• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Atlas or harris

Re: Atlas or harris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bradu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm curious as how much being able to pan is helpful when in the prone position? I have looked at the atlas bipod for the last few months and just not sure I want to drop that kind of money on it for that feature. </div></div>

It's surprisingly helpful depending on the surface. I was shooting on a mostly dirt surface a few weeks ago where the targets were positioned across perhaps 20 degrees. I started off by working the bipod feet into ground so that I could pre-load them when shooting. As we shot different targets, I could leave the feet in place and move my hips left and right to line up behind the rifle.

—Andreas

I have lots of Harris bi-pods and one Atlas. If you have the extra to spend on the Atlas, you won't be disappointed. I love mine.

Once I used an Atlas V8 bipod, it became evident to me that the functions offered by the Atlas benefitted me more that those offered by the Harris. I now own two and will purchase another. Try one and see if it benefits you.

Its faster to deploy the harris as said above. I liked the swivel on the harris paired with a pod loc, seemed more natural than the atlas to me.

The atlas seemed better built and loaded way easier than the harris. Each has its advantaged IMO.

Wow! It is an honor to have the Atlas compared to the Harris which by most counts is the standard of all bipods.

I am thankful to all that have tried the Atlas and humbled to have the support of those that like it.

Thank you for all your comments, we will continue to listen to our customers towards building the best products we can.

Kasey,

When is the bigger one gonna be available?

Milo-2, Thank you for the interest the Atlas 5-H will be available to the public in 2012 (yes I know that vague, but it's really the best I'm willing to offer, sorry).

If interested we do have a Atlas 5-H contact list we will use to update interested parties through. Email us at [email protected] with Atlas 5- H in subject line. Then tell us you want to be added and we'll do it!

A little background- The last Atlas rocket, "Atlas 5" was deemed the "Heavy" and was given the "H" designator, thus the Atlas 5-H. Seemed like a perfect name for this bipod.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Andreas</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bradu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm curious as how much being able to pan is helpful when in the prone position? I have looked at the atlas bipod for the last few months and just not sure I want to drop that kind of money on it for that feature. </div></div>

It's surprisingly helpful depending on the surface. I was shooting on a mostly dirt surface a few weeks ago where the targets were positioned across perhaps 20 degrees. I started off by working the bipod feet into ground so that I could pre-load them when shooting. As we shot different targets, I could leave the feet in place and move my hips left and right to line up behind the rifle.

—Andreas </div></div>

Sounds like I will be buying an Atlas soon.

The Atlas bipod is the new standard for custome built bipods and I like Haris, but the Atlas is what I want to use not what I have to use.....

I have lots of Harris bipods lying around that are not the swivel type, and they never get used.

But my Harris swivel and my Atlas are both good.

The Atlas has a nicer look and feel.

But my Harris has killed 14 ruminants, and my Atlas has not killed anything yet.

Don't get your finger between a recoiling bipod and a truck door. I'm still healing 6 weeks later.

I've run both. The Harris S models with a KMW Pod-Loc worked well, although I like the versatility and compactness of the Atlas better. It's also quieter since there are no springs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A little background- The last Atlas rocket, "Atlas 5" was deemed the "Heavy" and was given the "H" designator, thus the Atlas 5-H. Seemed like a perfect name for this bipod. </div></div>

Sort of--the Atlas V is part of the EELV rocket family along with the Delta IV. The Delta IV comes in several variants, one of which is the "Heavy" version with 3 common-core boosters strapped together. The Atlas V has the hardware for a triple-barrel configuration and there is a possibility of an Atlas V (Heavy) with 3 of those boosters all launching at once but so far it's just conceptual. One thing, though--the Atlas V is one LOUD sonofabitch of a rocket--at the last west coast launch for one, it was still clearly audible ~3 minutes after liftoff and that was rather impressive. OK, OK, it was a relatively quiet (until T-0) night, but I was still surprised how much and for how long it shook the ground.

Here is a picture I took from a spot where we weren't supposed to be (<3 miles away--closer to the pad than even the media were allowed to go) of the most recent Atlas V launch:
DSC_0058.jpg

And here's one HH6 took of the shot before that from a little farther away (4 1/2 miles or so)--I was happy this one came out since there was a solid cloud deck ~1000' up but right when the rocket broke through there was enough light for her camera to behave (still learning how to run it in low light) and fire the shutter:
DSC_0034.jpg

For what its worth, I have run Harris on everything I own for years. I have been looking at the Atlas for the longest time. I just couldnt get myself to drop the cash on a bipod thinking is a bipod really worth that much. Does it really make that much of a difference. Well when I finally got to try one I immediately bought one. Now all I have is Atlas's and I have got rid of all of my Harris bipods. I never would have thought I would not only drop that much cash on one let alone several. Worth every penny IMHO

Harris = Savage, Atlas = Surgeon

Shooting from a bench with heavy recoil the Atlas wont fold up on you causing your rifle to tumble on the ground making you the laughing stock at the range (happened to someone I know).

