• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

iukamedic

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2017
Athlon btr or Athlon etr. Ive Been looking at these two scopes or a Leupold mk5 5x25. Want illumination good turrets and good glass. I understand that good glass is subjective. I have looked through a mk5 3.6x18 and liked the clarity. Don’t know the street value of the etr but I can get the btr or leupold( not illuminated ) for about the same price. Thanks ahead of time.

I just bought my second Athlon Cronus BTR, love them and when my eyes compare against Razor HD II, Burris XTR II, and my Kahles K624i, I choose the Athlon. Controls just more to my liking too.

I have the Cronus BTR, buddy has the ETR. The ETR is nice, good glass. Locking windage is nice. I don’t particularly like the made in China ETR but so far it’s been good

You are going to have to be more specific, Athlon has the Cronus BTR, Ares BTR, Argos BTR.

I’m assuming he’s comparing Ares models

Edit: he did say he can get the BTR for same price as Leupold MK5, so I may very well be mistaken as the Cronus BTR I would think is more in the MK5 price range

Last edited:
Just a heads up, we have just redone some showcases and we have a few as new display scopes available, including Cronus BTR's with ARPS or APLR5 reticles in MIL or MOA, for only $1299.99. These scopes have never been mounted and are basically new scopes that have been opened. :)

Just a heads up, we have just redone some showcases and we have a few as new display scopes available, including Cronus BTR's with ARPS or APLR5 reticles in MIL or MOA, for only $1299.99. These scopes have never been mounted and are basically new scopes that have been opened. :)

Any similar deals on the Ares ETR?

The price at cameraland for the cronus BTR is comparable to the used price in the PX.

Sorry for the confusion. I am talking about cronus btr and ares etr. Thanks for all the comments

Oops that makes more sense then :)

I'd get a used ETR for $900. Yes it's made in China, but man the glass is great and the turrets are newer than the Cronus BTR. Both have the same lifetime warranty.

If you bump up to $1500-1600, get the new Tract 4.5-30x56.

Sorry for the confusion. I am talking about cronus btr and ares etr. Thanks for all the comments

Cronus BTR gets my vote then. Made by LOW in Japan. Excellent glass, excellent tracking and not Made in China. The closest scope to my Cronus is my NF ATACR. I’d trust a LOW product before I’d trust a Chinese product especially if there in the same ballpark $$ wise

Reactions: lneel
I decided on the ETR myself. For the small difference in price between it and the Ares BTR it seemed like the better deal.

I just picked up an ETR from a hide member. It’s better than the PST, FX1000, LRHS and Zeiss V4 I’ve owned. Turrets are great and so is the reticle.

If the Cronus had a locking or capped windage, then I would’ve got one instead of the ETR.

I had the Ares ETR in mils. To me, the center dot is to small. The rest of the scope is bitching. I have 3 Cronus BTRs in MILS. They have the center crosshair. The rest of the scope is bitching. One of the guys I go shooting with preferred the dot. Go figure. All 4 scopes have been purchased in the PX.

I had the Ares ETR in mils. To me, the center dot is to small. The rest of the scope is bitching. I have 3 Cronus BTRs in MILS. They have the center crosshair. The rest of the scope is bitching. One of the guys I go shooting with preferred the dot. Go figure. All 4 scopes have been purchased in the PX.

Although I prefer the center dot, my hope is the Cronus Gen 2 has a slightly larger dot and locking windage like the Ares ETR. I’ll be all over it immediately

Reactions: Jscb1b
Oops that makes more sense then :)

I'd get a used ETR for $900. Yes it's made in China, but man the glass is great and the turrets are newer than the Cronus BTR. Both have the same lifetime warranty.

If you bump up to $1500-1600, get the new Tract 4.5-30x56.

I didn't realize that Tract had such a nice .2 mil reticle! Where's the cheapest place to buy it?

This is the guy I’d be calling if you want one right now

That's a lot of scope for the$$$$
I was spotting impacts at 2800 and 3000 yards today with my Cronus

Reactions: Jscb1b
Finally got around to looking through the Cronus that I picked up from Doug, I was surprised at the quality of the glass (very subjective). I have used the Razor as well and I thought it was comparable in some aspects, I wish the Cronus had locking turrets and while I have not removed the grease from the turrets they are rather mushy as other people have stated. Overall it isn’t a bad scope, is it a ZCO or TT no, but I wasn’t expecting it to be either.

Last edited:
Finally got around to using the Cronus that I picked up from Doug, I was surprised at the quality of the glass (very subjective). I have used the Razor as well and I thought it was comparable in some aspects, I wish the Cronus had locking turrets and while I have not removed the grease from the turrets they are rather mushy as other people have stated. Overall it isn’t a bad scope, is it a ZCO or TT no, but I wasn’t expecting it to be either.

Pretty good review.

Reactions: Nouseforaname01