• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Atlas on a savage information

timelinex

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2011
    Scottsdale,Az
    Ok, so I have been thinking and I might take the plunge to buy an atlas for my savage fcp-k. From everything I've read, I need a seekins srs rail. When I get this rail, how do I attach it? From my understanding I have to take out the studs already in there, but will they come out or do I have to break them out(accustock)? Also what model/spacing will I need of the rail?

Since this takes up both my sling studs can I still attach a sling to someplace on the atlas?

Lastly I have a question about the no clamp/clamp/ADM Lever options. What are these? What will the difference be between all those options.

thanks

Re: Atlas on a savage information

Putting an Atlas lever type bi-pod on my target rifle being built now. There is three types of attachment. One that clamps without lever has two screws that you tighten up to rail with allen wrench or screwdriver. Lever type, like the one I have in hand, has one screw that can be tightened with allen wrench, to add tension, but is tightened up by cam lock when using lever. The other type is a spigot type and is not made to mount to rail.

No... It's not like a Harris and I don't see where you could mount a sling to it. Using a McMillan A-5 stock. I'm having my stock made with 2 threaded holes to mount small lenght rail to it, then behind those two holes, to mount rail, a flush cup for the sling. Rail only has to be 1.6" in lenght for Atals, so we're cutting a picatinny rail to 1.6" long to go to forestock with counter sunk holes for the screws to mount flush. The threaded inserts will be "T" nut types and placed in stock before bedding. I hate rails.

Anyhow, thats how I'm attacking the issue to mount Atlas and have a sling.

So if I get the no clamp option it will attach to my stock just like a harris bipod with no need for a rail??

You will want the CLAMP or ADM Mount. The NO CLAMP is made to attach to a spigot for a TRG or AI stock.

The Clamp option uses two screws to tighten the clamp to your purchased and installed rail. The ADM Mount is a throw lever than needs zero tools (i.e. screwdriver) to tighten.

Hope this helps!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timelinex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So if I get the no clamp option it will attach to my stock just like a harris bipod with no need for a rail?? </div></div>

No, you will have to have at least a small rail mounted to your forestock to mount the Atlas. You will have to use the clamp on style or the lever style. Either will work on a Picatilly rail. It won't connect to QD stud like the Harris.

got it. And which seekens am I going to need. It seems like there is 2.0, 2.5, 3.0... Do I just measure the distance between my front two studs and thats the one I need?

I don't know anyone with an atlas, so this is the first I've had to deal with anything other than quickly attaching a bipod to a factory stud.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jammer61</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you buy the atlas rail that they sell for it, it comes with a flush cup in the rail that you can use. </div></div>

This is true about the flush cup, but I think he's trying to figure what rail to use for the threaded holes and the spacing apart of them he alrady has in his forestock. You need to call Seekins or Accu-Shot (Atlas) to see what the spacing of the holes to mount their rails are.

Measure your studs and order the one that fits. That's what I did anyway. We'll find out if I did it right in a few days.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Measure your studs and order the one that fits. That's what I did anyway. We'll find out if I did it right in a few days. </div></div>
    Thats what I figured, but doesn't hurt to ask!

So If I buy the adm lever version, I will be able to take it off and move it from rifle to rifle very easily(as long as they have a bottom piccanty rail).

Does the adm version have any disadvantages other than price? Seems like it might introduce extra possibility for slop under recoil.

If you buy either the ADM or Clamp on, you will be able to move it from pic rail to pic rail. The ADM requires NO tools to put on or adjust, the clamp on needs a Allen wrench to loosen the two tensioning screws.

We have both styles in stock
    http://www.triadtactical.com/Accu-Shot-Atlas-Bipod.html

As well as the other mounting accessories.

Tanks for the link, it gives me a better idea of what its gonna have to be. I was planning on getting the atlas from triad..

Last question about the rail, is any rail good, or is something more expensive like the seekins actually needed. Not trying to cheap out, but sometimes some things are overkill.... Don't need a hensoldt on your paintball gun!

Last question on the atlas is what about it makes it so slow to deploy. Looks like thats the main complaint, but from pictures I can't see why? You don't just pull the legs back and and thats it?

There's a button at the top of each leg you have to push in before you can move the leg. It's not slow. It's just slower than the harris.