• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Atlas bipod use

DannC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2014
Mount Gilead, NC 27306
I have the Atlas bipod [standard height] on a Ruger PR in .308. With the leg extensions mounted and extended to 45 degrees forward I get a very stable rifle using a Atlas mono pod. This is on my kitchen table, have not shot it in this setup. My question is the weight of the rifle [about 15lbs.] eliminate the need to load the bipod and only need to pull the rifle into the shoulder? I was getting considerable hop with the bipod at 90 degrees. Unfortunately my scope is in for service and it maybe several more weeks before I can go to the range again.

Thanks DannC

If you are looking for an answer to the hop, then I think you need to make sure that you are straight behind the rifle and the rifle is loaded into the bipod and set into your shoulder pocket and you are relaxed to accept the recoil. Unless it helps you relax or improves the ergonomics for you I do not think you are going to eliminate hop by tilting the legs.

You say "kitchen table" are you doing all your shooting from a bench? If so you might want to consider doing some shooting from the prone.

Reactions: Cheeseburger1976
Thanks diverdon, I have only been in this LR shooting for about six months so I know my mechanics are lacking. I have read in these forums that the further you can get your bipod toward the muzzle is an advantage. Yes I have only shot from a bench. Cold wet weather have kept me off the ground.
My question is with the bipod extended forward would the weight of the rifle self load the bipod in this setup?

Thanks DannC

Load the bipod and pull it into yourself. If you do this and are straight behind the rifle then the hop should go away.

The “pull it into yourself” part is very important for sure. I didn’t do this well early on and suffered lots of frustrating bipod hop ...

Bipod hop will happen if your technique is incorrect no matter what you do to the bipod in terms of leg adjustments.

I only pull the rifle into me if I'm shooting from a hard surface. If I'm shooting from a soft surface the bipod legs dig in and allow me to load the bipod enough that it isn't necessary to pull back into the shoulder.

Complete and total muscular relaxation is also key for the rifle to return to battery without jumping all over the place.

My original question about the weight of the rifle would load the bipod to take out the minimal "slop" movement of the bipod has not been address.
Would this create negative loading and should I move the bipod forward and then pull the butt stock into the shoulder? Regardless of leg position.?

The weight of the rifle does move the 45 degree forward slant of the legs of the bipod forward, Will this then have the same effect of pushing the rifle forward.

I don't think I am phrasing my question adequately.

Last edited:
Your rifle would have to weight a ton to eliminate the need to load the bipod.

You should load the bipod and pull the grip towards yourself. The amount you pull the grip will vary some from one rifle to another based on its weight. I think the old rule of thumb is to pull the grip about what the rifle weighs. Really you have to adjust until you get it right.

I hope this helps some, I’m not an expert just a redneck.

Again I don't think I am explaining myself very well. So is there anyone using the Atlas and have fired with the legs at 45 degrees forward and how do you go about loading the bipod?
I may need to mount my old 2.5-10 scope and get to the range when the weather improves. I have watched several videos on loading the bipod so I have some understanding of the process. Have fired less than 200 rounds and many/most of them have exclusively to zero different ammo.

Thanks to all for the advice. DannC

You just lean forward into it as you would otherwise, just enough to take the slack out of it
Again I don't think I am explaining myself very well. So is there anyone using the Atlas and have fired with the legs at 45 degrees forward and how do you go about loading the bipod?

How about you take the legs off the thing, put them straight down like it is intended and put forward pressure on the rear of the stock to load the bipod and drive the rifle. With the legs forward and you pushing forward you are essentially raising the rifle up then the recoil makes the rifle move rearward where settles and the sights go low. Quit trying to reinvent the wheel. You want to see a video of how its done?

And no a 15# rifle will still move. A break helps TREMENDOUSLY! Area419 is a great break.