• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Atlas bipod “slapjax”

BB&P

Private
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2022
North Carolina
Hey all! I came upon this item randomly and wanted to see if anyone has used it yet. It looks like they created replacement plates for the locking action, which removes the requirement for depressing the button to go to 90*.

2254245C-23D8-435F-9745-98B3F0F586D4.jpeg

Reactions: Snapper314
Well I'm very interested in the potential of these!

I hope they plan on also making a version for the CAL line of Atlas Bipods.

Bought a set. Had trouble installing trying to get the atlas apart and stopped and just moved on and didn’t install

Well I'm very interested in the potential of these!

I hope they plan on also making a version for the CAL line of Atlas Bipods.

"The SlapJax is currently available for the Atlas CAL model bipod. It WILL NOT FIT the Atlas V8 or PSR models."

Out of the bipods I have which include 6 or so harris, Atlas Cal Gen II, TBAC and Accutac HD 50 the Atlas is my go to and number one bipod. The only thing TBAC excels in for me is the faster deployment

If atlas came up with a cal Gen 3 and had this system on it it would be an absolute home run in my book. I don’t use the 45° angle personally on any of them except for pictures (it supposedly makes guns look cooler 🤪)

Out of the bipods I have which include 6 or so harris, Atlas Cal Gen II, TBAC and Accutac HD 50 the Atlas is my go to and number one bipod. The only thing TBAC excels in for me is the faster deployment

If atlas came up with a cal Gen 3 and had this system on it it would be an absolute home run in my book. I don’t use the 45° angle personally on any of them except for pictures (it supposedly makes guns look cooler 🤪)

Agree. And because it maintains the 135 degree you can flip the bipod around and gain the 45 forward position if you actually needed it

Treat him like the poor he is !!

I have a cal2, and it was the jankiest POS imaginable. Nearly as wobbly as my tweaked Harris, but was a smidge better. I just delt with it because I thought to myself "well, it is better than a Harris I guess".

Was testing a mates rifle, and notices he has the same cal2, so went about using it, and OH FUK it's absolutely awesome. Then spoke to the company I purchased it from (in AU). Told me to contact Atlas. So did that, showed a video. They told me to tighten it up, blah blah. The legs collapse when you load the bipod. No shit, it won't clip into that half circle thing with notches, etc.. multiple issues.
Anyway. I stripped and rebuilt it. Twice. Nothing.

So I did the thing any reasonable Aussie would do. Rebuilt it my way. Made new parts and put ~10 hours into it. Now it's a rock star. Super solid, no slop, the cant actually tightens, the legs extend / retract properly...

Back to the OP on those 2 parts.. I expect he designed them out of hate for the original, and the reason @Maurygold didn't use them. It appears all Atlas are "different".

Anyone install these and have an issue where the leg won’t come down to 90* as advertised? Just got a set, installed them and no way the leg will deploy without having to push the button on the side like normal operation. No matter how much I pull, no dice. If someone has and I messed up, happy to be told so and what I did. But for the life of me, I can’t seem to see anything obvious. Have a message into the company and awaiting reply.

Attachments

• 002DF34A-4A25-42D2-BE08-0159AD863CD2.jpeg
    002DF34A-4A25-42D2-BE08-0159AD863CD2.jpeg
    415.6 KB · Views: 165
  • 0DB5ECA4-804F-4D42-9526-71ED9A57E087.jpeg
    0DB5ECA4-804F-4D42-9526-71ED9A57E087.jpeg
    385 KB · Views: 151
Reactions: SneakyDingo1
Anyone install these and have an issue where the leg won’t come down to 90* as advertised? Just got a set, installed them and no way the leg will deploy without having to push the button on the side like normal operation. No matter how much I pull, no dice. If someone has and I messed up, happy to be told so and what I did. But for the life of me, I can’t seem to see anything obvious. Have a message into the company and awaiting reply.
Waiting on mine. Sure they arent backwards? I imagine a bit of grease would help as well.

