• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Atlas feet

htorano

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2010
Puerto Rico
Im wondering what feet people are using on their Atlas. Im having a a bit of trouble loading my bipod when im under the roofing at the range. The floor is a regular concrete floor. Im using the standard rubber feet on the Atlas, which works well for one shot. After recoil, however, I have to pull the rifle back into my body before loading it again, as it slips forward a little bit. Any ideas?

Re: Atlas feet

If it's one of the slick style concrete floors, you might try using a shooting mat that has more grip to it. I've also seen mats that have a strap or pockets sewn into the front of them to give the feet something to grip into.

The only thing I've ever found works on slippy concrete is a damp hessian sandbag. In fact the good old sandbag is hard to beat, its just they are heavy, soggy and shed sand everywhere. The modern world still hasn't found anything as good, cheap, or as flexible for a shooting aid!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it's one of the slick style concrete floors, you might try using a shooting mat that has more grip to it. I've also seen mats that have a strap or pockets sewn into the front of them to give the feet something to grip into. </div></div>

Do you remember the brand on the one with the straps/ pockets?

Practice.

I shoot a well worn Harris over the back of a squad car.

When I switched to the Atlas the rubber ball feet and the extra flex makes it even easier to load.

Sure you can slap on claws, hooks, skis, bags, bells, whistles, etc. But is that going to make you a better shooter?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Practice.

I shoot a well worn Harris over the back of a squad car.

When I switched to the Atlas the rubber ball feet and the extra flex makes it even easier to load.

Sure you can slap on claws, hooks, skis, bags, bells, whistles, etc. But is that going to make you a better shooter? </div></div>

I agree, but, theres a competition coming up at 100 yards, and Id much rather shoot from the ground than from a table. So, while id rather practice with the extra difficulty, I want to be able to bu a little more sturdy on that day

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hanks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it's one of the slick style concrete floors, you might try using a shooting mat that has more grip to it. I've also seen mats that have a strap or pockets sewn into the front of them to give the feet something to grip into. </div></div>

Do you remember the brand on the one with the straps/ pockets? </div></div> Midway USA Pro Series Shooting Mat

Haven't used it myself though, as it only came out a couple months ago.

What about a thin rubber matt?

Ive seen rolls of this black looking rubbery stuff at my local hardware store.

I reckon if you had a shooting matt sized bit of that stuff and were prone on it, your bipod would not move at all.

It would be rubber on rubber. It would roll up easily but would be heavier and not as easy to store as a dedicated shooters matt.

Food for thought.

I use a piece of rubber roof material when the range is wet and muddy and then throw my mat down on it. I never used it on concrete it, may work good for that as well. I really want to get an atlas with the AI spigot and the claw feet but that puts it over $300.00, Ouch! Gotta save my pennies and get one though.

I just wish I could justify spending the money on an atlas, sure would love one
frown.gif

I went ahead and got one on the way. I have no self control. I like my Harris pods but they are just a little too spongy when I load them. I want something rock solid. Guess rock solid costs three times as much. I tell everyone else to cry once. Guess it's my turn.

By the way, I spoke with Kasey (Accu-Shot) yesterday and he said that the claw feet really hold well on concrete but I don't know what would happen with recoil. I guess it would still jump.

Now I'm with you guys, still working through my proper body mechanics and NPA and making sure I'm correctly loading the bipod, but just to clarify earlier posts, if the rifle is jumping its not your bipod. Lowlight really went into this a few months back and posted some photos, 300wm I believe it was. No hoping no sliding just proper recoil managment.

Headgear,Thanks for the patronage in buying our bipod.

I need to apologize for the apparent mis-understanding regarding the cleat feet, I do not suggest them for use on ANY hard surface.