• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bmicek

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2017
Kansas
ATN is showing their 1280 lineup is available on their website for $5,695 with delivery in 3-4 weeks. An ATN is the last optic that’d interest me but the pricing is a shocker. Surely this is going to set the pace for other companies 1280 offerings as more come to market. Patiently waiting for someone to offer a 3x base mag 1280 optic for that same price point.

Reactions: Slides
Honestly I don’t think most serious thermal company’s even pay attention to ATN. I mean we’re talking a little over 12k difference between Iray RS75 and ATN’s 1280. Something is wrong there. One day we’ll see 1280 a little more reasonably priced but it will take time.

Honestly I don’t think most serious thermal company’s even pay attention to ATN. I mean we’re talking a little over 12k difference between Iray RS75 and ATN’s 1280. Something is wrong there. One day we’ll see 1280 a little more reasonably priced but it will take time.
That could be. Same reason I don’t consider them either. Just seems crazy they can bring a 1280 to the market for that price. At this point I’d just be pleased with an Iray quality 1280 under $10k.

Reactions: Coyote777
ATN is showing their 1280 lineup is available on their website for $5,695 with delivery in 3-4 weeks. An ATN is the last optic that’d interest me but the pricing is a shocker. Surely this is going to set the pace for other companies 1280 offerings as more come to market. Patiently waiting for someone to offer a 3x base mag 1280 optic for that same price point.
Well I'm not a fan of ATN either, but after talking with an ATN CS rep for awhile about returns and warranty, I bit the bullet.
Since it's their top tier scope, I'm hoping that they put a little more effort into making and testing them.
After talking with him, He informed me that their also having a sitewide memorial day sale and got another $300+ off the scope.
So I bought the Thor 5 1280 HD 3-30 LRF for $6360.25 shipped.
If/When it arrives in the proposed 3-4 weeks time frame and it's functioning, I'll try to give an unbiased opinion.

SJC

Well I'm not a fan of ATN either, but after talking with an ATN CS rep for awhile about returns and warranty, I bit the bullet.
Since it's their top tier scope, I'm hoping that they put a little more effort into making and testing them.
After talking with him, He informed me that their also having a sitewide memorial day sale and got another $300+ off the scope.
So I bought the Thor 5 1280 HD 3-30 LRF for $6360.25 shipped.
If/When it arrives in the proposed 3-4 weeks time frame and it's functioning, I'll try to give an unbiased opinion.

SJC
On paper, it sounds like a solid unit especially with the built in LRF. I’ll be looking forward to your review. I’m hoping it’s a home run and other companies try to compete with their price on a 1280.

On paper, it sounds like a solid unit especially with the built in LRF. I’ll be looking forward to your review. I’m hoping it’s a home run and other companies try to compete with their price on a 1280.
I'll be happy as long as it turns on, has an image better than my current 640's, holds zero, doesn't shut off under recoil and battery life is decent.
I only got the LRF model because I would like to try some longer range shooting with it.
Longer range night shooting to me is 400 yards and with the LRF/ballistic calculator dialed in with my 20-250, that should be no problem.
The rest of the scopes features will be shut off if possible.
I don't think the ATN 1280 is going to be a threat to the iRay RS75 1280 scope.
The RS75 has much better display resolution, bigger Obj glass, better warranty and removable batteries.
What turned me off was the price, 2x base mag and 30Hz refresh rate.
The Thor 5 is obviously cheaper, has the option to start with a 4x base mag and has a 60Hz refresh rate.
I know the 30Hz refresh rate was a key factor in upping battery life in the older scopes powered with 123 batteries, but with the advancements in technology over the years, I feel iRay could've offered a refresh rate choice on the RS75 scope.

SJC

Last edited:
For all of their flaws. The ATN ballistic and LRF worked great for me. This is intriguing.

Wonder how much heat that thing will generate at 60 HZ and how much battery juice it will eat up trying to process all that information from 1,310,720 sensors. That processor and the algorithms have to be on steroids.

Shit ton of ciphering gotta happen for that thing to run. One step for man, one giant leap for mankind.

Kinda like going to Thermal Talladega. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: shoots100
Wonder how much heat that thing will generate at 60 HZ and how much battery juice it will eat up trying to process all that information from 1,310,720 sensors. That processor and the algorithms have to be on steroids.

