• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ATTN Krylon Cowboys

shoot4fun

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Oct 27, 2003
    Riverside, Alabama, USA, etc
    I recently picked up a AICS 2.-0 chassis with legacy skins that has a rifle attached. The previous owner painted the black skins with rattle-can FDE paint and I want to gently remove it. What do you guys who have removed paint from the plastic skins use that is safe for the plastic?

Well, I tried Goo-Be-Gone Graffiti Remover since it said safe for plastic. I did soften the paint but it only pealed at the edges. I tried scraping off in some inconspicuous areas but that isn't going to be a good way to go on the plastic.
    I have a buddy that does refinish (ceracoat, etc) and will just take it to him. He thinks he can blast it off without damaging the plastic finish.

Had luck with citrus strip spray gel on a lot of magpul polymer bringing off krylon. No problems but once the paint started to bubble up wiped it away and wiped it again with a wet cloth. No scrubbing or scraping. It worked awesome. Didnt seem to affect the polymer. YMMV

Reactions: shoot4fun
    I have used non chlorinated brake clean on numerous A.I. Skins and it does nothing to the plastic and quickly softens and removes the spray paint. Buy 6 cans and have at it.

Give everything a good coat and then scrub it with a soft nylon brush. A old toothbrush or the like is perfect. Noting more than that or you will scratch the surface of the skins.

Good luck my friend,

- Jon

Reactions: shoot4fun