR Gen 2 models. Whatever, I'm planning on putting one of the Midas TAC 5-25x56s on one on of my rifles. The best way to give any scope's internal adjustments a good work-out as far as I'm concerned is to put it on a precision 22RF bolt rifle. That way it gets the elevation run up & down a bunch, as I typically shoot from 50yds out to 200 or more anytime I've got time to do more than shoot a few 50yd novelty paper targets. Best way to compare the new 5-25x56 to the Ares ETR would be to put one of each on my two heavy bbl'd comp V22s and run a few hundred rounds through each rifle. Know this isn't going to give any indication of how they stand up to recoil, but for now, I probably won't have time to do a good comparison of the two on any of my CF rifles.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10ring1
Bought one used from a member here and absolutely love it. Tracks perfectly. Passed tall target and box test with ease.
Absolutely love mine. Have moved it across several rifles for different things.

Tracked absolutely perfectly to 1000 yards in a class I took a couple weeks ago, has been really easy to set up. Great scope.

I did lose the little baggie of screws they sent with it and the little Allen wrench.

I found a set of Allen wrenches at harbor freight that have the teeny 1/16th size Allen key on it for 1.99. I bought a couple of them.

I also bought a bit set that had a 1/16 so I could include that in my dixit stuck kit, but but it didn't fit the scope for some reason. Neither did an Allen set I already had. I had to touch up those bits very gently with a file to get the key to fit in the screw but now my toolkits all have the 1/16 bits in them

I did lose the little baggie of screws they sent with it and the little Allen wrench

Pretty sure if you called Athlon they'd get replacements to you. As for the allen key, I believe I've heard it said they are 1.5mm.

Pretty sure if you called Athlon they'd get replacements to you. As for the allen key, I believe I've heard it said they are 1.5mm.

A 1.5mm works but they are a little loose. I had one spin trying to undo one of the screws. According to their website they are 1/16th, and high quality keys that size fit well. Just not all the ones I tried were perfectly made so I had to just super lightly file a couple of them to get them to fit right

A 1.5mm works but they are a little loose. I had one spin trying to undo one of the screws. According to their website they are 1/16th, and high quality keys that size fit well. Just not all the ones I tried were perfectly made so I had to just super lightly file a couple of them to get them to fit right

I stand corrected.

I put the 6-24x50 on my HMR and couldn't be happier. Great value. I like it better than my PST II. Glass seems clearer and the clicks are much more positive.