Shit ton of ciphering gotta happen for that thing to run. One step for man, one giant leap for mankind.

Kinda like going to Thermal Talladega. :LOL:
I'm told it has quad sensors, so I'm ass u me ing it can process 4 times as much data than a single sensor scope.
I've been asking ATN for some actual recorded 1280 video footage or images, but I think that they don't think that I'm able to handle so much ATN awesomeness in such a short amount of time.
You can't be to safe.
In all seriousness, I hope I can report that the scope does function flawlessly and that I won't have any issues.
We shall see.

SJC

I thought this was a interesting review

Friday Night Lights: InfiRay Outdoor RS75 RICO HD 1280 Thermal Scope

Screenshot_20230430_191452_Chrome.jpg

While optical mag and FOV are not the same, they are similar. That being said, to reduce the FOV (and allow for higher base mag), the unit would need a larger objective lens. We can see this holds true with 320 and 640 res comparisons as well.

The MH19 (384 core) and MH25 (640 core) are both ~1x units, but have different objectives to feed their respective sensor. In oversimplified terms, and all else being equal, a larger sensor will need a larger objective lens to achieve the same FOV / magnification. Additionally, a 320 sensor with 10 deg FOV should have about the same resolution (image quality) as a 20 deg FOV 640 unit. Of course other tricks (image processing), and optical changes can result in outcomes that are not perfectly in line with the above (really just an illustration to communicate an idea).

To get a rough approximation of the RS75’s view in terms of image quality, you could assume the 11.7 deg FOV at 1280 resolution should approximate the same resolution as a 640 core unit at 5.85 deg FOV (the UTC Xii is a 6 deg FOV, American made unit). Therefore, the image of the RS75 is not a step forward in image resolution as much as it is a step forward in a high quality image with a larger FOV. To take a step forward in true detail / ability to handle magnification, a 1280 core would need a 100+ mm objective (and it would be beautiful).

Nerd talk aside, I’m interested to see if this is a step up from a 640 American unit. Crazy a 1280 unit is so cheap but I’m excited for it! Electronics only get better and cheaper!

ETA: looks like they have 3 models with FOV varying from 8.8 deg to 17.6 deg. Very interesting. Their reticle editor (more should have this) and ATM Radar look pretty cool although I have my doubts about how well they will execute the radar (lite CivTAK type system, not sure if that’s a Gen 5 only tho g or not)

Last edited:
I got the 3x base mag scope because I wanted a good FOV (12x9) for the closer shots and when magnified I would have a 6x 640 resolution image, which is more than enough for the terrain I'm hunting.
The 4x base mag scope has the same FOV as most 3x base mag scopes, 9x7.
The 2x RS75 has a 12x10 FOV and the 2x Thor 5 has a 18x13 FOV.
That's a better FOV than most of the thermal spotters around.
Being we don't have any reviews of the ATN 1280 scope to confirm anything about it, we'll just have to wait till someone but an ATN salesperson gets one in their hands to review it.
I read on their website that all of the current ATN thermals are made in the USA, but I can't confirm if "Made" means assembled, built or produced.

When I purchased the Thor 5 scope, I asked about the 3-4 week advertised wait being accurate and the friendly sales person claimed it would be more like two weeks.
Being ATN, I figured the four week time frame would also be a stretch and I was correct.
During that time I've also reached out to them on social media asking them or one of their ambassadors for some type of recorded footage and still nothing.
Just like the allure of a cheap thermal clip on.....
Awez4JwCMAAbVdU.jpg

5 weeks now and nothing from ATN.
Maybe I should've asked when the proposed 3-4 week wait time began and not assumed it started the day I paid for the scope.

Just email customer service and get a status
I wish I would've thought of that !
A very pleasant ATN customer service rep called this morning apologizing for the lack of communication and with news that the Thor 5 scopes had an issue or two that popped up during testing.
No info on the issue(s), but the new ship date is around the middle to end of June now, pending successful testing.

SJC

ATN has informed me that scopes should be shipping out mid July now.
Scopes are in the warehouse waiting to be updated with confirmed issue free firmware.

SJC

Reactions: Ernest 5.56
ATN has informed me that scopes should be shipping out mid July now.
Scopes are in the warehouse waiting to be updated with confirmed issue free firmware.

SJC
Any word on the shipments? Looking forward to hands-on reviews.