And the most important reason, She thinks my Atlas is sexy
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dstewart51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Harris = Savage, Atlas = Surgeon..
And the most important reason, She thinks my Atlas is sexy
smile.gif
</div></div>
blazing-saddles-gucci-saddle-bag.jpg

In the 1974 movie Blazing Saddles, the new black sheriff has Gucci brand saddle bags. He later seduces Madeline Kahn.
But the Gene Wilder character is actually a better shot, and only has generic saddle bags.

Thanks again guys, it is an honor to have your support.

jvencius, thank you for the correction, my google fu is weak and I went with the first basic description in my search of a name that made sense. The photos and back ground are awesome and that is one thing I would like to see someday. I bet it was a hoot! We have a customer that was going to let me know on next launch, he is involved somehow, but logistics, weather and a thousand other factors play into each launch.

I agree the Atlas is slower than other bipods to deploy the legs on.

And I'm going to suggest that one should consider the whole act of getting into a firing position when running the clock, not just folding the legs out.

IF quick leg deployment was a criteria in the specifications we built to based on the SCAR requirement, we would have addressed that. It was not asked for nor a expressed expectation based on professional input into that program. (and this was way before the MW3 debut...
smile.gif
)

Having said that, once the V5 is up and running, we have a project to get done for one Mark B., and two smaller ones then Lord willing, I'm going to make a Atlas for the comp shooters. And I guarantee you the legs will deploy fast and NOT collapse when panning or moving the bipod. I've been working this in my head since the first complaint about the Atlas leg deployment speed. (Please do not ask when can you get either bipod as I have no idea and really do not have that time prediction skill set! The best play is to get on our contact list, we'll use it for all new product releases and updates. [email protected] )

Again I sincerely appreciate all your support, those that have tried the Atlas and it did not meet your expectations, I'm glad you gave us a fair shake. The fact the resale market is strong for the Atlas you should be able to sale it and take some of the financial sting out of it.

I have had both and now I only have an Atlas. The feature I like the most about the Atlas is being able to lock the legs at a 45* angle. And it is rock solid this way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks again guys, it is an honor to have your support.

jvencius, thank you for the correction, my google fu is weak and I went with the first basic description in my search of a name that made sense. The photos and back ground are awesome and that is one thing I would like to see someday. I bet it was a hoot! We have a customer that was going to let me know on next launch, he is involved somehow, but logistics, weather and a thousand other factors play into each launch. </div></div>

No worries--happy to help. I'm an unabashed rocket dork and it helps that HH6 is stationed at the main West coast launch base so info like that is easy to come by for me. The thing with spacelift boosters, as opposed to Minuteman ICBM test launches, is that the date/time they actually lift off is ALWAYS flexible and subject to change. I live here (when I'm not away at school) so it's no big deal for me if a launch gets delayed for a day or three, but for the folks who come into town/make hotel reservations/etc. to see a launch, having a delay makes for some hectic rearrangement of travel plans.

"but for the folks who come into town/make hotel reservations/etc. to see a launch, having a delay makes for some hectic rearrangement of travel plans."

Bingo!

I hope to be able to travel out that way and just hang out till one goes up. MY POC told me the problems (some of them anyhow) that can dictate launch delays, they are numerous.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope to be able to travel out that way and just hang out till one goes up. MY POC told me the problems (some of them anyhow) that can dictate launch delays, they are numerous. </div></div>

If you just want to see a launch, it's better to plan for a Minuteman III FDE shot--those usually go on time and the next one is 2/25/12 (probably at 0200 or so) since spacelift boosters are somewhat iffy for launching on the original scheduled date/time.

I prefer the Harris 6"-9" off the bench and the Atlas prone as they are easy to "load" forward. I like the Phoenix tactical pod claws for the Harris in prone as well. If you go with Harris get Slock (swivel) and notched legs as they are much easier to adjust while behind your rifle.

If you want speed Harris but you have to upgrade it, dang thing will not stay locked. If you have time Atlas all the way nothing more nothing less.

I just sold a bunch of stuff and padded my Paypal account up just enough to get an Atlas V8.1 with the ADM QD mount and it is worth every penny to me. So far I really like it and can get stable on any slope or angle. Very solid and great design, it swivels and cants smooth as butter and being able to deploy the legs at 45* lets you get comfortable at many heights between the notches.

I have a Rock Creek with the claws, a TangoDown, a Harris notched leg "swivel" with Pod Lock and now the Atlas. I like them all but the Atlas wins hands down on design in my book. The Harris and the Rock deploy really fast and the feet spring out but if split seconds don't count then the Atlas would get the nod every time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow! It is an honor to have the Atlas compared to the Harris which by most counts is the standard of all bipods.

I am thankful to all that have tried the Atlas and humbled to have the support of those that like it.

Thank you for all your comments, we will continue to listen to our customers towards building the best products we can.

</div></div>

Got to say Kasey, your dedication to product improvement and consumer input is outstanding!!

I'm still running Harris, but would like to give a V8+ another shot at swaying that one of these days
Nothing man made is above reproach, its how the producer interacts with the end user that sets companies apart. I've had great service from both BT and Harris.

I'll stop by at SHOT Kasey, looking forward to shaking you hand and putting a face to a name...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks again guys, it is an honor to have your support.

jvencius, thank you for the correction, my google fu is weak and I went with the first basic description in my search of a name that made sense. The photos and back ground are awesome and that is one thing I would like to see someday. I bet it was a hoot! We have a customer that was going to let me know on next launch, he is involved somehow, but logistics, weather and a thousand other factors play into each launch.

I agree the Atlas is slower than other bipods to deploy the legs on.

And I'm going to suggest that one should consider the whole act of getting into a firing position when running the clock, not just folding the legs out.

IF quick leg deployment was a criteria in the specifications we built to based on the SCAR requirement, we would have addressed that. It was not asked for nor a expressed expectation based on professional input into that program. (and this was way before the MW3 debut...
smile.gif
)

Having said that, once the V5 is up and running, we have a project to get done for one Mark B., and two smaller ones then Lord willing, I'm going to make a Atlas for the comp shooters. And I guarantee you the legs will deploy fast and NOT collapse when panning or moving the bipod. I've been working this in my head since the first complaint about the Atlas leg deployment speed. (Please do not ask when can you get either bipod as I have no idea and really do not have that time prediction skill set! The best play is to get on our contact list, we'll use it for all new product releases and updates. [email protected] )

Again I sincerely appreciate all your support, those that have tried the Atlas and it did not meet your expectations, I'm glad you gave us a fair shake. The fact the resale market is strong for the Atlas you should be able to sale it and take some of the financial sting out of it. </div></div>

That's what I like to hear! Thanks. It's my only complaint towards the atlas is it can be slow to deploy. I'll be interested to see what you come up w/

Those Atlas are a piece of crap.
Just buy a Harris.
Then maybe I won't have to wait so long to get an Atlas off backorder.

I just got my Atlas through Sniper Company. It was to be direct fullfilled and the other company messed it up. I spoke with Shaun ( the owner ) of Sniper COmpany and he pulled one he just got in from his inventory and 2 day shipped it to me. What a great company to deal with. I havnt mounted my Atals since i just got it today, i was considering the harris with the rota pod but for about 50 bucks more you get teh Atlas. i had one question that i already got answered on another post, it was about the knob on the bottom for the pan and cant, the bipod didnt move at all. i was told that they are stiff when you get them and it will work fine once you install on your rifle, the workmanship and or craftsmanship is second to none vs. the harris. from what i understand the person who designed the Atlas went to Harris before he marketed his and said to him about some changes for the better and was more less told to go away, guess harris shoulda listened.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D&DLONGRANGE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">go atlas all the the way, </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kahai808</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D&DLONGRANGE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">go atlas all the the way, </div></div>

+1 </div></div>

+1 Atlas ATW

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your support!

sobrbiker883, That sounds great we are in 20135 in the LE section.

rdnkasole, I did talk with Mr. Harris and considered it an honor to do so. He was not at all receptive to any ideas about the bipod, in fact he stated "you cannot improve the bipod". My take away was it was cool to meet him, he reminded me of my grandfather and I knew I never wanted to have that opinion of our products.

So what I get out of all this...

So if you are in a comp. = Harris
If you hunt = Harris
If you need to deploy FAST = Harris
If you want to save $ = Harris
If you where in combat would you want the slower atlas?

Those running both, Is the ATLAS more accurate? Can you shoot tighter groups when you remove your Harris and mount your Atlas? This should be the only reason for having the atlas if the above points are all true.

finbox,

Now that is funny right there.

Going through all these pages ("So what I get out of all this...") and coming to the conclusion that because one can deploy the legs faster on a Harris makes it a superior choice is dismissive of the majority of posters to this thread.

Here is a question; Does the purpose of a bipod stop after the legs are deployed?

I've been using Harris for years and ran one in a recent Rifles Only class on my OBR. I tried an Atlas from another student's rifle while I was there and there was a difference. I picked one up and am in the process of getting another. If you take out the quick deploy issue, I think the Atlas is a better choice due to the design and construction. It eliminates the weaknesses (sp?) of the Harris design. I maybe able to get a video of someone deploying both to illustrate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: finbox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what I get out of all this...

