• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

atomic ammo

mosin46

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2010
florida 32621
no ammo forum,so will ask here. got some in a mixed 308 buy. shot some and it seemed to be very "hot" maybe too hot. can't check pressure of course and have no chrono but recoil seemed well above horn/fed loads (175gr match in all 3 brands). some bolt face marking. extraction & bolt lift was ok but did seem tight. guns were tikka and howa. shot ok but have held off really working with it due to above. anybody got any input? i know my findings are without much merit in a really technical way. it is expensive vs common brands so just wondering if it my guns or a common experience. thanks.

Seems there was a thread not too long ago, in semi auto maybe. Where the OP was having pressure problems with atomic ammo.

i will look. in fact remembered i shot a few in my M&P 10. had same "impression". will try and find it.

thanks jack my 308 bolt is a howa 1500 HB and tikka t3 hunter-never shot the atomic stuff in tikka-worried about 1500 and M&P findings. tikka deosn't esp like fgmm but no overpressure things seen. 1 in 11 seems to like 168 outback a lot.

I’ve had my run in with atomic.

Stay away from it. I had poor accuracy and wide pressure variations. Velocity was all over the place.

I contacted atomic and they replaced it with another lot. This second lot has mil surplus brass and grouped all over the place.

For the price I would stay with FGMM.

I bought 1K or so rounds of it from the CMP had no issues in my rifle at the time.

Than reports started to come in to the CMP about "over pressure" and they dropped the line.

Stuff I had was mixed brass (Mil brass) 175 Nos CC loads.

Look for PSA having a sale on 175 SMK FGMM at less than $200 shipped and buy as much as you can.

I bought their subsonic 223 and 308 to try and it seems alright for what it is, but pricey though.... I also bought one box (50) of 223 TMK match and I don't know if the box was dropped or what but all the bullets seating depth were off from one another and a few of them I wont even dare to fire. I just wanted to try and see if my gun like the 77gr TMK but this just proves I really need to just get into reloading.

yup just had atomic send me 2 new boxes from my batch of miss fires..the 7.62x39 subs grouped just fine for subs so no complaint on accuracy but reliability was what got me for the 1/3 failed to go off

thanks jack my 308 bolt is a howa 1500 HB and tikka t3 hunter-never shot the atomic stuff in tikka-worried about 1500 and M&P findings. tikka deosn't esp like fgmm but no overpressure things seen. 1 in 11 seems to like 168 outback a lot.

Outback 223 match stuff is pretty weak, 69gr smk was 2520fps in a mk12 clone. My 69gr handload was 2900. I have heard that atomic is hotter loaded, but not anymore so than double tap or corbon.