Well there are three videos on U tube of the Thor 5 XD and in all of the videos the image looks like dog shit for a 1280 res scope, even in black hot.
With all the hype I was hoping ATN would be a viable option for the poor's to have a shot at 1280 res, guess not.

SJC

Well there are three videos on U tube of the Thor 5 XD and in all of the videos the image looks like dog shit for a 1280 res scope, even in black hot.
With all the hype I was hoping ATN would be a viable option for the poor's to have a shot at 1280 res, guess not.

SJC
Was debating on trying the Thor5 because I’ve been so impressed by my Thor4 2.5-25x. Surely they are better than the Thor4?

My brothers AGM Oled picture quality is definitely better, but he gets 4 hours of battery vs my seemingly endless battery life.

Overall I have had only one issue with mine. On occasion it can freeze up and I have to reset it by holding the power button down for 30-40 seconds. Ya I know, ATN Sux. But to be perfectly honest I’d not hesitate to buy one again. I don’t need to see every hair on a coyote im trying to extinguish. But I would like to be able to identify them a little farther than I currently can with my 640 res/2.5x zoom.

ETA:

My Thor4 has far better image quality than what this video is showing. For whatever that is worth.

Last edited:
Was debating on trying the Thor5 because I’ve been so impressed by my Thor4 2.5-25x. Surely they are better than the Thor4?

My brothers AGM Oled picture quality is definitely better, but he gets 4 hours of battery vs my seemingly endless battery life.

Overall I have had only one issue with mine. On occasion it can freeze up and I have to reset it by holding the power button down for 30-40 seconds. Ya I know, ATN Sux. But to be perfectly honest I’d not hesitate to buy one again. I don’t need to see every hair on a coyote im trying to extinguish. But I would like to be able to identify them a little farther than I currently can with my 640 res/2.5x zoom.

ETA:

My Thor4 has far better image quality than what this video is showing. For whatever that is worth.
If your brother uses Nitecore 16340 batteries with 950mAh, and set his usage to 3.0v instead of 3.7v (batteries are 3.7v, but that uses more juice), he will get MUCH better battery life in his AGM thermal. It's what I run in mine. 👍🏼

These batteries fit with no problem, but DO NOT order the ones with the built-in charging port, they DO NOT fit in the AGM, they are too tall...Ask me how I know. 🤦🏼 Luckily I only bought 2 of them, and I can use them in one of my Streetlight flashlights, but the regular 950mAh 16340's in the link below fit perfect and run perfect. I have about 8 of them (4 sets), and carry 2 fresh ones in the thermal, and then 2 extra sets in a Store-a-Cell to keep them together, and to keep them from touching each other in my pocket and discharging.

Stor-A-Cell for CR123/16340 Batteries

Last edited:
If your brother uses Nitecore 16340 batteries with 950mAh, and set his usage to 3.0v instead of 3.7v (batteries are 3.7v, but that uses more juice), he will get MUCH better battery life in his AGM thermal. It's what I run in mine. 👍🏼

These batteries fit with no problem, but DO NOT order the ones with the built-in charging port, they DO NOT fit in the AGM, they are too tall...Ask me how I know. 🤦🏼 Luckily I only bought 2 of them, and I can use them in one of my Streetlight flashlights, but the regular 950mAh 16340's in the link below fit perfect and run perfect. I have about 8 of them (4 sets), and carry 2 fresh ones in the thermal, and then 2 extra sets in a Store-a-Cell to keep them together, and to keep them from touching each other in my pocket and discharging.

Stor-A-Cell for CR123/16340 Batteries
awesome! I will pass that info along.

Reactions: FuhQ

ETA:

A long time ago I tried a Thor 4 scope and a friend uses the one out of five he's had as a backup.
For what their asking and with the quad sensors, I would think the Thor 5 would at least have a great display image.
After asking all of the Thor 5 users about it and not receiving any response contradicting my crappy image question , I can only assume it's crappy and they don't want to get caught giving a bad review of their most expensive scope.
They all said the scope functioned without issue during their testing and field use, so at least ATN has improved in one way and made a scope that functions properly.
Maybe they might get it right with the Thor 6, 7 or 8 ?