Waiting on mine. Sure they arent backwards? I imagine a bit of grease would help as well.
I thought that and honestly looked at them numerous times to make sure. According to the video, logo faces outwards and knowing that, there’s only one way to mount them having the proper orientation forward.

I installed mine from @Maurygold and don’t have an issue with them deploying. I just received another set for my other CAL yesterday so I’m going to pop em in later today.

Would be great if this was offered as an option from Atlas in the future though.

I’ve been chatting with them and we’re gonna try and rectify the issue. He’s not 100% sure on what’s going on. But very receptive and helpful so I’m sure we’ll get it sorted out.

Just a follow up…

So apparently the older Cal bipods have hardware that make them incompatible with the slapjax. It’s specifically the buttons to deploy the legs. I have the older hardware which is why they weren’t working.

They were super cool to deal with, issued a refund and apologies. Im going to reach out to B&T about purchasing new hardware but I suspect they wouldn’t sell small parts.

Reactions: iceng and ma smith
^^^ Good follow up post. (y)

I'm sure that will save some somebody else a bunch of grief in the future, and good to hear the company is on top of its game in knowing the pro/con of its product and having high class customer service.

Can someone post a picture comparison between "gen1" and "gen2" cal2 hardware ? Never heard of this previously.

Can someone post a picture comparison between "gen1" and "gen2" cal2 hardware ? Never heard of this previously.
Hopefully this helps. The button on the newer Gen hardware flares out where mine does not.

Attachments

• 1CC3CBAF-1BA2-4CC2-8754-C6DF78B63265.jpeg
    1CC3CBAF-1BA2-4CC2-8754-C6DF78B63265.jpeg
    819.6 KB · Views: 111
  • FFC8914E-8667-4C8B-845B-1E4ABB3C005D.jpeg
    FFC8914E-8667-4C8B-845B-1E4ABB3C005D.jpeg
    385 KB · Views: 110
A gear solution to a skills problem

Who knew?
I like you. Because sometimes you make some really stupid comments.

Having a bipod which requires a skill to use, is a gear problem. I do not have this exact problem, as I have the required skill to use my bipod. However if I can find a piece of gear to lower the threshold of skill required to use said bipod, I will trial it to see if it makes an improvement.

I like you. Because sometimes you make some really stupid comments.

Having a bipod which requires a skill to use, is a gear problem. I do not have this exact problem, as I have the required skill to use my bipod. However if I can find a piece of gear to lower the threshold of skill required to use said bipod, I will trial it to see if it makes an improvement.

Gear queers will queer

Looks suspect to me.

Just borrow a Harris for a stage.

I run a BRMS with Pod-Loc and RRS ARCA and am happy to help a brother out... as long as you rich MF'ers share your $$$ Ckye-Pods the once or twice a year I need an $800 bipod for 90secs lol.

Love the idea, and would happily welcome this on all my Cal2's, provided they can eliminate either the 45 or the 135 by just flipping the detent plates.

Where can I find a contact for these? My google sleuthing is failing me at the moment.

Love the idea, and would happily welcome this on all my Cal2's, provided they can eliminate either the 45 or the 135 by just flipping the detent plates.

Where can I find a contact for these? My google sleuthing is failing me at the moment.
Hit the YT video in the first post then go to their page.

Reactions: Nbleak21
FYI... If you have the old button style CAL, these will still work. You just have to LIGHTLY hit the edge (of the Slappy Jacky...NOT the bipod) with a Dremel or file. Just installed a set on my older CAL and they work the exact same as the ones I put on my new gen CAL.
When in doubt, Dremel out.

FYI... If you have the old button style CAL, these will still work. You just have to LIGHTLY hit the edge (of the Slappy Jacky...NOT the bipod) with a Dremel or file. Just installed a set on my older CAL and they work the exact same as the ones I put on my new gen CAL.
When in doubt, Dremel out.
Can you show exactly where you hit it with a Dremel? I’d still like to use them if I can. I’m cool with breaking out my gUnSmiF skillz! 😂

Reactions: M8541Reaper
Can you show exactly where you hit it with a Dremel? I’d still like to use them if I can. I’m cool with breaking out my gUnSmiF skillz! 😂
Yea man no problem. I’ll pop some up tomorrow before I hit the range.

C3945CFE-F96A-4991-B343-E8B1DAE06DFB.jpeg

You just want to lightly knock down the edge (on the SJ) that holds the leg pin/button in place.

If you want to keep the same tension as factory, witness mark your legs prior to breaking the loctite and starting.

Reactions: touge and Stag556
Sorry for slow reply. This plate design is nothing new to us at B&T, we designed it back in September of 2019 (see below) and got some prototypes made to prove the design. Furthermore, a Swedish company has also been making them for maybe as long as a year ago... https://fksport.se/sv/tillbehor/benstod-bipod/locking-plate-for-atlas-bipod Regardless, IF the maker of these had of asked me about doing this, I would have cautioned him of ALL the different geometry changes we have made over the YEARS that will have a negative impact on this plate. In fact, we are seeing the result of this above in some posts where they don’t fit/function. FYI, one size Position Plate will not fit all CAL bipods, or any Atlas bipod line, we have had many revisions on all our bipods.

Which begs the question why we are not making them! Pretty simple from my chair, since 2020 our business has been busy with what we currently offer. When we are pushing out delivery dates for dealers and asking employees to work at least 45 hours, is no time to add to that mix let alone we have no room for more inventory. We are resolving that with a larger facility we hope to be in within 18 months and then we will be able to accommodate many of the new products that are in a holding pattern to include another bipod for those that want faster functionality.

And remember, we did not patent our push button feet design as I knew others were working on feet for the Harris and wanted to give this feature to the industry. So, selfishness or exclusivity is not who we are, in fact several of our competitors offer the same feature. We are about doing what is right, which is why I tried to offer the idea for the Atlas to Mr. Harris himself as he was the bipod guy.

On the warranty, going from memory it has been probably the within the last six weeks that we saw two Leg Bolt failures, a rare occurrence as we maybe have had 10-20 since introducing the Atlas 15 years ago. So of course, we do our due diligence to try and find out the “why” checking the material, machining etc.. Of course the signs of the hex socket being stressed/deformed suggests an attempt was made to remove it, but the customer says otherwise…. Then we are made aware of these plates and the makers “…MAY void warranty” statement . Mystery solved and solution is in place.

To be clear, installing these WILL void your warranty with B&T, in fact we no longer warranty ANY Leg Bolt failures.

02.28.2023.jpg

Last edited:
looks like a very nice solution for a problem that didnt exist for me
but they did do a nice job

I like my Atlas PSR exactly how it is. IF you need quick deploy on the legs as a primary feature ..I'd get the new accu-tac FD4.

I have an accu-tac FC4 and they are pretty sweet.

I think they're very different bipods in general and like both for different reasons.

Not at all. People with a slow draw wont know how to capitalize on the advantage.

Try again
My point is that all games have gamer gear. There must be a reason that USPSA shooters don’t use level 3 retention holsters. Those race holsters must be a gear solution to a slower draw from a secure carry/duty holster, right?

This little doodad appears to keep the lock collar on the bipod leg disengaged until the leg is deployed to the 90deg position. It makes deploying the bipod faster and less fiddly than dicking with the collar. Sure, more practice would make it nominally less fiddly. But, then again,by that logic getting better with a retention holster would obviate the need for race holsters.

It’s a game…

4F94FD43-20C8-4C05-A523-592CD1B8254D.jpeg

Reactions: 308pirate
But, if you’re really looking for a place to direct your indignation over the gear/skill dichotomy, pop on over to the Bolt action forum and read about guys with 6mm rifles approaching the weight of a 50 BMG, for barricade benchrest PRS matches.

• Haha
Reactions: RackSqueezeBang