• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Attn. Leftys...

AMG50

Private
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2010
N.E. OHIO
Im looking at buying a complete upper for an unfinished ar15 i have. Being a handloader, i would like to get one w/o a shell deflector so it doesnt jack up my brass, however, im wondering if the shells are going to hit my face when shooting it left handed. I dont know anyone with an upper reciever like that to try out. And i dont really want to spend the extra money for a left handed version. So... if there's any leftys out there that have shot one, and can chime in, let me know, thanks

Re: Attn. Leftys...

Short answer no , and the brass deflector built in to the upper doesn't damage the brass any more than an upper without one . Gas guns tear up brass faster than a bolt rifle so don't get too attached to the brass .

My upper has a shell deflector and I don't have issues with getting hit by brass, and thinking about it the brass I have kept doesn't look all the bad either.

Shooting left handed I run into more problems shooting rifles that are over gassed. If this is going to be your first ar then I would suggest you seriously consider getting one with a mid-length or rifle length gas system.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C Ward</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Short answer no , and the brass deflector built in to the upper doesn't damage the brass any more than an upper without one . Gas guns tear up brass faster than a bolt rifle so don't get too attached to the brass . </div></div>

Yep +1

cool, thanks for the advice, this will be my third AR so im pretty familiar with their tendencies, just was wondering about that upper. I figured its better to ask before i blow 5 or 600 on something im gonna have issues with.

built my LH buddy an AR15--he could not afford the Stag route
and is very happy with std Rock River and a PRI charge handle

this year he added a leave-no-trace shell catcher and shoots the heck out of it--no issues

I just got rid of a Rock River Arms and bought a Stag arms lefty and love it. I haven't noticed the brass getting messed up any diffrent from the right handed ones.

I'm a lefty and my first AR-15 didn't have a brass deflector(early 80's). The first day out I probably shot over 100 rounds, I had a bunch of small half moon marks on my right cheek from the mouth of the empty cases hitting me in the face.Not every case hit me, but I remember it was pretty distracting. The next week I bought one of those plastic snap on brass deflectors.
Get the upper with the built in deflector, your face will thank you!

yeah I've had that experience too with an old a1 upper that a friend had. He wanted to sell it and I would have bought it had it not been for the lack of brass deflector.