SJC

A long time ago I tried a Thor 4 scope and a friend uses the one out of five he's had as a backup.
For what their asking and with the quad sensors, I would think the Thor 5 would at least have a great display image.
After asking all of the Thor 5 users about it and not receiving any response contradicting my crappy image question , I can only assume it's crappy and they don't want to get caught giving a bad review of their most expensive scope.
They all said the scope functioned without issue during their testing and field use, so at least ATN has improved in one way and made a scope that functions properly.
Maybe they might get it right with the Thor 6, 7 or 8 ?

SJC

I hear ya. How about the Pulsar thermals? Any experience with those?

I've owned Pulsar NV and Thermal optics from their beginnings in the states and have had no issue with Pulsar scopes, except for the wandering temp zero shift in my Trail XP50 scope and they sent me a Thermion XP38 scope to replace it.
I know two shooters that use XP50 trail scopes and have never had an issue, so it is what it is.
I currently use an Nvis X50 and an AGM Adder TS35-384 as a backup.
My X50 had some issues, but they took care of me and the scope seems to be working 100% now.
The X50's display/recorded image is great and the Adder's 384 recorded image looks better than the Thor 5's recorded image's I've seen.
If one of the video takers told me that the Thor 5 had a great display image and that the recorded image just looks like shit, I would get one to test.
Since no one is willing to say that, I'll stay away.

SJC

I've owned Pulsar NV and Thermal optics from their beginnings in the states and have had no issue with Pulsar scopes, except for the wandering temp zero shift in my Trail XP50 scope and they sent me a Thermion XP38 scope to replace it.
I know two shooters that use XP50 trail scopes and have never had an issue, so it is what it is.
I currently use an Nvis X50 and an AGM Adder TS35-384 as a backup.
My X50 had some issues, but they took care of me and the scope seems to be working 100% now.
The X50's display/recorded image is great and the Adder's 384 recorded image looks better than the Thor 5's recorded image's I've seen.
If one of the video takers told me that the Thor 5 had a great display image and that the recorded image just looks like shit, I would get one to test.
Since no one is willing to say that, I'll stay away.

SJC
I’m currently thinking about trying the 4-40x LRF. My wholesaler has one on hand. It’s not a huge discount to retail but it’s something.

There was just a new thread started about Pulsar fairly recently, and how if it shits out, outside of warranty, you're SOL. They won't even look at it, or have you send it in. I'd steer-clear. At least AGM will fix their stuff, or try to help you out. And also, any new AGM 384 & 640 series thermals you buy from them carry a 5 year full-coverage warranty.

I have a new AGM Rattler TS50-640 that I run on my 6mm ARC bolt gun, and it's a really sweet setup.

Reactions: DIBBS and DR&M
I’m currently thinking about trying the 4-40x LRF. My wholesaler has one on hand. It’s not a huge discount to retail but it’s something.
If you have the money and they offer a good return policy, it might be worth it.
Since you have an ATN 640 res scope, you'd be the person to know if it's ATN 1280 Res hype or not.
As far as the recent Pulsar "issue", it was a scope that was discontinued in 2017 and bought in 2018.
That's why I've always stressed that you should research every aspect before a purchase of any older model thermal or NV before purchasing.
It's like buying a smart phone with a couple of zero's added.

SJC

There was just a new thread started about Pulsar fairly recently, and how if it shits out, outside of warranty, you're SOL. They won't even look at it, or have you send it in. I'd steer-clear. At least AGM will fix their stuff, or try to help you out. And also, any new AGM 384 & 640 series thermals you buy from them carry a 5 year full-coverage warranty.

How do you know AGM will help if it’s outside of the warranty? I doubt there are many AGM thermals out there past the warranty expiration. I believe they were founded in like 2019.

How do you know AGM will help if it’s outside of the warranty? I doubt there are many AGM thermals out there past the warranty expiration. I believe they were founded in like 2019.
I didn’t say outside their warranty, but it seems from what I’ve read, and several folks I’ve talked to personally that have been to their HQ, had an exceptional experience dealing with the AGM guys, they said they were very friendly, knowledgeable, answered all their questions, and came away feeling very confident in their company and CS, should they ever need it. One guy I know personally that has been there to look, said they told him even if it was out of warranty they would be willing to take a look at it and see if they can fix it for them. Seems like alright folks to me, but this is all 2nd-hand knowledge to myself, just repeating what I was told by first-hand experiencers.

