• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Atlas 5H

ehaleyjr86

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2011
Centerburg, Ohio
I am trying to decide if I want to add another Atlas bipod to my collection. I have a few Harris bipods and one Atlas.

I shoot a 6.5 off a bench or prone out to 1k (sometimes further) and I just bought a 300PRC to shoot out to a mile in the same manner (bench or prone). I never considered buying one (Atlas 5-H) until I watched the video Frank put up about them. He mentioned that the 5-H style adds stability to the rifle.

I’m curious what others have found improvement wise or other feedback. I do agree they are expensive even with 10% discount but in my experience your bipod is a critical piece of kit.

Reactions: 1911hombre
I think you have to weight stability vs mobility with a 5H. I've tried it on a 338 and it was great, but I didn't like it on my 6.5, prefer the cal.

Reactions: ehaleyjr86
I only tend to use my atlas 5h for precision shooting. Its lower and wider stance allows the rifle to be cradled for more stable shooting positions and recoil management. But it is heavier and not very portable when compared to the other smaller and more common bipods.

For what its worth, the atlas 5h bipod most likely would not fit in your rifle case with your rifle and will have to be packed separately.

I love my 5H but yes it is not “mobile” I shoot with it prone and off a bench with my 338 and 6.5. With the heavier 338 it does help stabilize the rifle but I think it’s overkill for the 6.5

I added the Area 419 spigot extension to my 5H just so I could take it on and off between rifles and not have to mess with the tilt adjustment. It also helps push the bipod forward about an inch or so to aid in the stability

I had a 5H and sold it within one trip to the range. I use my bipod on multiple guns and having to unlatch and unscrew everything to move was a huge design flaw I couldn't get past. I love my CAL 2 that I bought after the 5H