If you hunt = Harris

Those running both, Is the ATLAS more accurate? Can you shoot tighter groups when you remove your Harris and mount your Atlas? This should be the only reason for having the atlas if the above points are all true. </div></div>

I used a Harris before my Atlas.

Its not like there is a huge difference in deployment time. Is the Harris a bit faster, yes. In the real world would it make a difference for 95% of the shooting for 95% of those who own them, not likely.

For me, the simple fact it can not fold up on the bench form a heavy recoil is enough. Add in the beefy CNC and stainless components, cant/swivel and Pic rail mount its a clear choice. Im one of the 95% that realize 2 extra seconds to deploy the bibod is not going to cause me any undue grief at the shooting range but appreciate the quality construction, adjustability and aesthetics.

Note, statistics above are just my take, no actual study or poll has been conducted.

dstewart51 I'm with you, the extra time to deploy isn't enough of a reason to choose the Harris over the Atlas. Here is a short vid poorly showing the difference. Both are students so I bet with more practice deployment of either could be smoother.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0Jt6yPHbMN8"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0Jt6yPHbMN8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: finbox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what I get out of all this...

If you hunt = Harris

Those running both, Is the ATLAS more accurate? Can you shoot tighter groups when you remove your Harris and mount your Atlas? This should be the only reason for having the atlas if the above points are all true. </div></div>

First, in my experience the above, oversimplified summary is incorrect. I have not found either bipod to be more accurate that the other from the bench or prone. What I have found is that the Atlas gives you FAR more support options in the field.

The best answer I can give you is that when lives are on the line the Atlas gives me the better chance for solid support. That is why I have an Atlas on my working rifle. The only time I had to deploy an Atlas wile shots were being fired, I did not find the deployment speed to be an issue. That should be the telling factor far more than a shot clock.

Do all my rifles need Atlas bipods? Nope. Since there is no swivel stud attach option, I continue to float a Harris between rifles that I want to keep light and rail free. I will probably buy a couple more this next year to equip my AR10 and my wife's competition rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">finbox,

Now that is funny right there.

Going through all these pages ("So what I get out of all this...") and coming to the conclusion that because one can deploy the legs faster on a Harris makes it a superior choice is dismissive of the majority of posters to this thread.

Here is a question; Does the purpose of a bipod stop after the legs are deployed?

</div></div>I thought the reason for the bipod was to have the options to hold each leg as a forward grip. Is that not the reason for a bipod?

Tbone40X - uhhhhhh what was that at 0:38 in that video?

That was fast.....

strangedays - that is the reason for a bipod! Another lesser known use is providing service as a field expedient toilet paper holder. Dig through that sack of snipery stuff you got for Christmas and you'll find these tips and more in the V8.217 SFMODS (Snipery Field Manual On Pods).

That was the harris leg getting caught on a piece of wood and inadvertently extending and locking on the shooter. I think you can prevent that by locking them down with the friction screw on the front of the leg. I think it could happen on the Atlas too, but not nearly as easy.

Again...

It is a training issue. Can everyone do this? I don't know, maybe I am just a bad ass
confused.gif

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qdOu2AbHejI&feature=youtu.be"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qdOu2AbHejI&feature=youtu.be" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Tbone40X, thanks, if you ever see a Atlas leg inadvertently extend, please let me know.

Brian, there is no "maybe" about it!

(I've always wondered about your screen name, now that's funny.)

After reading through all this stuff. Looks like Atlas is a superior bipod. I was going to buy a harris but, after watching the videos, um yea, atlas kicks serious ass. If anyone here has the edge is the fact that LoneWolfUSMC has actually used the bipod in a high stress situation and has proven very effective. I like doing things right the first time. Not to mention B&T offer a mil discount which is right up my alley.

They are both WAY over priced. They are bipods for goods sake. I'm not one to buy cheap when building a rifle. I like to have quality parts and equipment. But, there is just no way to justify paying 180 or even 280 for any kind of bipod. This is one area where UTG or any other knock off chinese crap will work. The knock off harris bipods at wally world more than acceptable.

Let the flaming begin.

^ not to flame but you can see obvious quality in the atlas pod. I mean yea you can use a 30 dollar bipod from Walmart but, it's not gonna be near the quality of an Harris or atlas. I mean the machining in the atlas is head and shoulders above the cheap knock offs.

i would buy the atlas with QD. i just got one and it is a very well made bipod and very sturdy.

thank you
joe

Mutt, I have personally broken 3 cheap bipods including a versapod and one Harris. I have yet to tear up an Atlas, trust me I have tried.

Harris is a good bipod, but Atlas is way more useful in different situations, to me, that is its biggest advantage.