Also, it seems from some googling around, quite a few of the recent Pulsar “repairs” weren’t repaired, or they sent back the same model scope with the same problem multiple. Maybe it’s because they’re located in Lithuania, and they’re focusing on the Russia/Ukraine thing 🤷🏼, but is still not a good look. Kind of like how Hodgdon has discontinued some of their IMR powders here in the states due to the stupid conflict over there, because they’re allocating production for the war. Like Lapua did with halting production on lots of different caliber brass. 🙄

Look up the threads, you’ll find them. Lots of googling led me to the brand I bought. I’m not saying they’re the best out there, I’m just saying Pulsar seems to be be caught slacking on CS and warranty repairs, so I choose the brand I felt was best based on many criteria, not just warranty or price.

There was just a new thread started about Pulsar fairly recently, and how if it shits out, outside of warranty, you're SOL. They won't even look at it, or have you send it in. I'd steer-clear. At least AGM will fix their stuff, or try to help you out.

I didn’t say outside their warranty, but it seems from what I’ve read,

I’m trying to say AGM will fix stuff under warranty. But I have zero FuhQing clue what will happen when the warranty is up. I was just comparing apples to oranges

Copy copy that’s all you had to say. No need to waste time typing up stuff about powders and brass.

I guess you didn’t like the info in the links I provided… 😂
Dude I didn’t even read the wall of text let alone click the links. You clarified it in the first few sentences of that post.

If you have the money and they offer a good return policy, it might be worth it.
Since you have an ATN 640 res scope, you'd be the person to know if it's ATN 1280 Res hype or not.
As far as the recent Pulsar "issue", it was a scope that was discontinued in 2017 and bought in 2018.
That's why I've always stressed that you should research every aspect before a purchase of any older model thermal or NV before purchasing.
It's like buying a smart phone with a couple of zero's added.

SJC
I passed on the 4-40x and went with an RH25 plus helmet etc. I currently need the ability to spot coyotes easily than I do to replace my current Thor. Currently trying to sell our house so we can move to the ranch we bought. As soon as that happens I will upgrade to the Thor 5 XD. Will definitely let you know what I think.

SJC
Any ATN Thor5 1280 Res scope users here ?
Since my post, there are more Thor5 1280 videos available on U tube and each one is equally crappy looking.
I received one response from a viable user that said he thought the recorded image looks good, but that the thermal image is degraded because of the crappy weather conditions, yet every Thor5 1280 video is crappy looking to me.
He also said that ATN might have an update available soon to make it perform better.
The dude is dropping animals using it, but I can't get a straight answer as to the image quality in the display compared to the image quality in the video's.
I'm tying to give ATN a chance here.

SJC

Your first mistake.
I try to give every thermal manufacturer a chance to prove themselves, especially thermal optics that are claimed to be made in America.
I can find an honest review on almost any brand of thermal out there, but the silence is deafening from ATN Ambassadors.

SJC

Reactions: TheHebrewHammer
I wonder if it's a sensor sensitivy problem with the atn or something with the lens not being good enough quality for 1280.

I saw the promo's for the TS60, but I think iRay dropped the ball again with the 2x base mag and estimated $10K price tag.
Plenty of good and cheap 640 res scopes that have great images and HD displays to choose from now.
To me a 1280 res scope should have a 4x base mag to take advantage of the 1280 sensor.
iRay is almost there with the Hybrid75, so I guess they want to sell some of them before introducing a 4x 1280 res scope.
SJC

Irays LRF is garbage, needs to be incorporated instead of a clamp on abomination!

Totally agree on the base mag as well, must not be many kiwote huntas in Wuhan!

Reactions: shoots100
Irays LRF is garbage, needs to be incorporated instead of a clamp on abomination!

Totally agree on the base mag as well, must not be many kiwote huntas in Wuhan!
Agreed.
They built the LRF into the G35 model that's $3-$4k, but this clamp on mess for their more expensive models ?
LRF
Even though their 1280 res scopes don't have the performance of other 1280 res scopes, At least ATN integrated the LRF into the body of the Thor 5 XD LRF models.

SJC

This is the latest example of ATN's 1280 image quality I could find from a user that's had it awhile.
ATN Thor5 XD 1280
While the scopes image in his videos look like a 160 res scope's processed videos, it seems to function and the dude is dropping animals with it on a regular basis.
At least there seems to be an improvement over the Thor 4 series.
Supposedly ATN is coming out with updates to make it better.

SJC

Last edited: