• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Atlas vs Harris bipods

USMCCOMBATVET

Private
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2013
Dublin, OH
Have a Tac Ops Rifle on order and wondering what opinions are on Atlas bipods vs. Harris. I've used Harris is the past and wanted some opinions from people with Atlas bipods on the benefits. Thanks

It's personal preference, some love the Atlas and will never go back to a Harris, others hate the Atlas and feel the Harris is better for them.

It's like asking what everyone's favorite color is cause you want to buy a new rug for your house.

Find out which works best for you, I personally favor the Atlas for a variety of reasons.

Have both and my personal preference goes to the Atlas, I really like the way they load, the Harris is setting in the safe.

it's a love/hate relationship with the Atlas. But in the end I'd take one over a harris any day.

I think there are a few threads on the great Harris vs. Altas debate. Get a Atlas, there good to have in your gear pack.

You might want to do a search on the topic. There are several threads where this has been thoroughly been discussed. You'll get lots of info on what people like and dislike about both bipods.

I have both, and for ME the Harris is much faster to deploy in competitions (even without the string mod).

With a peice of 550 string tied to both legs I can deploy them in one second.

Most of the matches I attend I would say that only 5% run the Atlas

For normal range shooting both work great.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
How many of these Atlas versus Harris bipod threads will there be ??

I have both and like both ... and find it hard to have a definitive preference.

The major differences for me ... are that since I got 3 inch extenders for my Atlas ... I can convert it from 6-9 inch to 9-12 inch and back ... that sorta makes it like two bipods in one. But the Harris is faster to deploy in the field. I've written about other differences in past threads ... but for me right now and the way I'm using them ... they are essentially interchangable.

I'm relatively new to all this but during my urban tactical training with my Mini 14 using an Atlas I found it somewhat difficult to deploy in a hurry under stress. I purchased a Harris for my bolt 308 for temporary application and it works fine BUT the springs add an additional noise when the she shot beaks and it sort of bugs me. Both seem good but they are different and I prefer the Atlas.
Bill

Springs make noise under recoil? Did you say mini 14 and urban tactical? :)

Ran an atlas for a couple years and it's back to a harris for me. That's my personal preference and much like frank says everyone's different. I have my own personal reasons for going back but i suggest everyone try both for a while to decide.

I have both. My very honest answer is that at my level of skill the Atlas allows me to perform more consistently. It is not the Harris' fault, more the conditions that I usually shoot in.
I shoot prone 90% of the time, bench 10% of the time. I shoot 95% of the time at ranges where concrete is the surface I shoot on either bench or prone. I found that the Harris hops quite a bit more on this surface than the Atlas. If I shot on a softer surface it wouldn't matter to me as much. The flexibility to load the Atlas even on hard surfaces has me using it much more than the Harris. There are ways to work around the hop, such as using a bag under the feet of the bipod (I found carpet doesn't meet my needs for this). So for the most part it is a convenience issue, I like to pack lite most of the time and will mount the Atlas so I only have to carry a rear bag.

I have both and like both. I will say that it took me awhile to get consistent with how much I was loading the Atlas. My accuracy was being effected. With the Harris I was rock solid and not moving back and forth like I was with the Atlas. I also like the way the Atlas tilts to get my rifle level on uneven ground. It looks more stream line as well. But the Harris is no slouch. Which is why I run both on two different rifles. Good luck.

Umm what? What matches are you going to.........? I've shot four big PRS matches this year and I'd say it's WAY more split then that. Probably more like 60/40 Harris

I have both.

For me, the Atlas is more something for a heavier bench rifle. It's too slow as far as adjusting the legs on the go and I had an issue with small bits of sand getting up in between the leg and sprocket area that gave me issues.

While the Harris isn't perfect and I absolutely HATE having the round adjustment 'nut' it uses to tighten to your rifle that is A. a pain in the ass to tighten enough to withstand recoil without a tool and B. if it works itself loose the bipod is all over the damn place. However, with this flaw out of the way, the Harris is faster and just as sturdy (assuming your round adjustment hasn't come loose!).

Not sure which has a weight savings, I'd guess the Atlas but not by much. The other benefit to the Atlas is that you won't need a rail attachment 'converter' as they are already setup to attack via a pic rail.

They're nice bipods, but for any shooting you do moving around or having to deploy it quickly and without flailing all over the place while prone and holding your rifle up while deploying it....the Harris wins.

I've got both. For run and gun I prefer my atlas. It stiffer, lighter, and seems more durable.

For precision shooting I prefer my 9-13 harris, hands down. I'd also take the harris if quick deployment is a requirement for you.

I use a Harris on my AR and an Atlas on my AI.
I find the Atlas is sturdier and loads easier and is more stable. Takes a few moments more to adjust the leg lengths but is a better built bipod I think.

I like how much better the atlas loads, and the pan feature. The 45 degree legs also come in handy at times and load like a sumbitch with the legs 45 back to the shooter. My issue with them is how damn tight they are, the last one I worked and worked trying to get it just loose enough that I wasn't fighting it to get it to tilt or pan. They have all been so tight that one leg lifts up when trying to tilt the rifle and a leg will push dirt before panning. That and the slower deployment is a deal breaker for me and why I run Harris bipods.

If one likes the tall and sloppy AI bi-pod - what is the Atlas like? (I have a Harris too)

I own several Harris bipods. They are solid designs (I always purchase the ones with notched legs). I am however building another rifle, and using an atlas for the ease of loading the bipod. I am a fan of the flexible legs. Try both out before buying I am sure you are bound to find someone with both that will let you test drive. Or buy the harris first, because they are so much cheaper. That way if you don't like it sell it for a couple bucks and buy the atlas.

BREAKING NEWS - ATLAS VS. HARRIS DEBATE FINALLY RESOLVED!

NEW DEBATE BREAKS OUT IN SHOOTING COMMUNITY!

ATLAS REAR/HARRIS FRONT VS HARRIS REAR/ATLAS FRONT

I have both and since I purchased my first Atlas, my Harris have been in the safe.

Many of the things people have questioned or disliked about the Atlas have been resolved with the new PSR model. If you can wait until Aug/Sept (read this release date from another post) I really feel the PSR is worth the wait.

Like stated above the new PSR tall is an amazing bipod and I was amazed at how solid this feels, even fully extended. As you probably guessed, I personally prefer the Atlas to any other bipod I've tried, including Harris.

I have both, and for ME the Harris is much faster to deploy in competitions (even without the string mod).

With a peice of 550 string tied to both legs I can deploy them in one second.

For normal range shooting both work great.

I don't shoot any matches, but that's a great idea just to have while I'm out hunting! :cool:

Cheers,

George