• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Atlas bipod mod...

Victor Co Heather

Victor Company USA
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2006
SOCAL USA
www.victorcompanyusa.com
I have a couple Atlas bipods and really like them. My most recent aquisiton is the V8 with the AI spigot and the new tension knob which tightens up the spigot.

One thing I noticed is no matter how much I tightened the knob it still had a little bit of a slight rotating position 11:50-12:10 rock/twist. So I had the head modded by my smith with two small set screws to prohibit any tilt. It was an easy mod and now my Atlas is has no loose tilt.

L1080540.jpg

Atlas2.jpg

Atlas1.jpg

Atlas3.jpg

Re: Atlas bipod mod...

I could be wrong, but I think that small degree of tilt was designed into the bipod to help with loading it. I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere. Hopefully someone else can either confirm or deny this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nachtadler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I could be wrong, but I think that small degree of tilt was designed into the bipod to help with loading it. I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere. Hopefully someone else can either confirm or deny this. </div></div>

No the tilt is a rocking around the long axis of the rifle, not the forward load of the bipod.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nachtadler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I could be wrong, but I think that small degree of tilt was designed into the bipod to help with loading it. I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere. Hopefully someone else can either confirm or deny this. </div></div>

No the tilt is a rocking around the long axis of the rifle, not the forward load of the bipod. </div></div>

Okay, I get what you mean now. Nevermind, then.

Necessity is the mother of all invention.

I don't care what anyone says. I hate the AI spigot.

This was a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brand692</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, do you know what the screw sizes are? </div></div>

I'm not sure, we just eyeballed it.

M.45
Not trying to hijack your thread, just add to it.
I wasn't happy With the slop in my bipod either, so I went for the LOW cost home mod.
I put just a dab of JB weld on each of the pads that you put set screws in and put a small pad on the stem. I would guess that I had to build them up less than 1/16" with a toothpick as my applicator.
I also put set screws in the existing side holes that hold the stem in place.
SScott

Bipod1.jpg

bipod2.jpg

I bought four of the new spigots from Atlas and all of mine tighten up and there is no play in them. When I bought the last two, Kasey called me and said that there are some that don't tighten up and wanted to know if mine were ok, which they were. I am sure if you give him a call he will sort it out. I am really happy with the new setup.

DSCN4870-1.jpg

Wouldn't that take out a important (although less used) feature of the bipod? Mine though tight also has some play and am having to readjust after every shot. It would be cool if they offered a "lock" feature

my questions same as nockm above: I thought the play is allowing the shooter to swivel when needed, kinda like the original AI bipod design.

There is a tension knob at the base where the two legs intersect, it controls how easy the bipod will swivel in the clockwise rotation. It will also allow the bipod to rotate around the Y axis to track moving targets.

M45- I tightened it down, used a bit of locktite after it loosened on me, and haven't had an issue since.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">M45- I tightened it down, used a bit of locktite after it loosened on me, and haven't had an issue since. </div></div>

Good to hear that works. I cranked it all the way down and it didn't get tight enough to stop the 10 degree rotation. Now it's definitely not gonna move.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">M45- I tightened it down, used a bit of locktite after it loosened on me, and haven't had an issue since. </div></div>

Good to hear that works. I cranked it all the way down and it didn't get tight enough to stop the 10 degree rotation. Now it's definitely not gonna move. </div></div>Right on. I probably have a stronger grip than most, but I experienced an issue when leveling the rifle: it loosened up. Locktite fixed that problem.

M.45 i notice that one of the screws on top of your spigot looks like its not down all of the way. Any reason for that?

I found that when my spigot came from accushot, the pin wasnt long enough to actually click into my chasis system, so it would just fall out.

I had to take these top screws out and lengthen the pin a little bit by pulling it out of the spigot body. I got it at just the right length so that I have no play when I tighten up the tension knob on the spigot. The only downside to this is i need to push down on the button with the force of odin, if i want to remove the spigot from the chasis.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">M.45 i notice that one of the screws on top of your spigot looks like its not down all of the way. Any reason for that?

I found that when my spigot came from accushot, the pin wasnt long enough to actually click into my chasis system, so it would just fall out.

I had to take these top screws out and lengthen the pin a little bit by pulling it out of the spigot body. I got it at just the right length so that I have no play when I tighten up the tension knob on the spigot. The only downside to this is i need to push down on the button with the force of odin, if i want to remove the spigot from the chasis.
</div></div>

I need to tighten that one screw, thanks for pointing it out. We took those screws out when we did the mod.

Regarding the length, mine clicks in perfectly as long at the tension knob is loosened. Otherwise it will not secure itself when pushed into the hole.

I like the new feature for the AI spigot I think I will have to send
mine in for the update.

The V2 Spigot should slide fore and aft about 3/16" of an inch in the block that the Atlas is mounted to. To install, the Tension Knob is loosened, rotating it towards the end of the threaded shaft, The opposite end is placed into the female receptacle and is pressed into place using the Tension Knob. There should be a "click" heard when the latch engages the groove. At that point the Tension Knob is tightened to the block, which in theory should make the block tight to the stock.

Mine locks up tight. There isn't any perceptible play at the spigot.

However, I rarely shoot on perfectly flat surfaces so I rarely lock the bipod all the way out. I am always making minute adjustments to stay perfectly level. I guess that's one of the reasons I didn't install pod-locks on all my Harris bipods.